Re: [NH] HTML Dictionary

  • Michael Gerholdt
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
      Hi, Jody,

      > Need EDA tools on a short term or peak load basis?

      No, but thanks for asking.

      > Take a free 7 day trial!

      I'll pass . . .

      > Is there an HTML dictionary on-line?

      dunno about that.

      > Is "tag" a real word in reference to HTML?

      "Tag" refers to the characters we use to signify an "Element."

      In HTML, a paragraph is an element. <P> is the opening tag for that element,
      and </P> is the closing tag. The element is the whole thing: <P>text</P>.
      Or, in object-oriented perspective, <P>text</P> is an "instance" of the
      sorta neoplatonic-ish form which is the pure, unsullied object not yet
      tainted by time and matter. Or you, for that matter. Maybe I fit in there,
      too.

      There is often confusion between 'tag' and 'element.' This is my own version
      of that confusion. :) It might actually correspond to reality.

      Then again, Kant's version of neoplatonism wherein the ding fur sich is
      never truly revealed through the ding fur anderer might really rule the
      roost. In which case we cannot know truth unless it be specially revealed,
      for it is by nature foreign to us. (Up your alley, there, Mr. Jody.)

      To which I've always responded 'gimme dat, gimme dat, gimme dat ding.'

      Tag . . . you're it.

      Usually my excuse is not enough coffee. This time, it might be too much.

      Mike
    • Patricia Osborne
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
        At 06:29 PM 9/2/00 -0500, Jody wrote:

        >Is there an HTML dictionary on-line?

        Did a google search and got over a million hits, but the first three look
        pretty good!
        <www.google.com>

        HTML Dictionary -- Complete list with examples of all
        ...Tables How To: Web Imaging HTML Dictionary HTML Forum News...
        ...CGI Unmasked: Java Home | HTML Dictionary | News Archive |...
        www.bensplanet.com/htmldic.htm - 16k - Cached - Similar pages

        mostly complete HTML dictionary
        ... HTML, the complete guide...
        math-www.uni-paderborn.de/dictionaries/Dictionaries/HTML-Dictionary/ - 2k -
        Cached - Similar pages

        HTML Dictionary
        ... HTML Dictionary This page is intended as a on-line help and...
        ...and listing of the mark-up's of the HTML standard. If you like it or if...
        www.imrt.mavt.ethz.ch/test/dictionary.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          At 06:29 PM 09/02/2000 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >Is there an HTML dictionary on-line?
          >
          >Is "tag" a real word in reference to HTML?

          How about Webopedia? This is a clip that I got from you.

          ---------< start clip >---------
          H="WebOpedia"
          ^!SetWizardTitle Enter word to look up...
          ^!Set %Word%=^?{=_^&|^%Word%}
          ^!Set %Letter%=^$StrCopy("^%Word%";1;1)$
          ^!Url http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/^%Letter%/^%Word%.html
          ---------< end clip >-----------

          tag

          Last modified: May 5, 1997

          (n) A command inserted in a document that specifies how the document, or a
          portion of the document, should be formatted. Tags are used by all format
          specifications that store documents as text files. This includes SGML and
          HTML.

          (v) To mark a section of a document with a formatting command.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
            Hi Patricia and All,

            >Did a google search and got over a million hits, but the first
            >three look pretty good!

            Thanks for all the posts. I almost checked Web-O-Mania Larry.
            Looks like our old faithful is the only one that had it except
            for the human one, Michael. ;) Perhaps I will search for HTML
            dictionary someday and find an actual dictionary. Pat, the links
            you gave were just for Markup, except for the 404. ;)

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2000
              > "Tag" refers to the characters we use to signify an "Element."
              >
              > In HTML, a paragraph is an element. <P> is the opening tag for
              > that element,
              > and </P> is the closing tag. The element is the whole thing: <P>text</P>.

              Ok stop there. whoa stop!! Good enough. Right o bye bye.
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2000
                Hi Michael and All,

                >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!
                >Apply NOW!

                No thanks - if we click on the links in the ads that are *on the
                top* of the posts we might get a virus that will wipe out our
                whole hard drive or they might search our hard drive for personal
                data. I think *all* the eGroups lists should know that! The
                risk was probably not very high when they are *on the bottom* of
                the post. ;)

                >"Tag" refers to the characters we use to signify an "Element."
                >
                >In HTML, a paragraph is an element. <P> is the opening tag for
                >that element, and </P> is the closing tag. The element is the
                >whole thing: <P>text</P>. Or, in object-oriented perspective,
                ><P>text</P> is an "instance" of the sorta neoplatonic-ish form
                >which is the pure, unsullied object not yet tainted by time and
                >matter. Or you, for that matter. Maybe I fit in there, too.

                LOL, I must go with Grant as well.

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab and Html List...
                mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
              • phil
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2000
                  I want to add my nickels worth on these ads at the TOP of the page. I don't
                  like it
                  at all. They are OK at the bottom, but these at the top are a nuisance.
                  Are they
                  really possibly virus spreaders besides?

                  Phil E.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2000
                    Hi Phil and Others,

                    >I want to add my nickels worth on these ads at the TOP of the
                    >page. I don't like it at all. They are OK at the bottom, but
                    >these at the top are a nuisance. Are they really possibly virus
                    >spreaders besides?

                    To be honest with you, no. That is, not any more than clicking
                    on any link in eMail or on the Internet.

                    In Jesus' Love,
                    Bro. Jody Adair
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
                    be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
                    Matthew 10:16

                    (o o)
                    oOOo-(_)-oOOo

                    http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611