RE: [NH] hyper link printing

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
      > > For the html'ers. Is there a hypertext command that can be used
      > > in a fashion as an 'href' that instead of sending you to another
      > > link, it will print, on your local printer, whatever is at the
      > > address in the hyper link? Preferably, without any disruption in
      > > viewing the page you are currently viewing.
      >
      >There is but it is ie5 specific.
      >ns6 should do this as well as it is standards compliant html4 but it
      >doesn't as yet.

      I'm confused: window.print() is a standard JavaScript method; it's
      not peculiar to IE.

      >The key is the link tag.
      >The window.print() method is just the same as pressing the toolbar print
      >button.

      If you want to use XHTML as suggested below, then yes, you're
      getting into IE stuff -- at least for now, and at least until it's
      embraced as a truly open standard, rather than one that's dependent
      on Windows hooks.

      The simple, more widely compliant JavaScript method would be:

      Scott

      ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      ><!DOCTYPE html
      >PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
      >"DTD/xhtml1-strict.DTD">
      >
      >Hello world
      >Print NoName02.htm
      >-NoName02.htm
      >
      ><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      ><!DOCTYPE html
      >PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
      >"DTD/xhtml1-strict.DTD">
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
        Hello Scott,

        Is there a way to use this java command to print a remote file,
        which would be a replica of the current page without the banner

        That's what Grant had in mind and we were exploring options, or
        lack thereof, with those of us using Netscape as our browser.

        I will experiment with this java command though, the last one you
        gave me worked great.

        hrs

        --
        ¿? Harvey R. Savage
        ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000

          As i said in my post "> >The key is the link tag."

          This use of the Link tag is clearly outlined in the w3c
          see
          http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/links.html#h-12.1.2

          Following is an example of how it sould be used comes from the standard.

          <HEAD>
          <TITLE>Reference manual</TITLE>
          <LINK media="print" title="The manual in postscript"
          type="application/postscript"
          rel="alternate"
          href="http://someplace.com/manual/postscript.ps">
          </HEAD>

          imho, ie's use of the link tag is entirely compliant with the standard as
          such is non-propriety

          > If you want to use XHTML as suggested below, then yes, you're
          > getting into IE stuff -- at least for now, and at least until it's
          > embraced as a truly open standard,

          Wrong wrong wrong

          XHTML is a w3c standard. see
          http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/
          It was designed to be backward compatible with existing browsers while
          being a pointer to our xml future.
          As such if you markUp in xhtml then existing browsers will have no trouble
          in parsing and rendering the display.

          >rather than one that's dependent
          > on Windows hooks.

          Markup is just plain text with a few tags. Markup is not compiled it is
          parsed ...there are no hooks.
          Ie and ns both run on the same platform. In this case ie is more compliant
          than ns...

          > The simple, more widely compliant JavaScript method would be:

          According to the html4 xhtml standards you ought to be able to place event
          handlers in just about every element in the body. (ie4+ does ns4 doesn't
          and is way behind the play -- ns6 will)

          Apart from stuff in the HTML standard checkout
          http://www.w3.org/DOM/

          If you are interested in standards join the
          http://www.webstandards.org
          Who's latest article slams ns
          http://www.webstandards.org/wfw/ns0700.html
          And yes they are just as hard on ie.
        • Grant
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
            > As you've probably figured out I'm trying to gain the ability to
            > print a page identical to the page being viewed, but, without the
            > banner ad! Looking at it from that perspective maybe there's
            > another way to achieve it.

            Oh ok I thought you wanted to print an alternative document from the
            existing page without visiting that page.

            > print a page identical to the page being viewed, but, without the
            > banner ad!

            Here we use a stylesheet
            and create an @media rule
            Set the rule for the element(or class) we want to ignore as display: none

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            <!DOCTYPE html
            PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
            "DTD/xhtml1-strict.DTD">
            @media print
            {
            div

            display: none;
            }
            }
            <head>
            <title></title>
            </head>
            Banner add header: This will not print out
            <form>
            Hello world
            <input type="button" onclick="window.print()" value="Print" />
            </form>

            The @media rule is standards compliant css2
            OK -- ie5
            OK -- ns6
            ? --Opera 4 likely but haven't tested
            ? -- ie4 unlikely but haven't tested
            ? -- nn4 unlikely but haven't tested
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
              Hi Grant and All,

              >OK -- ns6

              Somebody please post when the final of NS6 has been released if
              it has not already in which case, let us know. ;)

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2000
                Where did that curly go? I thought I just pasted from notetab to outlook. I
                musta deleted somehow

                > @media print
                > {
                > div
                >

                > display: none;
                > }
                > }

                of course it should read

                @media print
                {
                div

                display: none;
                }
                }
              • Grant
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2000
                  > Where did that curly go? I thought I just pasted from notetab to
                  > outlook.

                  This must be some wierd outlook formating thingy. I checked my sent box and
                  the sent item looks ok but when I receive imy post the opening curly bracket
                  after the div is not there.
                  I'll try a different tack

                  @media print{
                  div{
                  display: none;
                  }
                  }
                • Grant
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2000
                    > Somebody please post when the final of NS6 has been released if
                    > it has not already in which case, let us know. ;)

                    I'm testing on ns6 preview release 2.
                    I think the final release is some time of.

                    I've also created netscape 6 version of the color picker.
                    Apart from the layout, It was pretty easy and only reqired me to change a
                    non-standard ie specific
                    event-handler "onpropertychange" in the select objects to the standard
                    "onclick".
                    http://www.markup.co.nz/colorPicker/back_to_font_netscape6.htm
                    This also works for ie but is less fun as the ie specific version. When
                    the focus changes from one option to another in ie this triggers the
                    "onpropertychange" in the select object so in ie you can dynamically change
                    the display text via the wheel or up-down keys.

                    Anyway if it's going to this easy to create dynamic pages in both ns6 and
                    ie5 then the sooner ns4 is sent to the dustbin of history the better.