[NH] Re: Update for New XHTML...upper or lowercase?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
      Hi Kevin,

      > I guess now's the time to thank Jody for that HTML Converter,
      > hey Jody any plans for an update to incorporate any of the
      > aforementioned changes?

      Nope, sorry, I am way too bust to work on that project. I fixed
      a couple bugs though. It took me awhile to find it, because I
      made it so long ago I did not remember what the name was. I
      really got to laughing at the code in it and my Continue boxes
      though. It is from way back when. Hopefully one of you can go
      ahead and work on it till it is perfected. There are still some
      minor bugs I am sure and some tags may be missing possibly. Help
      yourself to it and remember to do it on a copy of the file so you
      don't mess up a good work should there be something bad wrong
      with it.

      My DNS is in the middle of an Internic update so use this link:

      http://209.210.152.59/notetab/zip/casecvt.zip

      c ya,
      jody

      I can only please one person a day.
      Today is obviously not your day.
      Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
    • Kevin A. Krall
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
        Actually, the program works pretty well...I have been using it to
        "uppercase" all my tags (easier to read the code) and now it looks as though
        I will be using it to "lowercase" all my tags...geez

        Thanks for the update, Jody...
        and yes, if I had the time to expand and enhance it, I would...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
          Hi Kevin,

          > Actually, the program works pretty well...I have been using it
          > to "uppercase" all my tags (easier to read the code) and now it
          > looks as though I will be using it to "lowercase" all my
          > tags...geez

          It does well on all the basic tags like tables and at least the
          regular page tags I have tried. It might do all of the right.
          <g> I just don't know if I have them all in there. I think it
          is one of those things that it just need to be used and if any
          are found bad report and change it.

          Will the lower case be a mandatory thing do you know?

          > Thanks for the update, Jody... and yes, if I had the time to
          > expand and enhance it, I would...

          I know what you mean. Maybe someday, but don't hold your breath.

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
            Hi Kevin,

            > As far as the W3C is concerned yes, (I don't think they have
            > been out right successful with enforcing the standards though
            > :-)....I'm sure it's really nothing to be concerned about now,
            > as most "browsers" should be backward compatable to HTML 4.0
            > ;-)...

            Well, like usual with html, I'll wait till it breaks, then fix
            it. I don't have the time to mess with things that work and my
            pages are just basic pages, so...

            If it works, don't fix it!-)

            See ya,
            Jody

            Rom. 3:23; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9; 1Cor. 15:3-4
            Acts 16:30-31, 27:25; Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            Sojourners of the Lord

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
              >Will the lower case be a mandatory thing do you know?

              As far as the W3C is concerned yes, (I don't think they have been out right
              successful with enforcing the standards though :-) ...although this is for
              quite some time yet, maybe within the year or early part of next it will be
              accepted, and then up to the browsers to meet compliance...I'm sure it's
              really nothing to be concerned about now, as most "browsers" should be
              backward compatable to HTML 4.0 ;-)...

              Have a good weekend...

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 1999
                Tidy has been upgraded a few times since I first wrote a library to work
                with it so I thought better upgrade it after following this thread. This
                Library now incorporates a simple backup mechanism so if you are not happy
                with the output you can "restore" the original untidied file. It also uses
                the new configuration file which gives you a greater degree of control over
                Tidy's output. The library can be found at
                http://ps.gen.nz/~emerge/tools/htm%5btidy].zip
                And of course you will need tidy as well.
                http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy
                For those of you not familiar with tidy
                It is developed by Dave Raggett one of the authors of HTML4.
                It's free, validates HTML4, and works well with NOTETAB.
                It runs as a 32-bit Windows console-mode program so it's not a "windows"
                program but once set up it can be controlled from within Notetab to Validate
                any html file opened by Notetab. Besides validating your html mark-up you
                can use tidy to easily uppercase/lowercase your elements and attributes,
                indent text, output to xhtml etc
                The library works in Notetab 4.6 but I'm not sure about the lite versions.

                Kevin said

                > quite some time yet, maybe within the year or early part of next
                > it will be
                > accepted, and then up to the browsers to meet compliance...I'm sure it's
                > really nothing to be concerned about now, as most "browsers" should be
                > backward compatible to HTML 4.0 ;-)...

                I converted a few html pages to xhtml and the browsers I use (ie5 and nn4.5)
                had no trouble rendering the pages correctly.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 1999
                  Thanks for the help Grant,

                  I am in process of setting up Tidy now, I have always wanted to check it out
                  just haven't taken the time to do it and now that I know someone who is
                  using it...I'm more comfortable trying it. ;-)

                  Have you tried the Tidy http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ HTML Kit windows
                  interface?

                  Kevin