[NH] Update for New XHTML...upper or lowercase?

  • kevin@weblucent.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 1999
      Here's a tidbit of info on whether tis more noble to capitalize, or not to capitalize...

      It appears there is a new "working draft" out concerning the future of HTML...there is...it's called XHTML...proposes some new changes to our current HTML 4.0 DTD.

      All HTML in lowercase, end tags, all attributes in quotes...are just some of the more tasty morsels coming our way with XHTML.

      Full Article is here http://webreview.com/wr/pub/1999/07/16/feature/index2.html

      This stuff is highly advantageous to one who stays ahead of the game.

      I guess now's the time to thank Jody for that HTML Converter, hey Jody any plans for an update to incorporate any of the aforementioned changes?

      Have a good weekend!

      Kevin

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
        Hi Kevin,

        > I guess now's the time to thank Jody for that HTML Converter,
        > hey Jody any plans for an update to incorporate any of the
        > aforementioned changes?

        Nope, sorry, I am way too bust to work on that project. I fixed
        a couple bugs though. It took me awhile to find it, because I
        made it so long ago I did not remember what the name was. I
        really got to laughing at the code in it and my Continue boxes
        though. It is from way back when. Hopefully one of you can go
        ahead and work on it till it is perfected. There are still some
        minor bugs I am sure and some tags may be missing possibly. Help
        yourself to it and remember to do it on a copy of the file so you
        don't mess up a good work should there be something bad wrong
        with it.

        My DNS is in the middle of an Internic update so use this link:

        http://209.210.152.59/notetab/zip/casecvt.zip

        c ya,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.
        Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      • Kevin A. Krall
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
          Actually, the program works pretty well...I have been using it to
          "uppercase" all my tags (easier to read the code) and now it looks as though
          I will be using it to "lowercase" all my tags...geez

          Thanks for the update, Jody...
          and yes, if I had the time to expand and enhance it, I would...

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
            Hi Kevin,

            > Actually, the program works pretty well...I have been using it
            > to "uppercase" all my tags (easier to read the code) and now it
            > looks as though I will be using it to "lowercase" all my
            > tags...geez

            It does well on all the basic tags like tables and at least the
            regular page tags I have tried. It might do all of the right.
            <g> I just don't know if I have them all in there. I think it
            is one of those things that it just need to be used and if any
            are found bad report and change it.

            Will the lower case be a mandatory thing do you know?

            > Thanks for the update, Jody... and yes, if I had the time to
            > expand and enhance it, I would...

            I know what you mean. Maybe someday, but don't hold your breath.

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
              Hi Kevin,

              > As far as the W3C is concerned yes, (I don't think they have
              > been out right successful with enforcing the standards though
              > :-)....I'm sure it's really nothing to be concerned about now,
              > as most "browsers" should be backward compatable to HTML 4.0
              > ;-)...

              Well, like usual with html, I'll wait till it breaks, then fix
              it. I don't have the time to mess with things that work and my
              pages are just basic pages, so...

              If it works, don't fix it!-)

              See ya,
              Jody

              Rom. 3:23; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9; 1Cor. 15:3-4
              Acts 16:30-31, 27:25; Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              Sojourners of the Lord

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 1999
                >Will the lower case be a mandatory thing do you know?

                As far as the W3C is concerned yes, (I don't think they have been out right
                successful with enforcing the standards though :-) ...although this is for
                quite some time yet, maybe within the year or early part of next it will be
                accepted, and then up to the browsers to meet compliance...I'm sure it's
                really nothing to be concerned about now, as most "browsers" should be
                backward compatable to HTML 4.0 ;-)...

                Have a good weekend...

                eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
              • Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 1999
                  Tidy has been upgraded a few times since I first wrote a library to work
                  with it so I thought better upgrade it after following this thread. This
                  Library now incorporates a simple backup mechanism so if you are not happy
                  with the output you can "restore" the original untidied file. It also uses
                  the new configuration file which gives you a greater degree of control over
                  Tidy's output. The library can be found at
                  http://ps.gen.nz/~emerge/tools/htm%5btidy].zip
                  And of course you will need tidy as well.
                  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy
                  For those of you not familiar with tidy
                  It is developed by Dave Raggett one of the authors of HTML4.
                  It's free, validates HTML4, and works well with NOTETAB.
                  It runs as a 32-bit Windows console-mode program so it's not a "windows"
                  program but once set up it can be controlled from within Notetab to Validate
                  any html file opened by Notetab. Besides validating your html mark-up you
                  can use tidy to easily uppercase/lowercase your elements and attributes,
                  indent text, output to xhtml etc
                  The library works in Notetab 4.6 but I'm not sure about the lite versions.

                  Kevin said

                  > quite some time yet, maybe within the year or early part of next
                  > it will be
                  > accepted, and then up to the browsers to meet compliance...I'm sure it's
                  > really nothing to be concerned about now, as most "browsers" should be
                  > backward compatible to HTML 4.0 ;-)...

                  I converted a few html pages to xhtml and the browsers I use (ie5 and nn4.5)
                  had no trouble rendering the pages correctly.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 1999
                    Thanks for the help Grant,

                    I am in process of setting up Tidy now, I have always wanted to check it out
                    just haven't taken the time to do it and now that I know someone who is
                    using it...I'm more comfortable trying it. ;-)

                    Have you tried the Tidy http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ HTML Kit windows
                    interface?

                    Kevin