Converting Maximum Tags through Document to HTML

  • Roopakshi Pathania
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm using NoteTab to write blog posts. My aim is to first create a plain text, and then generate html from this file that I can paste in the html editor of my blog.
      So, how can I use as many textual characteristics as possible that would convert into html when I perform the conversion?
      I'm mainly interested in headings, blockquotes, and descriptive links.
      I enter links while writing the post along side the description for each link. Repeating these steps through the link dialog box available through HTML-CSS library is not what I'm looking forward to.
      Hope I've explained it correctly.

      Regards,
      Roopakshi

      Sent from my Lenovo ThinkPad
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
        Roopakshi Pathania wrote:
        > My aim is to first create a plain text, and then generate html
        > from this file that I can paste in the html editor of my blog.

        Take a look at the Markdown syntax, it may well be just what you're
        looking for.

        http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax.php

        Axel
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
          Interviewed by CNN on 15/08/2013 16:57, Axel Berger told the world:
          > Roopakshi Pathania wrote:
          >> My aim is to first create a plain text, and then generate html
          >> from this file that I can paste in the html editor of my blog.
          > Take a look at the Markdown syntax, it may well be just what you're
          > looking for.
          >
          > http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax.php

          I think the OP means to ask for some way to automatically convert the
          plaintext to HTML _inside Notetab_. Markdown is an interesting idea, but
          the means they offer to perform the conversion is through a Perl script.
          Which means you have to install Perl to do the conversion (or integrate
          the conversion into the server blogging software, like other lightweight
          markup languages -- BBcode, MediaWiki and such -- often do).

          What would be nice is a Notetab clip that did the conversion. Even an
          incomplete implementation of Markdown (or other lightweight language,
          for that matter) would be helpful. Is anybody aware of such a clip?
          Considering that Notetab already uses the PCRE engine for regular
          expressions, it should be possible to reuse parts of the Markdown Perl
          script to do the job...

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Concorde.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
            Marcelo Bastos wrote:
            > Markdown is an interesting idea, but the means they offer
            > to perform the conversion is through a Perl script.

            Well actually Markdown is two things. It is a well thought-out syntax
            and a script to go with it. You can easily adopt the first and still do
            the conversion through clips. Thinking of all the stuff that needs to be
            marked and coming up with a good, legible, easy to type, and easy to
            parse syntax is not trivial, so it pays to plagiarize the experts.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15, 2013
              Roopakshi Pathania wrote:
              > My aim is to first create a plain text, and then generate html
              > from this file that I can paste in the html editor of my blog.

              Another take on this:
              I too hate those dreadful online-editors that go with blogging software
              and prefer to paste finished HTML. But I think a two step process is
              more work, not less. HTML is an easy, legible syntax and NoteTab makes
              it very easy to type valid HTML right as you go. I convert text when I
              copy it from somewhere else and have clips to automate that as far as
              feasable, but my own work tends to be HTML from scratch - or TeX which
              offers a similarly featured syntax and can be converted.

              Axel
            • Roopakshi Pathania
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
                Hi Axel, Marcelo, and others:

                I'm aware of Markdown, but that's primarily useful in writing wikis. In fact ReStructured Text is a better option.
                But in this case, I'm still looking to make use of the option that's available under the Modify menu. I repeat my question again in the form of examples.
                Are there particular font sizes that would result in different heading levels when I use Document to HTML option?
                Just as links can be created internally by using [], can something similar be done for descriptive html links as well?
                Also, can I put some kind of quotes around my text so that it gets converted into blockquotes?
                What about Characters to HTML option under the same menu, would that be useful?

                There you go, I've revealed how deeply I've thought about it, all just to avoid redoing my writing (yes, I'm lazy).

                Thanks

                Subject: Re: [NH] Converting Maximum Tags through Document to HTML
                To: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Friday, August 16, 2013, 5:55 AM

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2013
                  Roopakshi Pathania wrote:
                  > Are there particular font sizes that would result

                  I really, honestly don't understand you. Receiving text from other
                  sources, conversion is what you have to do. But quite apart from NT not
                  having and not knowing about font sizes, what would you gain? Is there
                  ANY program that makes font size changes as easy or easier than just
                  typing "<h3%space%" which is all it takes for autocomplete to kick in?

                  > Also, can I put some kind of quotes around my text so that it
                  > gets converted into blockquotes?

                  I just type "<blqu%SPACE%" or "<p%SPACE%" which call up (several long
                  lines, beware!):

                  H="<blqu"
                  ^!InsertHtml <BLOCKQUOTE><P>^P^&^P</P></BLOCKQUOTE>

                  H="<h3"
                  ^!InsertHtml <H3>^&</H3>

                  H="<p"
                  ^!Set %varCLS%=^?[(T=C)&Class:
                  =_|last|noskip|gelb|first|skip|bigskip|hugeskip|vortit|rblock|lblock];
                  %varEMP%=^?[(T=L;H=9)Choose &Emphasis=_|CITE|EM|STRONG|BIG|SMALL];
                  %varALN%=^?[(T=L;H=5)&Align (transitional)=center|_|justify|left|right];
                  %varBLQ%=^?[(T=L;H=6)Choose &Frame=_|BLOCKQUOTE];
                  %varQUO%=^?[(T=L;H=5)Quotes=_keine^=|deutsche^=„|englische^=“]
                  :frame
                  ^!Set %varEBL%=""
                  ^!IfEmpty "^%varBLQ%" noblq
                  ^!Set %varEBL%="</^%varBLQ%>"
                  ^!Set %varBLQ%="<^%varBLQ%>"
                  :noblq
                  ^!Set %varEEM%=""
                  ^!IfEmpty "^%varEMP%" noemp
                  ^!Set %varEEM%="</^%varEMP%>"
                  ^!Set %varEMP%="<^%varEMP%>"
                  :noemp
                  ^!Set %varSTL%=""
                  ^!IfEmpty "^%varALN%" quotes
                  ^!Set %varSTL%="text-align: ^%varALN%"
                  :quotes
                  ^!Set %varEQU%=""
                  ^!IfEmpty "^%varQUO%" leer
                  ^!IfSame "^%varQUO%" "„" ^!Set %varEQU%="“"
                  ^!IfSame "^%varQUO%" "“" ^!Set %varEQU%="”"
                  :leer
                  ^!InsertWizardHtml ^%varBLQ%<P CLASS="^$StrLower("^%varCLS%")$"
                  STYLE="^%varSTL%"
                  ALIGN="^%varALN%">^%varEMP%^P^%varQUO%^&^%varEQU%^P^%varEEM%</P>^%varEBL%

                  When typing from scratch, NOTHING is easier and faster than using my own
                  HTML clips that have grown around my personal preferences. Anything else
                  is more, not less work and hassle quite apart from having one more set
                  of syntax to remember on top of all those other ones.

                  N.B: Wizards are written such, that often used options are near the top
                  and those rarely deviating from the default near the bottom. In the most
                  frequent case nothing is entered but a single <RETURN>, all the rarer
                  and more complicated cases are dealt with in the minimum number of
                  <TAB>s and other keystrokes.