Telnet to a server

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
      Greetings,

      I am trying to access my server using the TELNET utility in WinXP
      It has been 30 years since I used TELNET.

      When I am at the TELNET prompt I type the following:

      o <Same host as I use for FTP>

      I then get an error saying no connection can be made.

      Am I using the correct host designation (FTP host) and command?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
        Hi
        have you checked windows help for Telnet and what's wrong with ftp ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I am trying to access my server using the TELNET utility in WinXP
        > It has been 30 years since I used TELNET.
        >
        > When I am at the TELNET prompt I type the following:
        >
        > o <Same host as I use for FTP>
        >
        > I then get an error saying no connection can be made.
        >
        > Am I using the correct host designation (FTP host) and command?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Mike

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
          By the way, as of today HTML5 is considered feature-complete and stable.

          http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9667

          MCBastos
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
            On 12/24/2012 7:27 AM, Dave wrote:
            > Hi
            > have you checked windows help for Telnet and what's wrong with ftp ?
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            Yes I did.
            The help was no help.
            Thanks,
            -Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
              On 12/24/2012 8:10 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > On 12/24/2012 7:27 AM, Dave wrote:
              >> Hi have you checked windows help for Telnet and what's wrong with ftp ?
              >> THANKYOU DAVE M

              > Yes I did.
              > The help was no help.
              > Thanks, -Mike

              I also tried PuTTy and had the same results.
              -Mike
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
                The server you're trying to reach is still configured for Telnet sessions ?
                -fw

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 24, 2012
                  On 12/24/2012 9:56 AM, fw7oaks wrote:
                  > The server you're trying to reach is still configured for Telnet sessions ?

                  This I do not know.
                  Perhaps I better contact the Admins about this.
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike