HTML Text Editors

  • cmark50
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2012
      Hello –
      It seems that my biggest problem is that I do not have a good working handle on how to use a text editor. Note Tab Pro was referred to me as being a really nice editor, but once again, I don't know how to use all of the features. Heck, I don't know how to use any of them. Are there any videos somewhere that explain each of the features? Would love a tip on how to educate myself on the proper use of NTP.

      It can be a real drag sometimes, but I'm a visual and audio driven person. Does anyone know where there are videos on NTP, or have some additional advice?

      Thanks.
      Cole
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 15, 2012
        cmark50 wrote:
        > It seems that my biggest problem is that I do not have a good
        > working handle on how to use a text editor.

        I suggest it's not. If you come from word processors, the big change is
        not how to do things but what to do. An editor can ONLY work on simple
        pure and and primitive text. What you see is all you get, there are no
        hidden features. Now you probably say what do I mean, "hidden"? If some
        words in a word processor are large and bold you can see they are. Now
        go and type an "a" in the middle there. The key you press is just "a", a
        normal a like any other a, but what you get will be a large and bold a.
        Why? That's just what's in there somehow, but hidden from you.

        When editing HTML (just as an example) you don't want a bold letter in
        your editing window, you want your reader in his browser to have it -
        and what's more, your "bold and large" is just a suggestion anyway, the
        reader and his browser settings decide, if they want to follow it or
        not.

        So what you do is type "<BIG><B>a</B><BIG>". If you mistyped and need to
        add a forgotten letter, there's no ambiguity whatever whether you type
        it inside the big an bold area or outside it, in word precessors there
        is. You may have two big bold words and a normal space between them
        without ever being able to see that.

        So there you are. you don't need anything, no "bold" icon to click on or
        anything else. Everything that can be inside an editor at all can be
        typed right there on the keyboard. So why NoteTab and not plain Notpad?
        Well after a while typing "<BIG><B></B><BIG>" all the time will become a
        hassle and a bore and you'll wish someone were to do it for you. This is
        where the good editor comes in. Rather than wasting time watching silly
        videos it's usually easier to let it grow on you and find out about one
        feature at a time.

        This does not answer the question you asked, I'm aware of that, but it's
        the best I can do right now.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2012
          Hi Cole,

          >It seems that my biggest problem is that I do not have a good
          >working handle on how to use a text editor. Note Tab Pro was
          >referred to me as being a really nice editor, but once again, I
          >don't know how to use all of the features. Heck, I don't know how to
          >use any of them. Are there any videos somewhere that explain each
          >of the features? Would love a tip on how to educate myself on the
          >proper use of NTP.

          I don't think there are any videos. Don't be intimidated by "all the
          features". Start with concentrating on what you want to do and then
          find out if you can do it with Notetab, which you probably can, and
          how to do it. Ask here if you can't find out on your own. Once you
          have learnt a few tricks one thing will lead to another. Few people
          know all the tricks in the bag and even fewer have real use for them.

          I take it you want to use Notetab for writing HTML. There are
          libraries with pre-written scripts ("clips") that facilitates that
          and also toolbars ("clip bars"). You could start with looking at
          those. I tend to see them more as examples though and you'll probably
          want to put together your own later on. The strength of Notetab is
          that it's so customizable, but that also means that things don't
          always jump out as obvious to a new user. Once you get your feet a
          little wet you'll get hooked like the rest of us. ;-)

          Tell us some things you would like to do and we'll try to tell you how.

          Lotta
        • M
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
            Hi cmark50,

            I think Axel may have missed something. The first thing I would ask you
            is what do you want a text editor for?

            Answer that and we can help. Basically a text editor doesnot have the
            bells and whistles that a word processor does. The latter is used for
            correspondance, writing that novel and similar activities while the text
            editor is used for writing web pages, computer programs and the like.
            Let us know what you want from it. Over to you!

            Regards,
            Michael Rawley

            -----
            No virus found in this message.
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2012
              M wrote:
              > I think Axel may have missed something. The first thing I would
              > ask you is what do you want a text editor for?

              I mayx not have been clear enough, but just that was implicit in my "the
              big change is
              not how to do things but what to do."

              > a word processor [...] is used for correspondance, writing that
              > novel and similar activities while the text editor is used for
              > writing web pages, computer programs and the like.

              Not necessarily. As I write formatted text using LaTeX, the tool of
              choice still is Notetab.

              Axel
            • Fookes Software
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 17, 2012
                Hi Cole,

                Just to let you know there's a big "How To..." section in NoteTab's help
                file that you may find helpful. Just press F1 to open the help file.

                If you prefer a printable version you can download it from:
                http://www.notetab.com/doc/NoteTab-Manual.pdf

                The "How To" section starts on page 40.

                Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk