How to convert internet links to local filesystem links?

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
      Greetings,

      I downloaded my entire web site via FTP.
      I would now like to convert all the links to my local filesystem.

      I cannot come up with any utility via a Google search.

      Using a utility like WinHTTrack Website Copier will do this but I find
      it difficult to control exactly how deep WinHTTrack will go when
      downloading.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        On 11 Nov 12 15:22 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        <mike@...> said:
        > I downloaded my entire web site via FTP.
        > I would now like to convert all the links to my local filesystem.

        You need to explain a little more about your site and its structure.

        I would expect your site to have all your HTML files in the root
        folder on your server. I would expect all images to be in a dedicated
        sub-folder called "images". I would expect all links in the pages to
        those images to take the form:

        images/photo.jpg.

        i.e. be relative links. If that was the case then whether the the site
        was on your server or on your local disk, the links would work.

        That assumes you have downloaded the HTML files to a dedicated folder
        on your local disk and the images have gone to a sub-folder called
        "images". In short, I expect you to "mirror" the two structures and
        use relative links.

        Even if relative addresses were not used, it should only be a matter
        of using NoteTab to search for the "http://www.etc" part of an
        absolute address and change it to a relative one, as indicated above.

        Greg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > I downloaded my entire web site via FTP.
          > I would now like to convert all the links to my local filesystem.

          That is a bit of a problem. I have a locally installed Apache server for
          that purpose. Using that I can use a root directory href="/". On all my
          sites all internal links are relative one or relative to root, so no
          change is necessary. (Very handy for developing, no upload before
          viewing.)

          > I cannot come up with any utility via a Google search.

          Without a local server you do need to change links - a lot of hassle
          IMHO. But a simple search and replace should suffice. You have

          a) relative links "pics/mountain.jpg"
          No change necessary.
          b) Links relative to root beginning with a slash "/icons/icon3.gif"
          You need to replace that first slash with "file:///F:/directory/"
          c) Full URLs beginning with "http://epicroadtrips.us/"
          Replace that string with the one above.

          Done. All the utitlity you need right there in NT.

          Axel
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
            On 11/11/2012 11:07 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> I downloaded my entire web site via FTP.
            >> I would now like to convert all the links to my local filesystem.
            >
            > That is a bit of a problem. I have a locally installed Apache server for
            > that purpose. Using that I can use a root directory href="/". On all my
            > sites all internal links are relative one or relative to root, so no
            > change is necessary. (Very handy for developing, no upload before
            > viewing.)

            Arg!
            I forgot about PHP aspect of it.
            I have WAMP for that.