RE: [NH] How do I get HTML to show up as plain text in a web page

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
      If you're just wanting that link blurb to look like html, change the < and > to [ and ].
      html will convert it otherwise.

      Like this?:

      [p class="date"][strong][a
      href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
      title="Friday, June 11"]Friday, June 11[/a][/strong][/p]

      John Wallace
      Pontiac Power Rules !!!
      www.wallaceracing.com <http://www.wallaceracing.com/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
        From Google: [show html as plain text]

        > php - How to/display HTML/tags as/plain text/- Stack Overflow
        > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F6817262%2Fhow-to-display-html-tags-as-plain-text&ei=5cqaUPmcAqrM2AWj9YCYAQ&usg=AFQjCNH3z5wmkI3-S0xM6F0mYEU787pp8A&sig2=woDbEzRTfadnBFRkqMo__w&cad=rja>
        >
        > stackoverflow.com/.../how-to-*display*-*html*-tags-as-*plain*-*text*Share
        > 6 answers - 25 Jul 2011
        > I'm have an input form on my website where/HTML/is allowed and
        > I'm*...*replace < by < and > by >*...*In PHP use the function
        > htmlspecialchars()*...*
        This answer:
        > replace|<|by|<|and|>|by|>|
        Not tested but it looks correct :-)

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > I need all of the HTML to be visible.

          If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
          If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".

          > But it will not apply.

          Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
          of "p.date a".

          Axel
        • Don
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
            Highlight the stuff you want and then click on modify > characters to
            html > all special characters ...

            it will become plain text that displays without being actual html ... to
            preserve spacing if desired wrap in pre tags.

            On 11/7/2012 4:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> I need all of the HTML to be visible.
          • Bob McAllister
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
              Option 1

              <xmp></xmp> was a tag for Examples of HTML. Now deprecated but still works
              fine in Chrome. (Check other browsers).

              Option 2

              Use a textarea to pull your code out of the rendering.

              <form>
              <textarea rows="3" cols="80" wrap="off" readonly="readonly">
              href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
              </textarea>
              </form>

              It seems to work without the <form></form> but the page would not validate
              with a bare form element.

              Bob

              On 8 November 2012 05:58, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <
              mike@...> wrote:

              > I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page How
              > do I do that?

              > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
              >
              > I tired <pre> and <code> but that did not work.
              >

              > Thanks,
              > -Mike

            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                On 11/7/2012 11:58 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/

                Just type the link without the A Href coding
              • Jeffery Scism
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                  On 11/7/2012 1:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:

                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > > I need all of the HTML to be visible.
                  >
                  > If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
                  > If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".
                  >
                  > > But it will not apply.
                  >
                  > Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
                  > of "p.date a".
                  >
                  > Axel

                  OR Highlight <p class="date"><strong><a
                  href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                  MODIFY>Document to HTML>with Paragraph tags

                • William Cole
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                    Maybe something like:

                    target="_blank" <br>title="Friday, June 11">Friday, June

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2012
                      Wow! That was fun.
                      So many ways to skin a cat.
                      Here they are: