Re: [NH] How do I get HTML to show up as plain text in a web page

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
      On 11/7/2012 3:14 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > On 07 Nov 12 19:58 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      > <mike@...> said:
      >> I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page
      >> How
      >> do I do that?

      >> href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
      >
      > Remove the link! Or am I missunderstanding what you meant by "plain
      > text"?

      I want the link to be shown so all of the HTML can be seen.

      > Perhaps, what you seek is a "a.plain" rule that over-rides the colour
      > and underlining defaults for a link?

      Would this not still show only the linked text?
      I need all of the HTML to be visible.

      > Incidentally, why doesn't your CSS for p.date include a rule to give
      > you the <strong> effect>. Then you can dispense with the code bloat in
      > the HTML.

      I it does:

      div#content p.date
      {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}
      div#content p.date strong, p.date a {font: 95% Georgia,'Times New
      Roman',Times,serif; color:#4F4A4A; font-weight: bold;}
      div#content p.date em
      {font:95% Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif;
      color:#4F4A4A;margin-left: 10px}

      But it will not apply.
      Is there a problem with the CSS?
      Thanks,
      -Mike

      > Greg

    • John Wallace
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
        If you're just wanting that link blurb to look like html, change the < and > to [ and ].
        html will convert it otherwise.

        Like this?:

        [p class="date"][strong][a
        href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
        title="Friday, June 11"]Friday, June 11[/a][/strong][/p]

        John Wallace
        Pontiac Power Rules !!!
        www.wallaceracing.com <http://www.wallaceracing.com/>

        _____

        I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page How
        do I do that?

        href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

        I tired <pre> and <code> but that did not work.

        Thanks,
        -Mike

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
          From Google: [show html as plain text]

          > php - How to/display HTML/tags as/plain text/- Stack Overflow
          > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F6817262%2Fhow-to-display-html-tags-as-plain-text&ei=5cqaUPmcAqrM2AWj9YCYAQ&usg=AFQjCNH3z5wmkI3-S0xM6F0mYEU787pp8A&sig2=woDbEzRTfadnBFRkqMo__w&cad=rja>
          >
          > stackoverflow.com/.../how-to-*display*-*html*-tags-as-*plain*-*text*Share
          > 6 answers - 25 Jul 2011
          > I'm have an input form on my website where/HTML/is allowed and
          > I'm*...*replace < by < and > by >*...*In PHP use the function
          > htmlspecialchars()*...*
          This answer:
          > replace|<|by|<|and|>|by|>|
          Not tested but it looks correct :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > I need all of the HTML to be visible.

            If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
            If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".

            > But it will not apply.

            Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
            of "p.date a".

            Axel
          • Don
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
              Highlight the stuff you want and then click on modify > characters to
              html > all special characters ...

              it will become plain text that displays without being actual html ... to
              preserve spacing if desired wrap in pre tags.

              On 11/7/2012 4:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              >> I need all of the HTML to be visible.
            • Bob McAllister
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                Option 1

                <xmp></xmp> was a tag for Examples of HTML. Now deprecated but still works
                fine in Chrome. (Check other browsers).

                Option 2

                Use a textarea to pull your code out of the rendering.

                <form>
                <textarea rows="3" cols="80" wrap="off" readonly="readonly">
                href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                </textarea>
                </form>

                It seems to work without the <form></form> but the page would not validate
                with a bare form element.

                Bob

                On 8 November 2012 05:58, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <
                mike@...> wrote:

                > I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page How
                > do I do that?

                > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                >
                > I tired <pre> and <code> but that did not work.
                >

                > Thanks,
                > -Mike

              • Jeffery Scism
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                  On 11/7/2012 11:58 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                  http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/

                  Just type the link without the A Href coding
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                    On 11/7/2012 1:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:

                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > > I need all of the HTML to be visible.
                    >
                    > If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
                    > If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".
                    >
                    > > But it will not apply.
                    >
                    > Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
                    > of "p.date a".
                    >
                    > Axel

                    OR Highlight <p class="date"><strong><a
                    href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                    MODIFY>Document to HTML>with Paragraph tags

                  • William Cole
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                      Maybe something like:

                      target="_blank" <br>title="Friday, June 11">Friday, June

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 8, 2012
                        Wow! That was fun.
                        So many ways to skin a cat.
                        Here they are: