How do I get HTML to show up as plain text in a web page

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
      I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page How
      do I do that?

      href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

      I tired <pre> and <code> but that did not work.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        On 07 Nov 12 19:58 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        <mike@...> said:
        > I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page
        > How
        > do I do that?

        > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

        Remove the link! Or am I missunderstanding what you meant by "plain
        text"?

        Perhaps, what you seek is a "a.plain" rule that over-rides the colour
        and underlining defaults for a link?

        Incidentally, why doesn't your CSS for p.date include a rule to give
        you the <strong> effect>. Then you can dispense with the code bloat in
        the HTML.

        Greg
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
          On 11/7/2012 3:14 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > On 07 Nov 12 19:58 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          > <mike@...> said:
          >> I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page
          >> How
          >> do I do that?

          >> href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
          >
          > Remove the link! Or am I missunderstanding what you meant by "plain
          > text"?

          I want the link to be shown so all of the HTML can be seen.

          > Perhaps, what you seek is a "a.plain" rule that over-rides the colour
          > and underlining defaults for a link?

          Would this not still show only the linked text?
          I need all of the HTML to be visible.

          > Incidentally, why doesn't your CSS for p.date include a rule to give
          > you the <strong> effect>. Then you can dispense with the code bloat in
          > the HTML.

          I it does:

          div#content p.date
          {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}
          div#content p.date strong, p.date a {font: 95% Georgia,'Times New
          Roman',Times,serif; color:#4F4A4A; font-weight: bold;}
          div#content p.date em
          {font:95% Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif;
          color:#4F4A4A;margin-left: 10px}

          But it will not apply.
          Is there a problem with the CSS?
          Thanks,
          -Mike

          > Greg

        • John Wallace
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
            If you're just wanting that link blurb to look like html, change the < and > to [ and ].
            html will convert it otherwise.

            Like this?:

            [p class="date"][strong][a
            href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
            title="Friday, June 11"]Friday, June 11[/a][/strong][/p]

            John Wallace
            Pontiac Power Rules !!!
            www.wallaceracing.com <http://www.wallaceracing.com/>

            _____

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
              From Google: [show html as plain text]

              > php - How to/display HTML/tags as/plain text/- Stack Overflow
              > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F6817262%2Fhow-to-display-html-tags-as-plain-text&ei=5cqaUPmcAqrM2AWj9YCYAQ&usg=AFQjCNH3z5wmkI3-S0xM6F0mYEU787pp8A&sig2=woDbEzRTfadnBFRkqMo__w&cad=rja>
              >
              > stackoverflow.com/.../how-to-*display*-*html*-tags-as-*plain*-*text*Share
              > 6 answers - 25 Jul 2011
              > I'm have an input form on my website where/HTML/is allowed and
              > I'm*...*replace < by < and > by >*...*In PHP use the function
              > htmlspecialchars()*...*
              This answer:
              > replace|<|by|<|and|>|by|>|
              Not tested but it looks correct :-)

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > I need all of the HTML to be visible.

                If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
                If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".

                > But it will not apply.

                Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
                of "p.date a".

                Axel
              • Don
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Highlight the stuff you want and then click on modify > characters to
                  html > all special characters ...

                  it will become plain text that displays without being actual html ... to
                  preserve spacing if desired wrap in pre tags.

                  On 11/7/2012 4:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  >> I need all of the HTML to be visible.
                • Bob McAllister
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                    Option 1

                    <xmp></xmp> was a tag for Examples of HTML. Now deprecated but still works
                    fine in Chrome. (Check other browsers).

                    Option 2

                    Use a textarea to pull your code out of the rendering.

                    <form>
                    <textarea rows="3" cols="80" wrap="off" readonly="readonly">
                    href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                    </textarea>
                    </form>

                    It seems to work without the <form></form> but the page would not validate
                    with a bare form element.

                    Bob

                    On 8 November 2012 05:58, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV <
                    mike@...> wrote:

                    > I want this HTML to show up as plain text, not a link, in a web page How
                    > do I do that?

                    > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                    >
                    > I tired <pre> and <code> but that did not work.
                    >

                    > Thanks,
                    > -Mike

                  • Jeffery Scism
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                      On 11/7/2012 11:58 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/

                      Just type the link without the A Href coding
                    • Jeffery Scism
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                        On 11/7/2012 1:31 PM, Axel Berger wrote:

                        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > > I need all of the HTML to be visible.
                        >
                        > If you mean all the URL, i.e. http://.../d1/, then just write it down.
                        > If you want "<a" to be seen and not interpreted, then make it "<a".
                        >
                        > > But it will not apply.
                        >
                        > Look like specificity again. Try the full "div#content p.date a" instead
                        > of "p.date a".
                        >
                        > Axel

                        OR Highlight <p class="date"><strong><a
                        href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"
                        MODIFY>Document to HTML>with Paragraph tags

                      • William Cole
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 7, 2012
                          Maybe something like:

                          target="_blank" <br>title="Friday, June 11">Friday, June

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 8, 2012
                            Wow! That was fun.
                            So many ways to skin a cat.
                            Here they are: