Re: [NH] Styling problem

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
      I went off half cocked here.
      The <strong> is resolved, but the margin problem is not.
      That is:
      p.date
      {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
      This will not change the margins.
      -mb
      ========

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > This will not change the margins.

        It does in my example file. So there must be something specific else
        wrong your side. Is it just one browser? Is it overridden by another CSS
        directive?
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
          On 10/31/2012 3:48 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          >> I am not sure what you mean.
          >
          > If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
          > it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
          > as if your test files weren't.

          Sorry, Axel. I hate to appear dense.
          But I must be.
          I don't get your meaning.

          Thanks for your patience!
          -Mike

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
            On 10/31/2012 3:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> This will not change the margins.
            >
            > It does in my example file.

            What example file?

            > So there must be something specific else
            > wrong your side. Is it just one browser?

            Both FF 16 and IE 8 display this behavior.

            > Is it overridden by another CSS directive?

            I do have this inline styling:
            50px">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p>

            <!-- ******** PHOTO LINKS START ********* -->
            Breiding: 3 weeks in Michigan</strong></p>

            But, that's is all.
            -mb
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > I don't get your meaning.

              Alright. You have a separate CSS-file on your site. That file has caused
              issues, there were problems with comments, it didn't validate at first
              and so on.

              My sample file does not use any of that. The only CSS it sees is that
              enclosed in

              <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
              --></STYLE>

              So you can verify it works as intended in every browser you use. I say
              it does. It seems the very same directives in your CSS-file do not work.
              As they work of themselves (at least here), it must be that the browser
              does not see or apply them for some reason. You must find out which
              styling it sees in their place -- change something in those styles to
              ridiculous values and watch where they turn up. If you found the culprit
              you need to find out why it and not the intended one is applied. One
              thing that often got me is the precedence of the more specific.

              The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
              nothing to do with it.

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > What example file?

                The one I sent at 18:25 h my time, seems to be 13:25 h yours.
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                  On 10/31/2012 4:50 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                  > The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                  > nothing to do with it.

                  I will start the process of elimination and see where it goes.
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 7, 2012
                    RE:
                    > I cannot get this declaration to work:
                    > p.date
                    > {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}

                    That style was being overridden by the more specific:

                    div#content p {
                    margin: 8px auto;
                    width: 65%;
                    }

                    Using:
                    "div#content p.date{margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}"
                    Solved the problems with the margins not applying.
                    -Mike

                    ======