Re: [NH] Styling problem

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
      Solved:
      I changed this:
      href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

      To this:
      target="_blank" title="Friday, June 11"><strong>Friday, June

      I think I have been here before with Axel.
      But, previously the problem was IE not displaying the title for the link
      unless the URL and text were both wrapped with the formatting tag.

      It happens here also.
      FF displays the title, IE does not.

      My thanks to all!
      -Mike
      ----------------

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > I am not sure what you mean.

        If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
        it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
        as if your test files weren't.

        Axel
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
          I went off half cocked here.
          The <strong> is resolved, but the margin problem is not.
          That is:
          p.date
          {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
          This will not change the margins.
          -mb
          ========

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > This will not change the margins.

            It does in my example file. So there must be something specific else
            wrong your side. Is it just one browser? Is it overridden by another CSS
            directive?
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
              On 10/31/2012 3:48 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              >> I am not sure what you mean.
              >
              > If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
              > it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
              > as if your test files weren't.

              Sorry, Axel. I hate to appear dense.
              But I must be.
              I don't get your meaning.

              Thanks for your patience!
              -Mike

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                On 10/31/2012 3:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                >> This will not change the margins.
                >
                > It does in my example file.

                What example file?

                > So there must be something specific else
                > wrong your side. Is it just one browser?

                Both FF 16 and IE 8 display this behavior.

                > Is it overridden by another CSS directive?

                I do have this inline styling:
                50px">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p>

                <!-- ******** PHOTO LINKS START ********* -->
                Breiding: 3 weeks in Michigan</strong></p>

                But, that's is all.
                -mb
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > I don't get your meaning.

                  Alright. You have a separate CSS-file on your site. That file has caused
                  issues, there were problems with comments, it didn't validate at first
                  and so on.

                  My sample file does not use any of that. The only CSS it sees is that
                  enclosed in

                  <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
                  --></STYLE>

                  So you can verify it works as intended in every browser you use. I say
                  it does. It seems the very same directives in your CSS-file do not work.
                  As they work of themselves (at least here), it must be that the browser
                  does not see or apply them for some reason. You must find out which
                  styling it sees in their place -- change something in those styles to
                  ridiculous values and watch where they turn up. If you found the culprit
                  you need to find out why it and not the intended one is applied. One
                  thing that often got me is the precedence of the more specific.

                  The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                  nothing to do with it.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > What example file?

                    The one I sent at 18:25 h my time, seems to be 13:25 h yours.
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                      On 10/31/2012 4:50 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                      > The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                      > nothing to do with it.

                      I will start the process of elimination and see where it goes.
                      Thanks,
                      -Mike
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 7, 2012
                        RE:
                        > I cannot get this declaration to work:
                        > p.date
                        > {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}

                        That style was being overridden by the more specific:

                        div#content p {
                        margin: 8px auto;
                        width: 65%;
                        }

                        Using:
                        "div#content p.date{margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}"
                        Solved the problems with the margins not applying.
                        -Mike

                        ======