Re: [NH] Styling problem

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > You are getting bold?

      Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
      minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
      self-contained?

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
        On 10/31/2012 2:36 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
        > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        >> You are getting bold?
        >
        > Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
        > minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
        > self-contained? Axel

        Axel,
        I am not sure what you mean.
        -mb
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
          Solved:
          I changed this:
          href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

          To this:
          target="_blank" title="Friday, June 11"><strong>Friday, June

          I think I have been here before with Axel.
          But, previously the problem was IE not displaying the title for the link
          unless the URL and text were both wrapped with the formatting tag.

          It happens here also.
          FF displays the title, IE does not.

          My thanks to all!
          -Mike
          ----------------

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > I am not sure what you mean.

            If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
            it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
            as if your test files weren't.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
              I went off half cocked here.
              The <strong> is resolved, but the margin problem is not.
              That is:
              p.date
              {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
              This will not change the margins.
              -mb
              ========

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > This will not change the margins.

                It does in my example file. So there must be something specific else
                wrong your side. Is it just one browser? Is it overridden by another CSS
                directive?
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                  On 10/31/2012 3:48 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  >> I am not sure what you mean.
                  >
                  > If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
                  > it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
                  > as if your test files weren't.

                  Sorry, Axel. I hate to appear dense.
                  But I must be.
                  I don't get your meaning.

                  Thanks for your patience!
                  -Mike

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                    On 10/31/2012 3:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >> This will not change the margins.
                    >
                    > It does in my example file.

                    What example file?

                    > So there must be something specific else
                    > wrong your side. Is it just one browser?

                    Both FF 16 and IE 8 display this behavior.

                    > Is it overridden by another CSS directive?

                    I do have this inline styling:
                    50px">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p>

                    <!-- ******** PHOTO LINKS START ********* -->
                    Breiding: 3 weeks in Michigan</strong></p>

                    But, that's is all.
                    -mb
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > I don't get your meaning.

                      Alright. You have a separate CSS-file on your site. That file has caused
                      issues, there were problems with comments, it didn't validate at first
                      and so on.

                      My sample file does not use any of that. The only CSS it sees is that
                      enclosed in

                      <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
                      --></STYLE>

                      So you can verify it works as intended in every browser you use. I say
                      it does. It seems the very same directives in your CSS-file do not work.
                      As they work of themselves (at least here), it must be that the browser
                      does not see or apply them for some reason. You must find out which
                      styling it sees in their place -- change something in those styles to
                      ridiculous values and watch where they turn up. If you found the culprit
                      you need to find out why it and not the intended one is applied. One
                      thing that often got me is the precedence of the more specific.

                      The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                      nothing to do with it.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > What example file?

                        The one I sent at 18:25 h my time, seems to be 13:25 h yours.
                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                          On 10/31/2012 4:50 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                          > The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                          > nothing to do with it.

                          I will start the process of elimination and see where it goes.
                          Thanks,
                          -Mike
                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 7, 2012
                            RE:
                            > I cannot get this declaration to work:
                            > p.date
                            > {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}

                            That style was being overridden by the more specific:

                            div#content p {
                            margin: 8px auto;
                            width: 65%;
                            }

                            Using:
                            "div#content p.date{margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}"
                            Solved the problems with the margins not applying.
                            -Mike

                            ======