Re: [NH] Styling problem

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
      On 10/31/2012 1:41 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      >> Do you mean this?
      >> /*/*/ .clear{display:block; } /* */
      >>
      >> That was hack written by someone else for a reason unknown to me.
      >> I has been there for years.
      >
      > Leave it in. I just tried it out, my CSS still validates as CSS 3.

      I put it back in.
      Validates for me as well.
      -mb

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > You are getting bold?

        Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
        minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
        self-contained?

        Axel
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
          On 10/31/2012 2:36 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          >> You are getting bold?
          >
          > Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
          > minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
          > self-contained? Axel

          Axel,
          I am not sure what you mean.
          -mb
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
            Solved:
            I changed this:
            href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

            To this:
            target="_blank" title="Friday, June 11"><strong>Friday, June

            I think I have been here before with Axel.
            But, previously the problem was IE not displaying the title for the link
            unless the URL and text were both wrapped with the formatting tag.

            It happens here also.
            FF displays the title, IE does not.

            My thanks to all!
            -Mike
            ----------------

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > I am not sure what you mean.

              If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
              it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
              as if your test files weren't.

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                I went off half cocked here.
                The <strong> is resolved, but the margin problem is not.
                That is:
                p.date
                {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
                This will not change the margins.
                -mb
                ========

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > This will not change the margins.

                  It does in my example file. So there must be something specific else
                  wrong your side. Is it just one browser? Is it overridden by another CSS
                  directive?
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                    On 10/31/2012 3:48 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >> I am not sure what you mean.
                    >
                    > If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
                    > it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
                    > as if your test files weren't.

                    Sorry, Axel. I hate to appear dense.
                    But I must be.
                    I don't get your meaning.

                    Thanks for your patience!
                    -Mike

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                      On 10/31/2012 3:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      >> This will not change the margins.
                      >
                      > It does in my example file.

                      What example file?

                      > So there must be something specific else
                      > wrong your side. Is it just one browser?

                      Both FF 16 and IE 8 display this behavior.

                      > Is it overridden by another CSS directive?

                      I do have this inline styling:
                      50px">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p>

                      <!-- ******** PHOTO LINKS START ********* -->
                      Breiding: 3 weeks in Michigan</strong></p>

                      But, that's is all.
                      -mb
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > I don't get your meaning.

                        Alright. You have a separate CSS-file on your site. That file has caused
                        issues, there were problems with comments, it didn't validate at first
                        and so on.

                        My sample file does not use any of that. The only CSS it sees is that
                        enclosed in

                        <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
                        --></STYLE>

                        So you can verify it works as intended in every browser you use. I say
                        it does. It seems the very same directives in your CSS-file do not work.
                        As they work of themselves (at least here), it must be that the browser
                        does not see or apply them for some reason. You must find out which
                        styling it sees in their place -- change something in those styles to
                        ridiculous values and watch where they turn up. If you found the culprit
                        you need to find out why it and not the intended one is applied. One
                        thing that often got me is the precedence of the more specific.

                        The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                        nothing to do with it.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                          > What example file?

                          The one I sent at 18:25 h my time, seems to be 13:25 h yours.
                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                            On 10/31/2012 4:50 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                            > The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                            > nothing to do with it.

                            I will start the process of elimination and see where it goes.
                            Thanks,
                            -Mike
                          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 7, 2012
                              RE:
                              > I cannot get this declaration to work:
                              > p.date
                              > {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}

                              That style was being overridden by the more specific:

                              div#content p {
                              margin: 8px auto;
                              width: 65%;
                              }

                              Using:
                              "div#content p.date{margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}"
                              Solved the problems with the margins not applying.
                              -Mike

                              ======