Re: [NH] Styling problem

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      On 31 Oct 12 16:10 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      <mike@...> said:

      > http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/betsy_journal/php-nav-index_style.css
      > CSS validator Does not validate and I cannot see why

      Come off it! Of course you can! It tells you why!

      "grey" is not a colour! "gray" is the value you need!
      See:
      http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#color-units

      Then, you have a comment brackets problem. which finally falls over at
      line 140. The problems start much earlier. Take a look line 5 of your
      file. (As it appears that you've commented out much more of your file
      than you planned, that might account for other issues you have.)

      Greg Chapman
      http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
      Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP
    • rhorbas@gmx.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012

        http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fmich-ont%2Fbetsy_journal%2Fphp-nav-index_style.css&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en#errors

        > Any ideas?

        There's an unopened comment here:
        {margin-top:10px; margin-bottom: 10px} */

        Rudi
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > The margins will not apply and the font styling is lost when I add a
          > link to the date.

          I can't reproduce your problem. Of course <a> will not look like its
          surrounding text unless you explicitly tell it so, which generally is
          NOT a good idea.

          "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
          <HTML>
          <HEAD>
          <TITLE>Test</TITLE>
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
          <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
          p.date strong, p.date strong a {font: 95% Georgia,'Times New
          Roman',Times,serif;
          color:#4F4A4A; font-weight: bold;}
          p.date em {font:95% Georgia,'Times New Roman',Times,serif;
          color:grey;margin-left: 10px}
          p.date {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
          --></STYLE>
          </HEAD>
          <BODY STYLE="max-width: 34em">

          <P>
          The paragraph before
          </P><p class="date"><strong>
          Strong
          title="Friday, June 11">Friday, June 11</a>
          Strong
          </strong><EM>
          Emphasized
          </EM></p><P>
          The paragraph after
          </P>

          </BODY>
          </HTML>
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
            On 10/31/2012 12:58 PM, Greg Chapman wrote:
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > On 31 Oct 12 16:10 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            > <mike@...> said:
            >

            >> http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/betsy_journal/php-nav-index_style.css
            >> CSS validator Does not validate and I cannot see why
            >
            > Come off it! Of course you can! It tells you why!
            >
            > "grey" is not a colour! "gray" is the value you need!

            Me and my typos... I changed it to #4F4A4A

            > See:
            > http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/REC-CSS2-20110607/syndata.html#color-units
            >
            > Then, you have a comment brackets problem. which finally falls over at
            > line 140. The problems start much earlier. Take a look line 5 of your
            > file. (As it appears that you've commented out much more of your file
            > than you planned, that might account for other issues you have.)

            Do you mean this?
            /*/*/ .clear{display:block; } /* */

            That was hack written by someone else for a reason unknown to me.
            I has been there for years.
            I removed that line and the errant ending comment and uploaded the files.

            The CSS validates now.
            But, the original problems remain.

            http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fmich-ont%2Fbetsy_journal%2Fphp-nav-index_style.css&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en

            Thanks!
            -Mike

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
              On 10/31/2012 1:05 PM, rhorbas@... wrote:
              >> CSS validator Does not validate and I cannot see why
              >>

              > http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2010%2Fmich-ont%2Fbetsy_journal%2Fphp-nav-index_style.css&profile=css3&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en#errors
              >>
              >> Any ideas?
              >
              > There's an unopened comment here:
              > {margin-top:10px; margin-bottom: 10px} */
              > Rudi

              Got it!
              Thanks.
              -mb

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > I it has no effect.

                Does here:

                p.date strong, p.date a {...}

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > Do you mean this?
                  > /*/*/ .clear{display:block; } /* */
                  >
                  > That was hack written by someone else for a reason unknown to me.
                  > I has been there for years.

                  Leave it in. I just tried it out, my CSS still validates as CSS 3.
                  It is a hack specifically aimed at one browser that erraneaously does
                  not read it, taking it to be a comment, and may well fulfil a job in
                  your layouts.

                  I've forgotten all the details of those old-time hacks by now and can't
                  say which browser that setting is hidden from. But all others do see it,
                  and deleting it may well have consequences.

                  Axel
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                    On 10/31/2012 1:29 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >> I it has no effect.
                    >
                    > Does here:>
                    > p.date strong, p.date a {...}

                    I changed it to:
                    p.date strong, p.date a {font: 95% Georgia,'Times New
                    Roman',Times,serif; color:#4F4A4A; font-weight: bold;}

                    In FF 16 and IE 8 there is not bold applied to the link.

                    I cleared the cache and restarted both.
                    ????
                    You are getting bold?
                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                      On 10/31/2012 1:41 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      >> Do you mean this?
                      >> /*/*/ .clear{display:block; } /* */
                      >>
                      >> That was hack written by someone else for a reason unknown to me.
                      >> I has been there for years.
                      >
                      > Leave it in. I just tried it out, my CSS still validates as CSS 3.

                      I put it back in.
                      Validates for me as well.
                      -mb

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        > You are getting bold?

                        Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
                        minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
                        self-contained?

                        Axel
                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                          On 10/31/2012 2:36 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                          >> You are getting bold?
                          >
                          > Yes, just tried taking it out and putting in again. You noted that my
                          > minmal example does not load any external style and thus is fully
                          > self-contained? Axel

                          Axel,
                          I am not sure what you mean.
                          -mb
                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                            Solved:
                            I changed this:
                            href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/mich-ont/d1/' target="_blank"

                            To this:
                            target="_blank" title="Friday, June 11"><strong>Friday, June

                            I think I have been here before with Axel.
                            But, previously the problem was IE not displaying the title for the link
                            unless the URL and text were both wrapped with the formatting tag.

                            It happens here also.
                            FF displays the title, IE does not.

                            My thanks to all!
                            -Mike
                            ----------------

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                              > I am not sure what you mean.

                              If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
                              it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
                              as if your test files weren't.

                              Axel
                            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                I went off half cocked here.
                                The <strong> is resolved, but the margin problem is not.
                                That is:
                                p.date
                                {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 10px}
                                This will not change the margins.
                                -mb
                                ========

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                  > This will not change the margins.

                                  It does in my example file. So there must be something specific else
                                  wrong your side. Is it just one browser? Is it overridden by another CSS
                                  directive?
                                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                    On 10/31/2012 3:48 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                    >> I am not sure what you mean.
                                    >
                                    > If you view that file in a browser, either locally or after uploading,
                                    > it will be unaffected by any CSS file you may have. Your symptoms sound
                                    > as if your test files weren't.

                                    Sorry, Axel. I hate to appear dense.
                                    But I must be.
                                    I don't get your meaning.

                                    Thanks for your patience!
                                    -Mike

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                      On 10/31/2012 3:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                      >> This will not change the margins.
                                      >
                                      > It does in my example file.

                                      What example file?

                                      > So there must be something specific else
                                      > wrong your side. Is it just one browser?

                                      Both FF 16 and IE 8 display this behavior.

                                      > Is it overridden by another CSS directive?

                                      I do have this inline styling:
                                      50px">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p>

                                      <!-- ******** PHOTO LINKS START ********* -->
                                      Breiding: 3 weeks in Michigan</strong></p>

                                      But, that's is all.
                                      -mb
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                        > I don't get your meaning.

                                        Alright. You have a separate CSS-file on your site. That file has caused
                                        issues, there were problems with comments, it didn't validate at first
                                        and so on.

                                        My sample file does not use any of that. The only CSS it sees is that
                                        enclosed in

                                        <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
                                        --></STYLE>

                                        So you can verify it works as intended in every browser you use. I say
                                        it does. It seems the very same directives in your CSS-file do not work.
                                        As they work of themselves (at least here), it must be that the browser
                                        does not see or apply them for some reason. You must find out which
                                        styling it sees in their place -- change something in those styles to
                                        ridiculous values and watch where they turn up. If you found the culprit
                                        you need to find out why it and not the intended one is applied. One
                                        thing that often got me is the precedence of the more specific.

                                        The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                                        nothing to do with it.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 31, 2012
                                          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                          > What example file?

                                          The one I sent at 18:25 h my time, seems to be 13:25 h yours.
                                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 1, 2012
                                            On 10/31/2012 4:50 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                            > The main rule here is to isolate the problem from everything that's got
                                            > nothing to do with it.

                                            I will start the process of elimination and see where it goes.
                                            Thanks,
                                            -Mike
                                          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 7, 2012
                                              RE:
                                              > I cannot get this declaration to work:
                                              > p.date
                                              > {margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}

                                              That style was being overridden by the more specific:

                                              div#content p {
                                              margin: 8px auto;
                                              width: 65%;
                                              }

                                              Using:
                                              "div#content p.date{margin-bottom:-10px; margin-top: 40px}"
                                              Solved the problems with the margins not applying.
                                              -Mike

                                              ======