Re: [NH] Notetab refuses to perform edits on this .html file

  • stitch.happy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012
      Thanks, John and Marcelo, for your suggestions. It turned out to be a Unicode character, a checkmark, that was the problem. I appreciate the help!

      I used NotePad to open the file and did a Save-As and selected ANSI format. Got a warning that said I was about to lose Unicode formatted characters. Saved as a new file and did a file compare (CompareIt!) between the two files.

      Regards,
      Bev

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...> wrote:

      > I didn't check, but most time when I couldn't edit a file, it turned out
      > to be a Unicode file. Notetab has limited Unicode support.
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 10/10/2012 07:01, Axel Berger told the world:
        > Marcelo Bastos wrote:
        >> The problem: if there were Unicode characters there, you lost them.
        > Which is why that's not the way to do it. Hope the following is correct
        > (i.e. works first time), I really hate this "feature". You can
        > a) Open the file as codepage (UTF-8 (no conversion)" and possibly also
        > switch off document --> Read only.
        That's a very nice piece of clip programming, and yes, it DID work first
        time. (Well, after I fixed a couple statements that had been
        line-wrapped by the mail systems, that is.) Thank you, it will prove
        most useful in the coming weeks.
        I had a quick look at the logic, and it seems to be generic enough to
        tackle the entire Basic Multilingual Plane. Which is good, since I have
        deal with a couple text sources who just *love* to use obscure
        characters from languages you never heard about for aesthetic effect.

        I'm already thinking about four or five ways I can integrate it into my
        workflow. It will probably end up as the main subroutine of a larger
        clip. I'm thinking of starting with an auto-reload of the file as "UTF-8
        (no conversion)," then a preprocessing search-and-replace to get rid of
        the most common cases, like "smart quotes" (not strictly needed, but it
        should speed up the process quite a bit), and a post-processing
        "cleanup" phase using a couple clips I already have in hand.

        --

        MCBastos This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm.
        Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Total Lack of Social Skills.
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012
          Marcelo Bastos wrote:
          > I had a quick look at the logic, and it seems to be generic enough to
          > tackle the entire Basic Multilingual Plane.

          Even more than that, it will also translate illegal UTF into equally
          illegal entities. I have another clip that checks a document for legal
          UTF and flags errors such as ANSI characters.

          :loop
          ^!Find "([\x80-\xBF]|[\xC0-\xFF][\x80-\xBF]*)" RS
          ^!IfError usasc
          ^!IfMatch "[\xC2-\xDF][\x80-\xBF]" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "\xE0[\xA0-\xBF][\x80-\xBF]" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "[\xE1-\xEC\xEE\xEF][\x80-\xBF]{2}" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "\xED[\x80-\x9F][\x80-\xBF]" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "\xF0[\x90-\xBF][\x80-\xBF]{2}" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "[\xF1-\xF3][\x80-\xBF]{3}" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!IfMatch "\xF4[\x80-\x8F][\x80-\xBF]{2}" "^$GetSelection$" loop
          ^!Continue Illegal sequence, no UTF-8
          ^!Goto loop
          :usasc
          ^!Continue No errors found