Where is the old HTML library with font color?

  • opticsmith
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
      NoteTab Light, Windows 7.
      I am not an HTML expert but I sometimes edit (i.e., annotate) pages I've downloaded. There used to be an HTML clipbook (apparently replaced by HTML-CSS) which, as I recall, had a font color clip in it which was quite useful. I can't find it. Is this no longer approved HTML practice, or something?
    • Michael Rawley
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
        Hi,
        I don't know if it would help, but I've got some pages that might help. See
        'www.normist.co.uk/course/000.htm'. That's three zeros dot htm. It's a bit
        out of date, but I've got most of an updated version with HTML5 and CSS.
        It's about 2 and 1/2 Megabytes. A bit much for an email, but if you think
        that you might be able to make use of it, I could send on CD.
        Regards,
        Michael Rawley
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
          opticsmith wrote:
          > Is this no longer approved HTML practice, or something?

          Probably.

          1) NoteTab claims not to delete the old clipbooks when installing the
          new version over an old one, so your old book ought still to be there.

          2) I don't know what exactly you used and what it does, but the <font>
          tag has long been deprecated and for very good reason. Also many
          attributes are now being frowned at and should be replaced by CSS.

          For you this would actually help. You only need to make one CSS-file and
          do less editing in all those HTML. But you can also stick to the old
          clips and to what you're used to if more comfortable with that.

          Axel
        • opticsmith
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
            Dear Axel,
            It's probably clear from my post, but just in case: I am so unskilled in HTML that I had heard of CSS but hadn't much of an idea what it is, why it's useful, or how to use it -- but your post prodded me to at least go look it up on Wikipedia.
            My HTML editing typically consists of taking a page I've downloaded (for example, "download citation list" from the IEEE website produces a very simple HTML page with no CSS usage) and then adding some annotations for my own use. A typical thing is to add a line of text along the lines of (H3)(FONT COLOR="#FF0000")Get this from the librarian!(/FONT)(/H3). (I've here substituted parentheses for angle brackets to avoid possibly confusing the forum software.) So, for private use only, antique usage seems acceptable to me.
            In any case, thank you for your post. And, FWIW, I did do a partial re-installation of NTL v6 and copied the library over into my v7 folder. I don't know whether the v7 installer in fact deleted the v6 libraries; I've been migrating to a new machine and did some cleaning up which might have caused that library to disappear, but I've got it back now.
            Yours,
            Irl