Re: [NH] valid html5

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
      Adrien Verlee wrote:
      > > <!--[if gt IE 8]><html class="no-js" lang="en"><![endif]-->
      >
      >This is better.
      >Did not dare to touch it because I was uncertain ... and still do not.
      >Because it's weird, right? They provide a template and with the first
      >lines they go wrong?

      It was HTML5Boilerplate that created that? Sorry, don't know anything
      about the site, first time I've heard of it. But if they did this I'd
      be wary, sure.

      I'm not that read up about HTML5 yet, but as Marcelo I don't think
      you would need to change much, if anything, if you had valid (X)HTML
      Strict before. If it is Transitional, more work, but I don't see how
      converting Transitional to Strict could be done automatically in a
      usable way. If you have Strict now, have you tried just slopping the
      HTML5 doctype on and see what the validator thinks?

      Lotta
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
        There are tags that have been deprecated, and others that have been added. A key difference is that there are different
        rules for authors (web page designers) and user agents (browsers). So, while your code may not validate, it will still
        work in browsers, which are mandated to support the transition. I converted my web pages (most of them) by making sure I
        wasn't using any old-style tags and made whole new headers for my pages. You can create a template after you have one
        page working that you can copy to the others. You will find that your div/class/id tags may be different � html5 stesses
        id, while previously it was not used as much. You can read about the differences here
        <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-diff-20120329/> :

        I converted because I wanted to get it out of my way before I built any more of my web pages, and so I would be able to
        take advantage of some of the newer technology, such as no longer needing Flash to display movies. I knew I would
        eventually have to do it, so I got it out of the earlier, rather than later.

        For anyone wanting some good boilerplate for mobile responsive html5, I recommend Skeleton: (Try resizing those pages!)
        http://www.getskeleton.com/
        If you 'View Source' on that page, you will see the multiple-browser version support implementation. That is a key to
        supporting older browsers that don't support all features directly. I didn't start with Skeleton, but I'm thinking I
        might convert again, just so that all my pages are mobile friendly without having to have multiple versions of web
        pages.

        I looked at html5 boilerplate at length, and finally found it to be too complex for my needs. However, it is full of
        tricks to do things, so it is useful as a code reference at times.

        Regards,
        John

        > > <!--[if gt IE 8]><html class="no-js" lang="en"><![endif]-->
        >
        >This is better.
        >Did not dare to touch it because I was uncertain ... and still do not.
        >Because it's weird, right? They provide a template and with the first
        >lines they go wrong?

        It was HTML5Boilerplate that created that? Sorry, don't know anything
        about the site, first time I've heard of it. But if they did this I'd
        be wary, sure.

        I'm not that read up about HTML5 yet, but as Marcelo I don't think
        you would need to change much, if anything, if you had valid (X)HTML
        Strict before. If it is Transitional, more work, but I don't see how
        converting Transitional to Strict could be done automatically in a
        usable way. If you have Strict now, have you tried just slopping the
        HTML5 doctype on and see what the validator thinks?

      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
          John,

          Op 19/08/2012 15:10, John Shotsky schreef:
          > I converted because I wanted to get it out of my way before I built any more of my web pages, and so I would be able to
          > take advantage of some of the newer technology, such as no longer needing Flash to display movies. I knew I would
          > eventually have to do it, so I got it out of the earlier, rather than later.

          More or less, this is my goal too.
          I think EPUB en mobiles would become important, so a move towards that
          isn't bad.

          Once I have a good warning and error free page, I can go further. In
          making templates and ect.

          > For anyone wanting some good boilerplate for mobile responsive html5, I recommend Skeleton: (Try resizing those pages!)
          > http://www.getskeleton.com/

          Seems good. Thank you.

          > If you 'View Source' on that page, you will see the multiple-browser version support implementation. That is a key to
          > supporting older browsers that don't support all features directly.

          It is a detail, but they have not 'printmedia'. Html5boilerplate has
          also that fallback for older browsers, but maybe indeed a bit complicated.

          But, meanwhile I have found error/warning free html5-template:
          http://www.intensivstation.ch/html5/html5-templates/ (with mini-css)

          Also (via above site): http://bearcss.com/
          Did not tested it now (It is a hot day today!) but if it works, I can
          make a page with al the standard codes that I'm using, to produce css3
          stylesheet (I hope).

          --
          Adrien