Re: [NH] valid html5

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2012
      Op 18/08/2012 16:15, Marcelo Bastos schreef:
      >> Someone who already succeeded to make valid HTML5 code?
      >> >I mean really valid code. No warnings, no errors.
      >> >Thanks,
      >> >
      > Most valid HML 4.01 should be valid HTML5 too, with a few exceptions.
      > What's the specific problem that's giving you a hard time?

      Using HTML5Boilerplate
      http://html5boilerplate.com/
      to make a first slow move from xhtml to html5 I have already this:

      (from w3c-validation)
      Line 8, Column 53: Stray end tag html.
      <!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en"> <!--<![endif]-->

      Without doing anything. Further I have errors and warnings for example a
      table.
      Nevertheless, the test-page looks mostly neat.

      That all going to find out, will be time consuming and keep me away from
      my work, which will make me even more nervous and unwilling to spent
      time on it.
      For me, html is a means, not the end, you see.
      --
      Adrien
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18, 2012
        Hi Adrien!

        >to make a first slow move from xhtml to html5 I have already this:
        >
        >(from w3c-validation)
        >Line 8, Column 53: Stray end tag html.
        ><!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en"> <!--<![endif]-->

        That wouldn't validate as HTML either. Some conditional comments
        simply don't validate, but this one should. You have some extra fluff
        in there, <!--> and <!-- . It should be like this.

        <!--[if gt IE 8]><html class="no-js" lang="en"><![endif]-->

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537512(v=vs.85).aspx
        http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2012
          Sorry, I missed there was more.

          Adrien Verlee wrote:
          >Further I have errors and warnings for example a
          >table.

          Let's see then. Maybe we can help.

          >For me, html is a means, not the end, you see.

          Makes me curious why you bother with converting your site to HTML5.
          Do you need any of the HTML5 features (regarding forms and such)?

          Lotta
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 18, 2012
            Hey Lotta,

            Op 18/08/2012 23:47, loro schreef:
            > Let's see then. Maybe we can help.

            Low air pressure in Sweden, I see, bad weather.

            Must go to bed now. I write later.
            --
            Adrien
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
              Lotta,

              For now, to stay with this item ...

              Op 18/08/2012 19:28, loro schreef:
              >> <!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en"> <!--<![endif]-->
              >
              > That wouldn't validate as HTML either. Some conditional comments
              > simply don't validate, but this one should. You have some extra fluff
              > in there, <!--> and <!-- . It should be like this.
              >
              > <!--[if gt IE 8]><html class="no-js" lang="en"><![endif]-->

              This is better.
              Did not dare to touch it because I was uncertain ... and still do not.
              Because it's weird, right? They provide a template and with the first
              lines they go wrong?
              --
              Adrien
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
                Adrien Verlee wrote:
                > > <!--[if gt IE 8]><html class="no-js" lang="en"><![endif]-->
                >
                >This is better.
                >Did not dare to touch it because I was uncertain ... and still do not.
                >Because it's weird, right? They provide a template and with the first
                >lines they go wrong?

                It was HTML5Boilerplate that created that? Sorry, don't know anything
                about the site, first time I've heard of it. But if they did this I'd
                be wary, sure.

                I'm not that read up about HTML5 yet, but as Marcelo I don't think
                you would need to change much, if anything, if you had valid (X)HTML
                Strict before. If it is Transitional, more work, but I don't see how
                converting Transitional to Strict could be done automatically in a
                usable way. If you have Strict now, have you tried just slopping the
                HTML5 doctype on and see what the validator thinks?

                Lotta
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
                  There are tags that have been deprecated, and others that have been added. A key difference is that there are different
                  rules for authors (web page designers) and user agents (browsers). So, while your code may not validate, it will still
                  work in browsers, which are mandated to support the transition. I converted my web pages (most of them) by making sure I
                  wasn't using any old-style tags and made whole new headers for my pages. You can create a template after you have one
                  page working that you can copy to the others. You will find that your div/class/id tags may be different � html5 stesses
                  id, while previously it was not used as much. You can read about the differences here
                  <http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-html5-diff-20120329/> :

                  I converted because I wanted to get it out of my way before I built any more of my web pages, and so I would be able to
                  take advantage of some of the newer technology, such as no longer needing Flash to display movies. I knew I would
                  eventually have to do it, so I got it out of the earlier, rather than later.

                  For anyone wanting some good boilerplate for mobile responsive html5, I recommend Skeleton: (Try resizing those pages!)
                  http://www.getskeleton.com/
                  If you 'View Source' on that page, you will see the multiple-browser version support implementation. That is a key to
                  supporting older browsers that don't support all features directly. I didn't start with Skeleton, but I'm thinking I
                  might convert again, just so that all my pages are mobile friendly without having to have multiple versions of web
                  pages.

                  I looked at html5 boilerplate at length, and finally found it to be too complex for my needs. However, it is full of
                  tricks to do things, so it is useful as a code reference at times.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 19, 2012
                    John,

                    Op 19/08/2012 15:10, John Shotsky schreef:
                    > I converted because I wanted to get it out of my way before I built any more of my web pages, and so I would be able to
                    > take advantage of some of the newer technology, such as no longer needing Flash to display movies. I knew I would
                    > eventually have to do it, so I got it out of the earlier, rather than later.

                    More or less, this is my goal too.
                    I think EPUB en mobiles would become important, so a move towards that
                    isn't bad.

                    Once I have a good warning and error free page, I can go further. In
                    making templates and ect.

                    > For anyone wanting some good boilerplate for mobile responsive html5, I recommend Skeleton: (Try resizing those pages!)
                    > http://www.getskeleton.com/

                    Seems good. Thank you.

                    > If you 'View Source' on that page, you will see the multiple-browser version support implementation. That is a key to
                    > supporting older browsers that don't support all features directly.

                    It is a detail, but they have not 'printmedia'. Html5boilerplate has
                    also that fallback for older browsers, but maybe indeed a bit complicated.

                    But, meanwhile I have found error/warning free html5-template:
                    http://www.intensivstation.ch/html5/html5-templates/ (with mini-css)

                    Also (via above site): http://bearcss.com/
                    Did not tested it now (It is a hot day today!) but if it works, I can
                    make a page with al the standard codes that I'm using, to produce css3
                    stylesheet (I hope).

                    --
                    Adrien