HTML Tidy and HTML5

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
      Tidy is a great tool and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, the official
      version is still stuck in HTML 4/XHTML, so attempting to use HTML5
      elements causes a lot of noise in the error log.

      But of course, being free software, somebody is taking care of this
      problem. An experimental fork of Tidy is being developed here:

      http://w3c.github.com/tidy-html5/

      A Windows build (dated from April, so not the latest cutting-edge thing,
      but probably acceptable) can be found here:

      http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

      It's supposedly not production quality software, but it might be useful
      anyway.

      --
      MCBastos

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my rotary-dial phone.
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
        Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:

        > http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/

        That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
        Security Essentials

        --
        Adrien
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 05/08/2012 15:51, Adrien Verlee told the world:
          > Op 5/08/2012 20:35, Marcelo Bastos schreef:
          >
          >> http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/
          >>
          > That webpage seems to be a security risk, it is blocked by Microsoft
          > Security Essentials

          You're right, I checked and Google Safe Browsing gives a warning too,
          but the full diagnostic page is a bit ambivalent about it:

          <http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/&hl=en>

          I didn't notice any problems, but then, I have NoScript blocking most
          scripts... Avast didn't complain either. I think they got hacked at some
          point in the past and some script was trying to install malware. Perhaps
          it's fixed now and the site just wasn't cleared from the blacklists
          yet. It's probably a bad idea to visit it with vanilla Internet
          Explorer, particularly older version, anyway.

          But the Tidy binary itself seems to be OK; I uploaded it to Virustotal
          and it got a totally clean bill of health -- 0 alerts from 40 antivirus
          products.

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-