NoteTab 7 hyperlink bug

  • cwcooknc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
      I just upgraded to NoteTab 7 today and overall it's great, but I'm having a problem with the hyperlink dialogue, which is missing an option I use for almost every link.

      Clicking the hyperlink button or Hyperlink in the HTML-CSS clipbook:

      version 6.2/fv
      Enter values for tag attributes
      Link URL:
      Target (transitional):
      Link description:

      version 7.0/fv
      Enter values to build A tag
      Link URL:
      Link description:

      What happened to Target (transitional)? I use this all the time on the pages I edit most frequently to insert target="_blank" or target="_top". Is this a bug or a feature?

      Thanks,
      Will
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
        cwcooknc wrote:
        > Is this a bug or a feature?

        I'd call it a feature, but this is just what is so good about NT clips:
        If you want something to work differently, just change it. The stuff
        coming with the program are just samples, until you adpt stuff to your
        own needs you miss most of what's on offer.

        Axel
      • cwcooknc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2012
          Thanks! I've been using the program for years, but hadn't explored the ability to edit the clipbook. I was able to add the TARGET= field back easily. Cool feature!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17, 2012
            cwcooknc wrote:
            > Cool feature!

            Two additional hints:

            1) Save that Clipbook under another name, e.g. by prepending "my" or
            something like that. When updating NoteTab the standard libraries get
            overwritten by new versions, so protect your own.

            2) Subscribe to the "Clips" list too. We have one or five real artists
            there who'll solve your most convoluted problems and lots of plodders
            like me, who'll help with more mundane stuff.

            Axel
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28, 2012
              Hi Will,

              Sorry my reply comes a bit late.

              I had indeed removed all transitional attributes so they would adhere to
              the latest standards in HTML coding. But I do agree that the Target
              attribute is useful and has no reasonable non-transitional alternative.
              So I'm putting it back in the next update.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

              On 16/07/2012 21:56, cwcooknc wrote:
              > I just upgraded to NoteTab 7 today and overall it's great, but I'm having a problem with the hyperlink dialogue, which is missing an option I use for almost every link.
              >
              > Clicking the hyperlink button or Hyperlink in the HTML-CSS clipbook:
              >
              > version 6.2/fv
              > Enter values for tag attributes
              > Link URL:
              > Target (transitional):
              > Link description:
              >
              > version 7.0/fv
              > Enter values to build A tag
              > Link URL:
              > Link description:
              >
              > What happened to Target (transitional)? I use this all the time on the pages I edit most frequently to insert target="_blank" or target="_top". Is this a bug or a feature?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Will
            • Marcelo Bastos
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28, 2012
                Interviewed by CNN on 28/07/2012 04:51, Eric Fookes told the world:
                > Hi Will,
                >
                > Sorry my reply comes a bit late.
                >
                > I had indeed removed all transitional attributes so they would adhere to
                > the latest standards in HTML coding. But I do agree that the Target
                > attribute is useful and has no reasonable non-transitional alternative.
                > So I'm putting it back in the next update.

                Actually, in HTML5 the "target" attribute is back. I'm quoting from
                <http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/>:

                The |target
                <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/links.html#attr-hyperlink-target>|
                attribute of the |a
                <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/text-level-semantics.html#the-a-element>|
                and |area
                <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-map-element.html#the-area-element>|
                elements is no longer deprecated, as it is useful in Web applications,
                e.g. in conjunction with |iframe
                <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-iframe-element.html#the-iframe-element>|.

                --
                MCBastos