Re: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

      Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
      with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
      actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

      I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
      LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
      though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
      unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
      like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
      me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
      search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      > another editor?

      See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
      all.

      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      > offer?

      See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
        Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

        html

        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

        Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
        - multi-tabbing - clips

        And ... the supportgroups !!

        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

        See 2

        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
        > another editor?

        Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
        Search on disk?

        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
        > offer?

        - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
        With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
        etc.])

        - unicode

        - improved table function, for an idea see:
        http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

        - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

        Comfort in work, see 1.

        --
        Adrien
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
          > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
          > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

          * Gathering data with pasteboard
          * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

          > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

          * Quick
          * Pasteboard
          * Clips
          * calculator

          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

          * pasteboard
          * regex search/replace
          * sort lines to remove duplicates
          * calculator

          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?

          * pasteboard

          > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          > offer?

          * php/css syntax highlighting

          > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

          * quick data gathering & processing

          Rudi
        • Don
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
            I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
            when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

            I too use disk search often.

            Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
            as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
              I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
              the following caveats:
              It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
              sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
              extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
              always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
              block copy is really worthless.

              I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
              program I hate to even say what I don't like.

              On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
              > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
              >> offer?
            • Ray McDowell
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                offer? multi-level outlining.

                6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                ________________________________
                I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                this email?

                Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                program enhancements.

                1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                another editor?

                5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                offer?

                6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

              • Bob Gorman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                  On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                  > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                  > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                  Thanks for this pointer!

                  Bob

                  --
                  'I am only one;but I am still one.
                  I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                • Ian C. Purdie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                    Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                    why not?

                    I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                    I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                    paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                    recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                    In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                    Archaic? Yes.

                    Redundant? Maybe.

                    Should I upgrade?

                    NO

                    Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                    What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                    1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                    2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                    3. "HTML - Image"

                    4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                    and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                    My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                    congratulate Eric.

                    I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                    for the [then] Pro version.

                    Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                    Thanks! :)

                    Ian C. Purdie
                    Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                    http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                  • Ian C. Purdie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                      [POST]

[...]

                      [/POST]
                    • Eric Fookes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                        Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                        received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                        email address.

                        Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                        suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                        wish list.

                        We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                        NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                        Eric Fookes
                        http://www.fookes.com/