RE: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Larry Elliott
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      From: ntb-html@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-html@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Eric Fookes
      Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:33 AM
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com; ntb-html@yahoogroups.com;
      ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      Dear Notetabber,

      I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      this email?

      Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      program enhancements.

      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
      HTM, PHP & CSS editing
      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
      Good text processor, good tools to edit HTML Tags and CSS statements
      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
      The clip books and Tidy
      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      another editor?
      Probably the clip books
      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      offer?
      Don't use competing editors - settled on this one several years ago and
      don't plan to change anytime soon. Sorry, I know this is not much help, but
      it is factual.
      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
      Compact, standard compliant web pages. I use NoteTab principally as an
      editor for web page development. Works well in writing PHP code, CSS and
      HTML tags. The clip books help me remember all the things this old brain
      gets foggy about so NoteTab and I get along really well.
      Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
      <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
        On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
        > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

        Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
        with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
        actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

        I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
        LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
        though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

        That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
        unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
        like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
        me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

        Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
        search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
        > another editor?

        See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
        all.

        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
        > offer?

        See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

        It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
          Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

          > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

          html

          > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

          Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
          - multi-tabbing - clips

          And ... the supportgroups !!

          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

          See 2

          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?

          Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
          Search on disk?

          > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          > offer?

          - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
          With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
          etc.])

          - unicode

          - improved table function, for an idea see:
          http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

          - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

          > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

          Comfort in work, see 1.

          --
          Adrien
        • Rudolf Horbas
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
            > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
            > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

            * Gathering data with pasteboard
            * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

            > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

            * Quick
            * Pasteboard
            * Clips
            * calculator

            > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

            * pasteboard
            * regex search/replace
            * sort lines to remove duplicates
            * calculator

            > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
            > another editor?

            * pasteboard

            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
            > offer?

            * php/css syntax highlighting

            > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

            * quick data gathering & processing

            Rudi
          • Don
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
              I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
              when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

              I too use disk search often.

              Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
              as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
                the following caveats:
                It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
                sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
                extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
                always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
                block copy is really worthless.

                I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
                program I hate to even say what I don't like.

                On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
                > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                >> offer?
              • Ray McDowell
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                  1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                  I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                  2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                  3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                  4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                  5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  offer? multi-level outlining.

                  6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                  ________________________________
                  I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                  this email?

                  Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                  for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                  program enhancements.

                  1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                  (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                  2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                  3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                  4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  another editor?

                  5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  offer?

                  6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                  Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                  send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                • Bob Gorman
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                    On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                    > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                    > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                    Thanks for this pointer!

                    Bob

                    --
                    'I am only one;but I am still one.
                    I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                  • Ian C. Purdie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                      why not?

                      I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                      I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                      paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                      recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                      In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                      Archaic? Yes.

                      Redundant? Maybe.

                      Should I upgrade?

                      NO

                      Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                      What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                      1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                      2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                      3. "HTML - Image"

                      4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                      and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                      My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                      congratulate Eric.

                      I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                      for the [then] Pro version.

                      Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                      Thanks! :)

                      Ian C. Purdie
                      Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                      http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                    • Ian C. Purdie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                        Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                        [POST]

[...]

                        [/POST]
                      • Eric Fookes
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                          Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                          received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                          email address.

                          Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                          suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                          wish list.

                          We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                          NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                          Eric Fookes
                          http://www.fookes.com/