Re: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Jeffery Scism
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      What is the limit on Highlighted text that can be copied to the Replace
      dialog?

      If I highlight a large section it doesn't go. I have manually copy it
      first then paste it in. THEN if I have another thing to replace with I
      have to use a token because I can not copy to the clipboard with
      Directory search open.
    • Larry Elliott
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
          On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

          > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
          > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

          Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
          with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
          actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

          I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
          LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
          though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

          > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

          That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
          unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
          like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
          me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

          Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
          search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?

          See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
          all.

          > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          > offer?

          See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

          > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

          It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
            Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

            > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

            html

            > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

            Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
            - multi-tabbing - clips

            And ... the supportgroups !!

            > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

            See 2

            > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
            > another editor?

            Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
            Search on disk?

            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
            > offer?

            - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
            With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
            etc.])

            - unicode

            - improved table function, for an idea see:
            http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

            - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

            > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

            Comfort in work, see 1.

            --
            Adrien
          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
              > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
              > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

              * Gathering data with pasteboard
              * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

              > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

              * Quick
              * Pasteboard
              * Clips
              * calculator

              > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

              * pasteboard
              * regex search/replace
              * sort lines to remove duplicates
              * calculator

              > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
              > another editor?

              * pasteboard

              > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
              > offer?

              * php/css syntax highlighting

              > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

              * quick data gathering & processing

              Rudi
            • Don
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                I too use disk search often.

                Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                  I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
                  the following caveats:
                  It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
                  sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
                  extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
                  always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
                  block copy is really worthless.

                  I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
                  program I hate to even say what I don't like.

                  On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  >> offer?
                • Ray McDowell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                    1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                    I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                    2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                    3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                    4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                    another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                    5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    offer? multi-level outlining.

                    6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                    ________________________________
                    I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                    this email?

                    Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                    for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                    program enhancements.

                    1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                    (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                    2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                    3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                    4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                    another editor?

                    5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    offer?

                    6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                    Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                    send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/

                  • Bob Gorman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                      > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                      > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                      Thanks for this pointer!

                      Bob

                      --
                      'I am only one;but I am still one.
                      I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                    • Ian C. Purdie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                        Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                        why not?

                        I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                        I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                        paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                        recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                        In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                        Archaic? Yes.

                        Redundant? Maybe.

                        Should I upgrade?

                        NO

                        Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                        What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                        1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                        2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                        3. "HTML - Image"

                        4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                        and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                        My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                        congratulate Eric.

                        I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                        for the [then] Pro version.

                        Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                        Thanks! :)

                        Ian C. Purdie
                        Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                        http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                      • Ian C. Purdie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                          Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                          [POST]

[...]

                          [/POST]
                        • Eric Fookes
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                            Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                            received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                            email address.

                            Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                            suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                            wish list.

                            We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                            NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                            Eric Fookes
                            http://www.fookes.com/