Re: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      I'll agree with Dido on this one. Pasteboard is cool. I use it often
      as well. I also use it as my calculator since it's already open.

      One other annoyance as we gather those (in addition to the resetting of
      search settings after a clip) is the inability to "expand" the search
      box so that I can see my entire search string.

      On the other hand I love being able to click anywhere blank in the
      search dialog box and going to the top of the document.

      On 6/16/2012 3:26 PM, Dido wrote:
      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
      >
      > :Pasteboard
      > "The pasteboard is one of the most powerful (and unusual) features,"
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab
      >
      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      > another editor?
      > Pasteboard
    • Jeffery Scism
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
        What is the limit on Highlighted text that can be copied to the Replace
        dialog?

        If I highlight a large section it doesn't go. I have manually copy it
        first then paste it in. THEN if I have another thing to replace with I
        have to use a token because I can not copy to the clipboard with
        Directory search open.
      • Larry Elliott
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
            On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

            > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
            > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

            Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
            with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
            actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

            I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
            LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
            though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

            > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

            That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
            unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
            like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
            me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

            > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

            Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
            search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

            > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
            > another editor?

            See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
            all.

            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
            > offer?

            See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

            > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

            It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
              Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

              > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

              html

              > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

              Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
              - multi-tabbing - clips

              And ... the supportgroups !!

              > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

              See 2

              > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
              > another editor?

              Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
              Search on disk?

              > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
              > offer?

              - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
              With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
              etc.])

              - unicode

              - improved table function, for an idea see:
              http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

              - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

              > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

              Comfort in work, see 1.

              --
              Adrien
            • Rudolf Horbas
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                * Gathering data with pasteboard
                * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

                > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                * Quick
                * Pasteboard
                * Clips
                * calculator

                > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                * pasteboard
                * regex search/replace
                * sort lines to remove duplicates
                * calculator

                > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                > another editor?

                * pasteboard

                > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                > offer?

                * php/css syntax highlighting

                > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                * quick data gathering & processing

                Rudi
              • Don
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                  I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                  when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                  I too use disk search often.

                  Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                  as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                    I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
                    the following caveats:
                    It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
                    sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
                    extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
                    always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
                    block copy is really worthless.

                    I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
                    program I hate to even say what I don't like.

                    On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
                    > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    >> offer?
                  • Ray McDowell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                      I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                      another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                      offer? multi-level outlining.

                      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                      ________________________________
                      I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                      this email?

                      Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                      for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                      program enhancements.

                      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                      (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                      another editor?

                      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                      offer?

                      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                      Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                      send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

                      Eric Fookes
                      http://www.fookes.com/

                    • Bob Gorman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                        On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                        > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                        > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                        Thanks for this pointer!

                        Bob

                        --
                        'I am only one;but I am still one.
                        I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                      • Ian C. Purdie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                          Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                          why not?

                          I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                          I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                          paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                          recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                          In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                          Archaic? Yes.

                          Redundant? Maybe.

                          Should I upgrade?

                          NO

                          Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                          What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                          1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                          2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                          3. "HTML - Image"

                          4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                          and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                          My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                          congratulate Eric.

                          I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                          for the [then] Pro version.

                          Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                          Thanks! :)

                          Ian C. Purdie
                          Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                          http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                        • Ian C. Purdie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                            Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                            [POST]

[...]

                            [/POST]
                          • Eric Fookes
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                              Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                              received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                              email address.

                              Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                              suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                              wish list.

                              We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                              NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                              Eric Fookes
                              http://www.fookes.com/