Re: [NH] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      Sure, see below.

      Don Passenger
      http://michianatiming.com

      On 6/16/2012 1:32 PM, Eric Fookes wrote:
      > Dear Notetabber,
      >
      > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      > this email?
      >
      > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      > program enhancements.
      >
      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
      Data manipulation
      HTML editing
      perl and php coding

      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
      Powerful and incredible clip language that allows you to do amazing
      things with data files, reorder data, interact with other programs and
      reorder/reduce data to desired fields or elements

      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
      clip language and regular expression searches

      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      > another editor?
      ditto

      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      > offer?
      syntax highlighting
      page folding

      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
      It is the single most used program on my computer. I just trained
      another person and it is incredible to watch their power increase as
      they learned regular expression searches and then began to understand clips.

      > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2012 16:26, Dido told the world:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab

        ...by the way, that page sure needs an overhaul. It was still listing
        the "latest stable" version as 6.0 (I updated it to 6.2; 7.0 will have
        to wait for it being, you know, actually available on the site), and has
        other problems I don't have enough info to fix, such as claiming that
        the first version with regexp was 5.4...

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
          I'll agree with Dido on this one. Pasteboard is cool. I use it often
          as well. I also use it as my calculator since it's already open.

          One other annoyance as we gather those (in addition to the resetting of
          search settings after a clip) is the inability to "expand" the search
          box so that I can see my entire search string.

          On the other hand I love being able to click anywhere blank in the
          search dialog box and going to the top of the document.

          On 6/16/2012 3:26 PM, Dido wrote:
          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
          >
          > :Pasteboard
          > "The pasteboard is one of the most powerful (and unusual) features,"
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab
          >
          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?
          > Pasteboard
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
            What is the limit on Highlighted text that can be copied to the Replace
            dialog?

            If I highlight a large section it doesn't go. I have manually copy it
            first then paste it in. THEN if I have another thing to replace with I
            have to use a token because I can not copy to the clipboard with
            Directory search open.
          • Larry Elliott
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
              I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
              this email?

              Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
              for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
              program enhancements.

              1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
              (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
              HTM, PHP & CSS editing
              2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
              Good text processor, good tools to edit HTML Tags and CSS statements
              3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
              The clip books and Tidy
              4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
              another editor?
              Probably the clip books
              5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
              offer?
              Don't use competing editors - settled on this one several years ago and
              don't plan to change anytime soon. Sorry, I know this is not much help, but
              it is factual.
              6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
              Compact, standard compliant web pages. I use NoteTab principally as an
              editor for web page development. Works well in writing PHP code, CSS and
              HTML tags. The clip books help me remember all the things this old brain
              gets foggy about so NoteTab and I get along really well.
              Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
              send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
              <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

                > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
                with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
                actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

                I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
                LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
                though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

                > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
                unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
                like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
                me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

                > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
                search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

                > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                > another editor?

                See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
                all.

                > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                > offer?

                See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

                > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                  Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                  html

                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                  Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
                  - multi-tabbing - clips

                  And ... the supportgroups !!

                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                  See 2

                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  > another editor?

                  Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
                  Search on disk?

                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  > offer?

                  - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
                  With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
                  etc.])

                  - unicode

                  - improved table function, for an idea see:
                  http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                  - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                  Comfort in work, see 1.

                  --
                  Adrien
                • Rudolf Horbas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                    > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                    > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                    * Gathering data with pasteboard
                    * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

                    > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                    * Quick
                    * Pasteboard
                    * Clips
                    * calculator

                    > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                    * pasteboard
                    * regex search/replace
                    * sort lines to remove duplicates
                    * calculator

                    > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                    > another editor?

                    * pasteboard

                    > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    > offer?

                    * php/css syntax highlighting

                    > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                    * quick data gathering & processing

                    Rudi
                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                      when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                      I too use disk search often.

                      Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                      as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                        I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
                        the following caveats:
                        It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
                        sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
                        extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
                        always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
                        block copy is really worthless.

                        I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
                        program I hate to even say what I don't like.

                        On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
                        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                        >> offer?
                      • Ray McDowell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                          1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                          I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                          2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                          3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                          4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                          another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                          5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                          offer? multi-level outlining.

                          6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                            On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                            > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                            > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                            Thanks for this pointer!

                            Bob

                            --
                            'I am only one;but I am still one.
                            I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                          • Ian C. Purdie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                              Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                              why not?

                              I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                              I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                              paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                              recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                              In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                              Archaic? Yes.

                              Redundant? Maybe.

                              Should I upgrade?

                              NO

                              Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                              What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                              1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                              2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                              3. "HTML - Image"

                              4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                              and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                              My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                              congratulate Eric.

                              I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                              for the [then] Pro version.

                              Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                              Thanks! :)

                              Ian C. Purdie
                              Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                              http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                            • Ian C. Purdie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                                Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                                [POST]

[...]

                                [/POST]
                              • Eric Fookes
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                                  Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                                  received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                                  email address.

                                  Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                                  suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                                  wish list.

                                  We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                                  NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                                  Eric Fookes
                                  http://www.fookes.com/