What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
      Dear Notetabber,

      I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      this email?

      Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      program enhancements.

      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      another editor?

      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      offer?

      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Dido
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
        1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
        (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

        note-taking, mainly.
        but I use it more than any other software

        2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

        ease-of-use, speed, pasteboard, and a lot more. <g>

        3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

        :Pasteboard
        "The pasteboard is one of the most powerful (and unusual) features,"
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab

        4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
        another editor?
        Pasteboard

        5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
        offer?

        I have not really tried other editors. Well, actually I have tried a few
        but stopped soon after because they just were not, IMO, as good as NoteTab.

        6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

        Being able to sooo easily create and interconnect notes.
        (One benefit I *got* was getting to know Jody Adair.)

        Dido
        (PS I am male; actually a grandpa to 7 grandkids)

        On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

        > Dear Notetabber,
        >
        > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
        > this email?
        >
        > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
        > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
        > program enhancements.
        >
        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
        > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
        >
        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
        >
        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
        >
        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
        > another editor?
        >
        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
        > offer?
        >
        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
        >

        > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
        > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > Eric Fookes
        > http://www.fookes.com/

      • Don
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
          Sure, see below.

          Don Passenger
          http://michianatiming.com

          On 6/16/2012 1:32 PM, Eric Fookes wrote:
          > Dear Notetabber,
          >
          > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
          > this email?
          >
          > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
          > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
          > program enhancements.
          >
          > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
          > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
          Data manipulation
          HTML editing
          perl and php coding

          > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
          Powerful and incredible clip language that allows you to do amazing
          things with data files, reorder data, interact with other programs and
          reorder/reduce data to desired fields or elements

          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
          clip language and regular expression searches

          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?
          ditto

          > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          > offer?
          syntax highlighting
          page folding

          > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
          It is the single most used program on my computer. I just trained
          another person and it is incredible to watch their power increase as
          they learned regular expression searches and then began to understand clips.

          > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
          > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
            Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2012 16:26, Dido told the world:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab

            ...by the way, that page sure needs an overhaul. It was still listing
            the "latest stable" version as 6.0 (I updated it to 6.2; 7.0 will have
            to wait for it being, you know, actually available on the site), and has
            other problems I don't have enough info to fix, such as claiming that
            the first version with regexp was 5.4...

            --
            MCBastos

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
          • Don
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
              I'll agree with Dido on this one. Pasteboard is cool. I use it often
              as well. I also use it as my calculator since it's already open.

              One other annoyance as we gather those (in addition to the resetting of
              search settings after a clip) is the inability to "expand" the search
              box so that I can see my entire search string.

              On the other hand I love being able to click anywhere blank in the
              search dialog box and going to the top of the document.

              On 6/16/2012 3:26 PM, Dido wrote:
              > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
              >
              > :Pasteboard
              > "The pasteboard is one of the most powerful (and unusual) features,"
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoteTab
              >
              > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
              > another editor?
              > Pasteboard
            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                What is the limit on Highlighted text that can be copied to the Replace
                dialog?

                If I highlight a large section it doesn't go. I have manually copy it
                first then paste it in. THEN if I have another thing to replace with I
                have to use a token because I can not copy to the clipboard with
                Directory search open.
              • Larry Elliott
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                  I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                  this email?

                  Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                  for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                  program enhancements.

                  1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                  (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                  HTM, PHP & CSS editing
                  2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                  Good text processor, good tools to edit HTML Tags and CSS statements
                  3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                  The clip books and Tidy
                  4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  another editor?
                  Probably the clip books
                  5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  offer?
                  Don't use competing editors - settled on this one several years ago and
                  don't plan to change anytime soon. Sorry, I know this is not much help, but
                  it is factual.
                  6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                  Compact, standard compliant web pages. I use NoteTab principally as an
                  editor for web page development. Works well in writing PHP code, CSS and
                  HTML tags. The clip books help me remember all the things this old brain
                  gets foggy about so NoteTab and I get along really well.
                  Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                  send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
                  <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 16, 2012
                    On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

                    > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                    > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                    Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
                    with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
                    actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

                    I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
                    LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
                    though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

                    > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                    That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
                    unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
                    like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
                    me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

                    > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                    Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
                    search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

                    > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                    > another editor?

                    See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
                    all.

                    > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                    > offer?

                    See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

                    > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                    It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

                    --
                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                    2312 ZD Leiden
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                      Op 16/06/2012 19:32, Eric Fookes schreef:

                      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                      html

                      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                      Pasteboard - Search on disk - templates with ^? - opening multiple tpl's
                      - multi-tabbing - clips

                      And ... the supportgroups !!

                      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                      See 2

                      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                      > another editor?

                      Hard to say, because only using NoteTab. That template ^? option? -
                      Search on disk?

                      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                      > offer?

                      - Macro recording (for clips perhaps, for minds that aren't programmers?
                      With a flow/diagram, from broad to narrow [what do you want? This, and
                      etc.])

                      - unicode

                      - improved table function, for an idea see:
                      http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                      - able to choose for nummeric entitities, instead of things like:

                      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                      Comfort in work, see 1.

                      --
                      Adrien
                    • Rudolf Horbas
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                        > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                        * Gathering data with pasteboard
                        * Processing HTML files with clips and search/replace

                        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                        * Quick
                        * Pasteboard
                        * Clips
                        * calculator

                        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                        * pasteboard
                        * regex search/replace
                        * sort lines to remove duplicates
                        * calculator

                        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                        > another editor?

                        * pasteboard

                        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                        > offer?

                        * php/css syntax highlighting

                        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                        * quick data gathering & processing

                        Rudi
                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                          I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                          when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                          I too use disk search often.

                          Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                          as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                            I guess I wish it had better block features too. I mean they work with
                            the following caveats:
                            It is not what you see is what you get, so you have to work hard
                            sometimes to get the right columns and then I sometimes have to add
                            extra spaces to my last line so that I can get the block I want. It
                            always seems a bit mysterious. Also if I have tabs in content, then
                            block copy is really worthless.

                            I feature negatives only to get positives. This is such an awesome
                            program I hate to even say what I don't like.

                            On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
                            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                            >> offer?
                          • Ray McDowell
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                              1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                              I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                              2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                              3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                              4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                              another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                              5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                              offer? multi-level outlining.

                              6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                                On 6/17/2012 4:49 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:

                                > - improved table function, for an idea see:
                                > http://www.stefan-pettersson.nu/site/table2html/

                                Thanks for this pointer!

                                Bob

                                --
                                'I am only one;but I am still one.
                                I cannot do everything,but still I can do something.

                              • Ian C. Purdie
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                                  Originally I had no intention of responding to the group, then I thought
                                  why not?

                                  I'm one of the legions across the planet using this wonderful software.

                                  I downloaded NoteTab Lite nearly a decade or more ago. I used it and
                                  paid my dues. I later upgraded to the "paid for" Pro version. I still
                                  recommend it on my site and everywhere else when the opportunity occurs.

                                  In fact? I'm checking right now? I have "NoteTab 4.95/fp full version"

                                  Archaic? Yes.

                                  Redundant? Maybe.

                                  Should I upgrade?

                                  NO

                                  Am I a professional webmaster? No I am not.

                                  What are the features I love? [in order], the ones I actually use.

                                  1. "Search Disk" - with replace

                                  2. "HTML - Hyperlink"

                                  3. "HTML - Image"

                                  4. Many other features I can't immediately remember. I don't use Clips
                                  and other stuff because to me it is totally irrelevant.

                                  My modest post isn't to "bag" Eric Fookes and Notetab, it's to
                                  congratulate Eric.

                                  I, personally am grateful for your wonderful creation and pleased I paid
                                  for the [then] Pro version.

                                  Just my .02c worth from a non-professional.

                                  Thanks! :)

                                  Ian C. Purdie
                                  Budgewoi N.S.W. Australia -
                                  http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/
                                • Ian C. Purdie
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 17, 2012
                                    Idiot Yahoo Groups. I receive email yet can't reply. I'll try again:

                                    [POST]

[...]

                                    [/POST]
                                  • Eric Fookes
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
                                      Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                                      received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                                      email address.

                                      Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                                      suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                                      wish list.

                                      We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                                      NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                                      Eric Fookes
                                      http://www.fookes.com/