Re: [NH] Link to Bookmark Opens Page Unexpectedly

    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2012
      Marcelo Bastos wrote:
      > As a general guideline, <a name="..."> anchors are something
      > to wean oneself off. Try using 'id="..."' for anchors, they
      > tend to be much more versatile.

      In principle yes, in practice I do just the opposite, but that's because
      backwards compatibilty to even the oldest browsers without loss of main
      content is important to me. If you don't mind Netscape 4 not finding the
      ancor, ID is fine.

      Johann-H├Ąck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        On 18 May 12 00:46 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
        > If you don't mind Netscape 4 not finding the
        > ancor, ID is fine.

        I take it the audience for your site is a computing museum. That
        browser must be getting on for 20 years old.

        The principle of backwards compatibility is fair enough, but in the
        real world there comes a point when it's time to move on. Do you keep
        a sabre-toothed tiger chained up in your back yard to keep the wooly
        mamoths away? No doubt you'll tell me it's very effective as you have
        seen any mamoths near your house since you got the tiger.

        :-)

        Greg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2012
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > but in the
          > real world there comes a point when it's time to move on.

          I'd like to contradict heatedly, but in this case you're probably right
          - page anchors are not essential and breaking them is merely
          inconvenient, not disabling.

          Still, as I use Netscape 4.8 for writing this post and won't change
          anytime soon, and as long as Netscape 4.8 is my standard test
          environment for no script, no CSS, no graphics, I won't stop catering
          for it in my own pages.

          > as you have
          > seen any mamoths near your house since you got the tiger.

          Haven't had a decent mammoth steak in ages. It's got so bad, I don't
          even keep hafted Levallois points in readiness any more. But I read that
          for delicate surgery ceramic knives make a comeback and I believe in
          special cases flint or obsidian is preferable to synthetic ceramics.

          Axel
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2012
            Hi Axel,

            On 18 May 12 03:20 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
            > Still, as I use Netscape 4.8 for writing this post and won't change
            > anytime soon, and as long as Netscape 4.8 is my standard test
            > environment for no script, no CSS, no graphics, I won't stop
            > catering for it in my own pages.

            In that case I understand. I'd probably still use Lynx for that
            purpose!

            Greg
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2012
              Hi Greg, Axel, and Marcelo,

              Greg and Axel, you break me up!

              Marcelo, I thought I did validate the page. When I view source in Firefox,
              I see an HTML Validator screen that shows 0 errors and 0 warnings. Maybe I
              tweaked the page after I validated it.

              Bottom line: With your help (along with a good laugh), I'm now using ID in
              the table row, and the link behaves as expected, but not tested in any of
              last century's browsers.

              Many thanks!

              Ray Shapp