Re: [NH] Pre-release #9 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 10 , May 12, 2012
      Interviewed by CNN on 12/05/2012 03:58, Eric Fookes told the world:

      > There are far fewer letters available with the ALT+letter combination as
      > they're also used to access the main menu and other fields in the dialog
      > box. And whatever choice there is left would be harder to remember than
      > the first letter of each list option.

      True, but to be truthful, I find it a bit odd to be *able* to access
      those menus from within the Find and Replace dialogs. They aren't modal,
      but they look like modal dialogs, and I sorta *expected* them to be
      modal. Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
      editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open, so it
      makes sense, I guess. It just looks odd to me, visually.

      Oh well, perhaps this can be addressed with an UI redesign for the
      future Unicode product... perhaps using a temporary toolbar/pane for
      search/replace instead of a pop-up dialog? I realize that it's not worth
      it doing this big an UI change in Notetab at this point of the product's
      lifecycle...

      >> By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
      >> documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
      >> Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog.
      >
      > That's because Alt+A is already used for the Replace All button.

      That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
      it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
      too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
      few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my DEC PDP-11.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 12, 2012
        Marcelo Bastos wrote:
        > Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
        > editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open,

        Perhaps not editing, but I frequently copy and paste both the find and
        the replace strings from the document and that's only possible with
        going back and forth between them. Secondly I sometimes reposition the
        cursor between replaces.

        > making them as similar as possible should be a win.

        Agree.
        Axel
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 10 , May 12, 2012
          Hi Marcelo,

          > That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
          > it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
          > too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
          > few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

          Those dialogs have used the same ALT shortcuts since 1997. I think it
          would upset a lot of users if I changed them now.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 10 , May 12, 2012
            Knowing it is way late in the release cycle, I wonder if the find and replace history 'limits' could be upped, or made
            into an .ini variable. I regularly reuse both, and find that they scroll off the bottom far too soon for me, causing me
            to have to recreate complex regex finds or replaces. It would be great if it could be set to, say, 25 or as an ini
            variable, whatever the user chooses.

            Regards,
            John

            Message 5 of 10 , May 20, 2012
              Eric,

              I've been using the beta almost exclusively for running my clip library. Today, I got into a situation where I couldn't
              close files, run clips or even close NoteTab. I stopped it with the task manager, and copied my library to v6.2 then
              repeated the steps that got me into this situation. V6.2 threw an error message for a clip I had miscoded. Once I fixed
              the error, it ran fine in both v6.2 and v7.0 beta. What I THINK happened is that v7.0 beta threw an error message, but
              it apparently got 'behind' NoteTab, making it invisible. I would expect that, upon clicking anywhere in NoteTab, while
              an error message is active, that the error message would be brought to the front. Not realizing there was an error make
              it necessary to shut down NoteTab and I couldn't save anything in the process, which is a less-than-desirable situation.

              I'm not sure I can duplicate this problem, and it's the first time it has happened to me. It may be that a certain
              combination of keystrokes got the error message behind NoteTab. If you want me to try to duplicate it, I can try, but I
              think if you just create a syntax error in any clip library, you should be able to replicate it.

              Regards,
              John