Re: [NH] Pre-release #9 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11 7:08 PM
      Interviewed by CNN on 11/05/2012 12:20, Eric Fookes told the world:

      > * NoteTab Pro: Fixed a few more issues in the synchronization of syntax
      > highlighting while editing HTML and CSS files.

      Didn't seriously test it yet, but from my preliminary attempts, no
      problems. So far so good.

      > * Find & Replace Dialog Boxes: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to
      > change option in the Search drop-down lists. Simply press
      > CTRL+ALT+{first letter of option name}. Example: CTRL+ALT+A sets the All
      > option and CTRL+ALT+W sets the Wildcards option.
      >
      > * You can now use CTRL+ALT+V to paste Clipboard data in HTML format (if
      > available).

      Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
      change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
      Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search & replace change is
      not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
      a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
      discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
      keyboard power users...

      The second thing, however, the "alternate paste" trick, probably could
      be exposed in the Edit menu and/or the context menu. Neither menu is
      overloaded with options now, so it should be possible.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my Franklin Translator.
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11 7:26 PM
        Interviewed by CNN on 11/05/2012 23:08, Marcelo Bastos told the world:

        > Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
        > change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
        > Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search & replace change is
        > not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
        > a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
        > discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
        > keyboard power users...

        Just sent the message and already I have a idea for exposing the
        shortcut... don't know if the idea is FEASIBLE (there might be technical
        issues I'm unaware of, I'm not a programmer), but since this is the
        first iteration of the feature, there's no backward compatibility to
        break if the shortcuts are changed.

        What if... instead of Ctrl+Alt+{option initial}, it was just Alt+{option
        letter}? That way, all you would have to do to expose the shortcut was
        to underline the relevant letter in the drop-down. Of course, Alt+A and
        Alt+W are already taken, so other keys would have to be chosen.

        By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
        documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
        Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog. If you hit Alt+A in the Replace dialog,
        you open the "Favorites" menu, while if you hit Alt+M in the Find
        dialog, you open the Modify menu (neither of which seems to be of any
        use when you are in the Search/Replace dialogs...)

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my legal pad.
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11 11:48 PM
          Hi Marcelo,

          >> * NoteTab Pro: Fixed a few more issues in the synchronization of syntax
          >> highlighting while editing HTML and CSS files.
          >
          > Didn't seriously test it yet, but from my preliminary attempts, no
          > problems. So far so good.

          Thanks for testing.

          >> * Find& Replace Dialog Boxes: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to
          >> change option in the Search drop-down lists. Simply press
          >> CTRL+ALT+{first letter of option name}. Example: CTRL+ALT+A sets the All
          >> option and CTRL+ALT+W sets the Wildcards option.
          >
          > Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
          > change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
          > Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search& replace change is
          > not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
          > a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
          > discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
          > keyboard power users...

          True, it would be nice to make those shortcuts discoverable.
          Unfortunately, there's no simply way to do this short of redesigning the
          dialog box -- which is something I'm not going to do at this stage.

          > The second thing, however, the "alternate paste" trick, probably could
          > be exposed in the Edit menu and/or the context menu. Neither menu is
          > overloaded with options now, so it should be possible.

          Initially that is precisely what I had planned. Unfortunately, the main
          menu is tightly tied to the program toolbar, main popup shortcut menu,
          and Options dialog box. So any changes to the menu involve a significant
          amount of coding.

          Furthermore, such changes render customized toolbars incompatible with
          previous versions of NoteTab. So everyone would have be forced to redo
          their toolbar customization. I felt adding the new Paste menu item
          wasn't worth all the trouble. Especially at this stage.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11 11:58 PM
            Hi Marcelo,

            Thanks for all your feedback. See comments in context below.

            >> Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
            >> change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
            >> Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search& replace change is
            >> not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
            >> a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
            >> discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
            >> keyboard power users...
            >
            > What if... instead of Ctrl+Alt+{option initial}, it was just Alt+{option
            > letter}?

            There are far fewer letters available with the ALT+letter combination as
            they're also used to access the main menu and other fields in the dialog
            box. And whatever choice there is left would be harder to remember than
            the first letter of each list option.

            > That way, all you would have to do to expose the shortcut was
            > to underline the relevant letter in the drop-down. Of course, Alt+A and
            > Alt+W are already taken, so other keys would have to be chosen.

            Underlining of hot keys is a Windows feature that is handled by field
            labels, menus and button captions (including checkboxes). It is not a
            feature of combobox list items. It could be done by custom drawing the
            list items, but I have no time to delve into that.

            > By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
            > documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
            > Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog.

            That's because Alt+A is already used for the Replace All button.

            > If you hit Alt+A in the Replace dialog,
            > you open the "Favorites" menu, while if you hit Alt+M in the Find
            > dialog, you open the Modify menu (neither of which seems to be of any
            > use when you are in the Search/Replace dialogs...)

            That should only happen if the corresponding features in the dialog box
            are disabled.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 10 , May 12 5:53 AM
              Interviewed by CNN on 12/05/2012 03:58, Eric Fookes told the world:

              > There are far fewer letters available with the ALT+letter combination as
              > they're also used to access the main menu and other fields in the dialog
              > box. And whatever choice there is left would be harder to remember than
              > the first letter of each list option.

              True, but to be truthful, I find it a bit odd to be *able* to access
              those menus from within the Find and Replace dialogs. They aren't modal,
              but they look like modal dialogs, and I sorta *expected* them to be
              modal. Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
              editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open, so it
              makes sense, I guess. It just looks odd to me, visually.

              Oh well, perhaps this can be addressed with an UI redesign for the
              future Unicode product... perhaps using a temporary toolbar/pane for
              search/replace instead of a pop-up dialog? I realize that it's not worth
              it doing this big an UI change in Notetab at this point of the product's
              lifecycle...

              >> By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
              >> documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
              >> Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog.
              >
              > That's because Alt+A is already used for the Replace All button.

              That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
              it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
              too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
              few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

              --
              MCBastos

              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

              -=-=-
              ... Sent from my DEC PDP-11.
              Message 6 of 10 , May 12 6:03 AM
                Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                > Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
                > editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open,

                Perhaps not editing, but I frequently copy and paste both the find and
                the replace strings from the document and that's only possible with
                going back and forth between them. Secondly I sometimes reposition the
                cursor between replaces.

                > making them as similar as possible should be a win.

                Agree.
                Axel
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 10 , May 12 6:03 AM
                  Hi Marcelo,

                  > That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
                  > it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
                  > too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
                  > few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

                  Those dialogs have used the same ALT shortcuts since 1997. I think it
                  would upset a lot of users if I changed them now.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 12 6:08 AM
                    Knowing it is way late in the release cycle, I wonder if the find and replace history 'limits' could be upped, or made
                    into an .ini variable. I regularly reuse both, and find that they scroll off the bottom far too soon for me, causing me
                    to have to recreate complex regex finds or replaces. It would be great if it could be set to, say, 25 or as an ini
                    variable, whatever the user chooses.

                    Regards,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 20 3:54 PM
                      Eric,

                      I've been using the beta almost exclusively for running my clip library. Today, I got into a situation where I couldn't
                      close files, run clips or even close NoteTab. I stopped it with the task manager, and copied my library to v6.2 then
                      repeated the steps that got me into this situation. V6.2 threw an error message for a clip I had miscoded. Once I fixed
                      the error, it ran fine in both v6.2 and v7.0 beta. What I THINK happened is that v7.0 beta threw an error message, but
                      it apparently got 'behind' NoteTab, making it invisible. I would expect that, upon clicking anywhere in NoteTab, while
                      an error message is active, that the error message would be brought to the front. Not realizing there was an error make
                      it necessary to shut down NoteTab and I couldn't save anything in the process, which is a less-than-desirable situation.

                      I'm not sure I can duplicate this problem, and it's the first time it has happened to me. It may be that a certain
                      combination of keystrokes got the error message behind NoteTab. If you want me to try to duplicate it, I can try, but I
                      think if you just create a syntax error in any clip library, you should be able to replicate it.

                      Regards,
                      John