Pre-release #9 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks again for all your latest feedback. Since the new website still
      isn't ready and a few more bugs were found in NoteTab, I've decided to
      release another pre-release update. Oh what fun :)

      You can download the pre-release #9 of NoteTab Light and NoteTab Pro
      Trial from here:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      Here's a list of the main changes since pre-release #8:

      * NoteTab Pro: Fixed a few more issues in the synchronization of syntax
      highlighting while editing HTML and CSS files.

      * Fixed issue with regular expression matching at the beginning of a
      line in NoteTab Std/Light.

      * Sheri was able to update her version of the ClipCode.chm Help file as
      well as the ClipCode Syntax resource. Thank you! :)

      * Find & Replace Dialog Boxes: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to
      change option in the Search drop-down lists. Simply press
      CTRL+ALT+{first letter of option name}. Example: CTRL+ALT+A sets the All
      option and CTRL+ALT+W sets the Wildcards option.

      * You can now use CTRL+ALT+V to paste Clipboard data in HTML format (if
      available).

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 11/05/2012 12:20, Eric Fookes told the world:

        > * NoteTab Pro: Fixed a few more issues in the synchronization of syntax
        > highlighting while editing HTML and CSS files.

        Didn't seriously test it yet, but from my preliminary attempts, no
        problems. So far so good.

        > * Find & Replace Dialog Boxes: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to
        > change option in the Search drop-down lists. Simply press
        > CTRL+ALT+{first letter of option name}. Example: CTRL+ALT+A sets the All
        > option and CTRL+ALT+W sets the Wildcards option.
        >
        > * You can now use CTRL+ALT+V to paste Clipboard data in HTML format (if
        > available).

        Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
        change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
        Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search & replace change is
        not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
        a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
        discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
        keyboard power users...

        The second thing, however, the "alternate paste" trick, probably could
        be exposed in the Edit menu and/or the context menu. Neither menu is
        overloaded with options now, so it should be possible.

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Franklin Translator.
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 11/05/2012 23:08, Marcelo Bastos told the world:

          > Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
          > change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
          > Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search & replace change is
          > not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
          > a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
          > discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
          > keyboard power users...

          Just sent the message and already I have a idea for exposing the
          shortcut... don't know if the idea is FEASIBLE (there might be technical
          issues I'm unaware of, I'm not a programmer), but since this is the
          first iteration of the feature, there's no backward compatibility to
          break if the shortcuts are changed.

          What if... instead of Ctrl+Alt+{option initial}, it was just Alt+{option
          letter}? That way, all you would have to do to expose the shortcut was
          to underline the relevant letter in the drop-down. Of course, Alt+A and
          Alt+W are already taken, so other keys would have to be chosen.

          By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
          documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
          Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog. If you hit Alt+A in the Replace dialog,
          you open the "Favorites" menu, while if you hit Alt+M in the Find
          dialog, you open the Modify menu (neither of which seems to be of any
          use when you are in the Search/Replace dialogs...)

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my legal pad.
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2012
            Hi Marcelo,

            >> * NoteTab Pro: Fixed a few more issues in the synchronization of syntax
            >> highlighting while editing HTML and CSS files.
            >
            > Didn't seriously test it yet, but from my preliminary attempts, no
            > problems. So far so good.

            Thanks for testing.

            >> * Find& Replace Dialog Boxes: You can now use keyboard shortcuts to
            >> change option in the Search drop-down lists. Simply press
            >> CTRL+ALT+{first letter of option name}. Example: CTRL+ALT+A sets the All
            >> option and CTRL+ALT+W sets the Wildcards option.
            >
            > Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
            > change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
            > Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search& replace change is
            > not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
            > a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
            > discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
            > keyboard power users...

            True, it would be nice to make those shortcuts discoverable.
            Unfortunately, there's no simply way to do this short of redesigning the
            dialog box -- which is something I'm not going to do at this stage.

            > The second thing, however, the "alternate paste" trick, probably could
            > be exposed in the Edit menu and/or the context menu. Neither menu is
            > overloaded with options now, so it should be possible.

            Initially that is precisely what I had planned. Unfortunately, the main
            menu is tightly tied to the program toolbar, main popup shortcut menu,
            and Options dialog box. So any changes to the menu involve a significant
            amount of coding.

            Furthermore, such changes render customized toolbars incompatible with
            previous versions of NoteTab. So everyone would have be forced to redo
            their toolbar customization. I felt adding the new Paste menu item
            wasn't worth all the trouble. Especially at this stage.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2012
              Hi Marcelo,

              Thanks for all your feedback. See comments in context below.

              >> Tested both of the above features and they work fine (well, I'll have to
              >> change the hotkey for another software because it was clashing with
              >> Ctrl+Alt+A, but that's not your fault). The search& replace change is
              >> not as discoverable as radio buttons (it will probably have to remain as
              >> a "hidden power user trick," I really can't imagine a way to make it
              >> discoverable without opening the docs), but even more convenient for
              >> keyboard power users...
              >
              > What if... instead of Ctrl+Alt+{option initial}, it was just Alt+{option
              > letter}?

              There are far fewer letters available with the ALT+letter combination as
              they're also used to access the main menu and other fields in the dialog
              box. And whatever choice there is left would be harder to remember than
              the first letter of each list option.

              > That way, all you would have to do to expose the shortcut was
              > to underline the relevant letter in the drop-down. Of course, Alt+A and
              > Alt+W are already taken, so other keys would have to be chosen.

              Underlining of hot keys is a Windows feature that is handled by field
              labels, menus and button captions (including checkboxes). It is not a
              feature of combobox list items. It could be done by custom drawing the
              list items, but I have no time to delve into that.

              > By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
              > documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
              > Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog.

              That's because Alt+A is already used for the Replace All button.

              > If you hit Alt+A in the Replace dialog,
              > you open the "Favorites" menu, while if you hit Alt+M in the Find
              > dialog, you open the Modify menu (neither of which seems to be of any
              > use when you are in the Search/Replace dialogs...)

              That should only happen if the corresponding features in the dialog box
              are disabled.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Marcelo Bastos
              Message 6 of 10 , May 12, 2012
                Interviewed by CNN on 12/05/2012 03:58, Eric Fookes told the world:

                > There are far fewer letters available with the ALT+letter combination as
                > they're also used to access the main menu and other fields in the dialog
                > box. And whatever choice there is left would be harder to remember than
                > the first letter of each list option.

                True, but to be truthful, I find it a bit odd to be *able* to access
                those menus from within the Find and Replace dialogs. They aren't modal,
                but they look like modal dialogs, and I sorta *expected* them to be
                modal. Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
                editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open, so it
                makes sense, I guess. It just looks odd to me, visually.

                Oh well, perhaps this can be addressed with an UI redesign for the
                future Unicode product... perhaps using a temporary toolbar/pane for
                search/replace instead of a pop-up dialog? I realize that it's not worth
                it doing this big an UI change in Notetab at this point of the product's
                lifecycle...

                >> By the way, I found a small inconsistency in the interface: the "all
                >> documents" option is selected by Alt+A in the "Find" dialog, but by
                >> Alt+M in the "Replace" dialog.
                >
                > That's because Alt+A is already used for the Replace All button.

                That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
                it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
                too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
                few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

                --
                MCBastos

                use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                -=-=-
                ... Sent from my DEC PDP-11.
                Message 7 of 10 , May 12, 2012
                  Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                  > Although, thinking better of it, I can see some use cases for
                  > editing the main doc while keeping the find/replace dialog open,

                  Perhaps not editing, but I frequently copy and paste both the find and
                  the replace strings from the document and that's only possible with
                  going back and forth between them. Secondly I sometimes reposition the
                  cursor between replaces.

                  > making them as similar as possible should be a win.

                  Agree.
                  Axel
                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 12, 2012
                    Hi Marcelo,

                    > That's fine, but what about changing the shortcut in the Find dialog so
                    > it matches the Replace dialog (that is, using Alt+M in the Find dialog
                    > too)? After all, the Find dialog is basically the Replace dialog with a
                    > few less options... making them as similar as possible should be a win.

                    Those dialogs have used the same ALT shortcuts since 1997. I think it
                    would upset a lot of users if I changed them now.

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 12, 2012
                      Knowing it is way late in the release cycle, I wonder if the find and replace history 'limits' could be upped, or made
                      into an .ini variable. I regularly reuse both, and find that they scroll off the bottom far too soon for me, causing me
                      to have to recreate complex regex finds or replaces. It would be great if it could be set to, say, 25 or as an ini
                      variable, whatever the user chooses.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 20, 2012
                        Eric,

                        I've been using the beta almost exclusively for running my clip library. Today, I got into a situation where I couldn't
                        close files, run clips or even close NoteTab. I stopped it with the task manager, and copied my library to v6.2 then
                        repeated the steps that got me into this situation. V6.2 threw an error message for a clip I had miscoded. Once I fixed
                        the error, it ran fine in both v6.2 and v7.0 beta. What I THINK happened is that v7.0 beta threw an error message, but
                        it apparently got 'behind' NoteTab, making it invisible. I would expect that, upon clicking anywhere in NoteTab, while
                        an error message is active, that the error message would be brought to the front. Not realizing there was an error make
                        it necessary to shut down NoteTab and I couldn't save anything in the process, which is a less-than-desirable situation.

                        I'm not sure I can duplicate this problem, and it's the first time it has happened to me. It may be that a certain
                        combination of keystrokes got the error message behind NoteTab. If you want me to try to duplicate it, I can try, but I
                        think if you just create a syntax error in any clip library, you should be able to replicate it.

                        Regards,
                        John