RE: [NH] Pre-release #4 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
      Your file predates Norton's Insight program, probably. And, when installing, you can whitelist it so it stops
      complaining. People are naturally resistant to whitelisting files that are being installed. Even I hesitated, knowing
      what it is supposed to be for. If Symantec fixes it at their end this error should go away for those that have current
      definitions.

      Because I install the beta into its own empty folder, it does not ever see any of the old files. As an ex-software
      product manager, I have been caught too many times with leftover file problems with betas, because some could be
      overwritten but not others, leaving things out of sync. So, I see the Norton error upon each install. Probably not the
      next time, since I whitelisted the file.

      Regards,
      John

      Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
      very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
      updates.

    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        >> Unfortunately that is a false positive.
        >
        > Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
        > very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
        > updates.

        The version that comes with NoteTab 7 is code signed. This was not the
        case with earlier versions.

        Code signing is supposed to reduce the risk of getting false positives,
        but some anti-virus products (like Norton) seem to ignore that information.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/