RE: [NH] Pre-release #4 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
      I thought it was safe, but a lot of people use Norton and will see this error. I reported it and sent the file to
      Symantec to see if they can fix it on their end.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > Unfortunately that is a false positive.

        Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
        very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
        updates.

        Axel
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
          Your file predates Norton's Insight program, probably. And, when installing, you can whitelist it so it stops
          complaining. People are naturally resistant to whitelisting files that are being installed. Even I hesitated, knowing
          what it is supposed to be for. If Symantec fixes it at their end this error should go away for those that have current
          definitions.

          Because I install the beta into its own empty folder, it does not ever see any of the old files. As an ex-software
          product manager, I have been caught too many times with leftover file problems with betas, because some could be
          overwritten but not others, leaving things out of sync. So, I see the Norton error upon each install. Probably not the
          next time, since I whitelisted the file.

          Regards,
          John

          Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
          very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
          updates.

        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
            Hi Axel,

            >> Unfortunately that is a false positive.
            >
            > Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
            > very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
            > updates.

            The version that comes with NoteTab 7 is code signed. This was not the
            case with earlier versions.

            Code signing is supposed to reduce the risk of getting false positives,
            but some anti-virus products (like Norton) seem to ignore that information.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/