Re: [NH] Pre-release #4 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
      Hi John,

      > I still get a Norton Insight error when installing the beta. It
      > complains of notepad.stb, and removes it. Is it a needed file?

      Unfortunately that is a false positive. Perhaps you can disable the
      warning on that file? If not, you can safely delete it. It's only used
      when the "Replace MS Notepad" feature is activated.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
        I thought it was safe, but a lot of people use Norton and will see this error. I reported it and sent the file to
        Symantec to see if they can fix it on their end.

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
          Eric Fookes wrote:
          > Unfortunately that is a false positive.

          Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
          very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
          updates.

          Axel
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
            Your file predates Norton's Insight program, probably. And, when installing, you can whitelist it so it stops
            complaining. People are naturally resistant to whitelisting files that are being installed. Even I hesitated, knowing
            what it is supposed to be for. If Symantec fixes it at their end this error should go away for those that have current
            definitions.

            Because I install the beta into its own empty folder, it does not ever see any of the old files. As an ex-software
            product manager, I have been caught too many times with leftover file problems with betas, because some could be
            overwritten but not others, leaving things out of sync. So, I see the Norton error upon each install. Probably not the
            next time, since I whitelisted the file.

            Regards,
            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
              Hi Axel,

              >> Unfortunately that is a false positive.
              >
              > Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
              > very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
              > updates.

              The version that comes with NoteTab 7 is code signed. This was not the
              case with earlier versions.

              Code signing is supposed to reduce the risk of getting false positives,
              but some anti-virus products (like Norton) seem to ignore that information.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/