RE: [NH] Pre-release #4 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
      I still get a Norton Insight error when installing the beta. It complains of notepad.stb, and removes it. Is it a needed
      file?

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
        Hi John,

        > I still get a Norton Insight error when installing the beta. It
        > complains of notepad.stb, and removes it. Is it a needed file?

        Unfortunately that is a false positive. Perhaps you can disable the
        warning on that file? If not, you can safely delete it. It's only used
        when the "Replace MS Notepad" feature is activated.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
          I thought it was safe, but a lot of people use Norton and will see this error. I reported it and sent the file to
          Symantec to see if they can fix it on their end.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
            Eric Fookes wrote:
            > Unfortunately that is a false positive.

            Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
            very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
            updates.

            Axel
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
              Your file predates Norton's Insight program, probably. And, when installing, you can whitelist it so it stops
              complaining. People are naturally resistant to whitelisting files that are being installed. Even I hesitated, knowing
              what it is supposed to be for. If Symantec fixes it at their end this error should go away for those that have current
              definitions.

              Because I install the beta into its own empty folder, it does not ever see any of the old files. As an ex-software
              product manager, I have been caught too many times with leftover file problems with betas, because some could be
              overwritten but not others, leaving things out of sync. So, I see the Norton error upon each install. Probably not the
              next time, since I whitelisted the file.

              Regards,
              John

              Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
              very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
              updates.

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
                Hi Axel,

                >> Unfortunately that is a false positive.
                >
                > Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
                > very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
                > updates.

                The version that comes with NoteTab 7 is code signed. This was not the
                case with earlier versions.

                Code signing is supposed to reduce the risk of getting false positives,
                but some anti-virus products (like Norton) seem to ignore that information.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/