Pre-release #4 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Thanks again for all your feedback so far. I've tried my best to fix all
      the reported issues. You can now download the latest pre-release of
      NoteTab Light and NoteTab Pro Trial version 7.0:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      Here's a list of the main changes since pre-release #3:

      * Brand new program icon (hope you like it). NTL, NTS, and NTP each have
      their distinctive color.

      * NTP: Added easy-on-the-eyes CSS syntax highlighting.

      * NTP: Improved HTML syntax highlighting, notably in pages that contain
      PHP, ASP, and Javascript code.

      * Improved the Strip HTML Tags feature with better handling of documents
      that contain PHP, ASP, and Javascript code.

      I've used a new method for the syntax highlighting in HTML and CSS
      documents. The challenge was to sacrifice as little performance as
      possible while making it more reliable, especially in documents that
      contain PHP, ASP, and Javascript code.

      The difficulty in developing this new method was to ensure that the
      syntax highlighting remains always synchronized while editing the code.
      Although I've spent hours testing, there may be certain processes that
      will create highlighting errors. If you discover such an issue, please
      provide instructions so that I can reproduce it at my end.

      Note that at this stage I am not planning on adding more new features --
      otherwise v7 will never launch <g>. But I will continue to fix bugs that
      you report, or at least try.

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
        I still get a Norton Insight error when installing the beta. It complains of notepad.stb, and removes it. Is it a needed
        file?

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
          Hi John,

          > I still get a Norton Insight error when installing the beta. It
          > complains of notepad.stb, and removes it. Is it a needed file?

          Unfortunately that is a false positive. Perhaps you can disable the
          warning on that file? If not, you can safely delete it. It's only used
          when the "Replace MS Notepad" feature is activated.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
            I thought it was safe, but a lot of people use Norton and will see this error. I reported it and sent the file to
            Symantec to see if they can fix it on their end.

            Regards,
            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
              Eric Fookes wrote:
              > Unfortunately that is a false positive.

              Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
              very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
              updates.

              Axel
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
                Your file predates Norton's Insight program, probably. And, when installing, you can whitelist it so it stops
                complaining. People are naturally resistant to whitelisting files that are being installed. Even I hesitated, knowing
                what it is supposed to be for. If Symantec fixes it at their end this error should go away for those that have current
                definitions.

                Because I install the beta into its own empty folder, it does not ever see any of the old files. As an ex-software
                product manager, I have been caught too many times with leftover file problems with betas, because some could be
                overwritten but not others, leaving things out of sync. So, I see the Norton error upon each install. Probably not the
                next time, since I whitelisted the file.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 16, 2012
                  Hi Axel,

                  >> Unfortunately that is a false positive.
                  >
                  > Are there recent changes to it with version 7? If not, this must be a
                  > very old error. My *.stb is from 2003 and has persisted through all
                  > updates.

                  The version that comes with NoteTab 7 is code signed. This was not the
                  case with earlier versions.

                  Code signing is supposed to reduce the risk of getting false positives,
                  but some anti-virus products (like Norton) seem to ignore that information.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/