Pre-release #2 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27 12:51 PM
      Hi everyone,

      I'm have just uploaded a new pre-release of NoteTab Light and NoteTab
      Pro Trial version 7.0.

      Here's a list of the main changes since the first pre-release:

      * Added real-time word count feature, with a choice between two counting
      methods. The feature is controlled through the View|Word Count submenu
      and the word count is displayed in the status bar next to the Ins/Ovr
      info panel. Word-count is based either on selected text or the whole
      document (or topic with Outlines). This feature is not available in
      NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial mode).

      The MS Word method returns a count that should be a close match to the
      word-count result in Microsoft Word. The NoteTab method is more
      sophisticated and counts words using a more extensive set of word
      delimiters. MS Word mostly counts words delimited by space characters.
      In the following examples, MS Word counts one word per line whereas
      NoteTab counts three words in each:
      info@...
      http://fookes.com/
      help-me-please
      2x10x250

      * When the real-time word-count feature is enabled, you can click on the
      corresponding panel in the status bar to see more detailed text
      statistics. You will see the word count based on the NoteTab method, the
      average number of characters per word, the number of sentences, and the
      average number of words per sentence. This information is particularly
      valuable to copywriters, bloggers and journalists.

      * Added new Bootstrap library, Clipbar and templates. Bootstrap, from
      Twitter, is a fantastic collection of CSS and HTML for rapidly
      developing professional-looking web sites. For more information, visit
      the official Bootstrap website through this link:
      http://www.notetab.com/redir/Bootstrap

      * Added new Clip function to count the number of words in a string:
      ^$StrWordCount("Str"[;Method])$
      Method = MsWord or NoteTab

      * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
      ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$

      C: Searches for whole words only.
      I: Ignores character case.
      R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular expression.
      *: Specifies that the search criteria uses wildcards.
      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences with ^$StrReplace. When this
      option is not used, only the first match is replaced.

      * Fixed issue in ^$GetDateToInt[(Date;DateFilter)]$ function that failed
      when date filter did not exactly match date pattern. Example:
      ^$GetDateToInt(2012-3-27;yyyy-m-d)$

      * Fixed an issue with ^$GetDocumentPath$ and the %NtbDocuments% token
      failing to use the user-defined default directories.

      * Fixed errors in the Clip Assistant.

      * Fixed an issue in the Modify | Block | Cut feature that failed to work
      if only the last character column was selected.

      If you would like to try NoteTab 7 and provide feedback before the final
      version is released, use the download links below:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      You can safely install the trial version of NoteTab Pro 7 alongside your
      paid version of NoteTab Pro 6. Just make sure you don't install it in
      the same folder!

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2012
        I have found a small bug that occurs only in NoteTab lite. I am hoping this can be fixed before NoteTab 7 goes gold, as
        some of my users use the Lite version, some use standard, and most use Pro. I have nearly 100 users, many of whom have
        purchased NoteTab just to use my clip library.

        The problem:
        The following command is supposed to add a 'tag' to the front of the line in which the cursor is located, at the time
        the clip is activated:
        ^!Jump LINE_START
        ;^!Replace "^(.*::)?" >> "Author::" RTS
        ^!Jump +1

        As can be seen, it jumps to the beginning of the line, removes any potential existing tag, adds the 'Author::' tag to
        the line and jumps to the next line, in case the next line needs a different tag. Works properly in Pro and Standard,
        but it puts the tag on the subsequent line in Lite.

        To test, just type your name in a new doc, place the cursor anyplace in that line, and use the clip.

        Regards,
        John

        info@... <mailto:info%40fookes.com>
[...]

        A: Use to replace all matched occurrences with ^$StrReplace. When this

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2012
          Hi John,

          > The problem:
          > The following command is supposed to add a 'tag' to the front of the line in which the cursor is located, at the time
          > the clip is activated:
          > ^!Jump LINE_START
          > ;^!Replace "^(.*::)?">> "Author::" RTS
          > ^!Jump +1

          Thanks for the info. The issue should now be fixed in update #3.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2012
            Thanks Eric!

            Now, the one feature I would love to see is the ability to 'call' and ;return'. You might think you could so that by
            simply writing extra clips and using the clip command, but it's not that simple. My list of over 200 clip commands would
            explode to several hundred if I did that, because in one clip, there might be 20 'calls' depending on the state of the
            data.

            So, the way it would work is that a ^!Call [label] would be exactly like a GoTo, or a Jump EXCEPT that the line number
            of the Call+1 would be remembered, and upon seeing a ^!Return, it would resume processing after the Call. That way, a
            group of subfunctions that only apply to that clip subsection would be possible.

            The alternatives I know all too well � either write a separate clip for each 'subfunction' (not acceptable, since they
            only pertain to one section of one clip library), or you have to arrange the sequence of tests and processes in some
            sort of an order, and process through all of them, hoping you get the most complex first. That is most unsatisfactory,
            and results in trying to do too much at one time, which leads to errors later. OR you have to write the same code over
            and over, each time you need that function. The point is that these little subroutines could be called over and over
            within a given clip, so that when a certain condition is found, and a fix needed, it could be implemented by calling a
            subroutine, instead of duplicating that code each time it is needed. As we all know, it is far easier to manage a single
            instance of code than many instances of the same code plocked down in different places.

            Here is how, within one clip subsection, I would envision this working:
            Clip name: Process Data.
            Inside Process Data
            Find abc
            If error, skip +1
            call ABCRepair
            find def
            If error, skip +1
            Call DEFRepair
            goto AfterSubroutines

            :ABCRepair
            Replace this for that
            Return
            :DEFRepair
            Replace this for that
            Return
            :AfterSubroutines

            That may seem very simplistic, but in fact it is more complicated than that. Let's say, for example, that you want to
            change case of some text based on some test. If the subroutine name is 'change case', and if the calling section stores
            a value to say what is to be changed, then the subroutine would use the variable to process and achieve the desired
            result. That subroutine could be called anywhere from within the body of the current clip section, and anything could be
            changed, based on the variable set by the calling function.

            This would be a HUGE step forward for NoteTab in terms of programmability. It is already the best, and we thank you for
            your insight and effort in bringing us what is easily the best such editor around. But this would help justify a price
            increase, while not adding substantially to the complexity of the system. (From a developer's view.)

            No options would be needed � a simple call to a subroutine and a simple return from it is all that would be needed,
            except error code for when the called subroutine doesn�t exist, or a return is encountered without a call to return to.
            Please give this some consideration. It would GREATLY simplify my life, where I could simply write functions that could
            be used over and over, exactly like separate clips can be used now, but for use ONLY within one clip section.

            Regards,
            John