[NH] html tables - can I clip?

  • Mary A. Kelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15 8:19 PM
      Hey guys!

      (I haven't joined the clips list - yet!). I have this genealogy site where
      I set up 'tables' of ancestral information. I currently just use an html
      template (NTP of course) and fill in the appropriate spaces with the proper
      info.

      Would it be feasible to make myself a clip (after studying up of course)
      instead of using my html template as I do now or should I just forget about
      the idea - sent it to this list as it is currently html. I haven't joined
      the clip list yet because most of your clip messages just go right over my
      head - I'm waiting to a find a 'NTP clip beginners tutorial for dumb
      bunnies' before I start anything clipwise.

      In order that you can check out the source one of the pages is at:
      http://www.cyberbeach.net/~mkelly/resa.htm

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16 2:11 AM
        Hi Mary,

        > Would it be feasible to make myself a clip (after studying up
        > of course) instead of using my html template as I do now or
        > should I just forget about the idea - sent it to this list as
        > it is currently html.

        Yes, it should be no problem for you. Doing something like you
        want is really just another template, but you will add some basic
        Clip commands where you want the fields to ask you what data to
        put in.

        What you want to do it put in the basic prompt where you want to
        enter data at. I think it would be easiest for you to make a
        copy of your source and in one place add one prompt:
        ^?[Description]. You can put some default text in if you want:
        ^?[Description=Home] I did three for you. If you will notice,
        ^?[Researcher One's eMail Address], is there twice but will only
        show up once in the dialog that comes up when the Clip is
        clicked. Both entries will have the same address though after
        you click OK. You will need to make sure you do not use the same
        description of the Clip more than once unless you intend it to be
        that way as I just described. That is why I put Researcher One.
        The next one would be Researcher 2 or whatever you decide.

        ^?[Description=Home]
        ^?[Researcher One's Name]
        ^?[Researcher One's eMail Address]

        AN ORIGINAL CANADIAN KELLY/KELLEY ANCESTOR
        <th rowspan="4" bgcolor="D5DFC4"> Amos Kelly
        <big snip>

        > I haven't joined the clip list yet because most of your clip
        > messages just go right over my head - I'm waiting to a find a
        > 'NTP clip beginners tutorial for dumb bunnies' before I start
        > anything clipwise.

        I suggest you start out by reading and trying the examples in
        Help under Clip Basics. Look at Eric's SampleCode Library also
        at the Clips he has in the Clip Editor (right click over the
        Library and choose "Edit clip."). If it makes your head spin,
        click on another. Make a copy of a Clip when you think you
        understand enough of it to make some changes. Make a change at a
        time and see what the change does. I found that is one of the
        best ways to learn.

        Once you start understanding a bit, you can start a project you
        want to do. Sign up for the Clips list if and when you get stuck
        and ask questions!!! There are not a whole lot of people that
        will build Clips for you, but a number of people are willing to
        help out when they see somebody is trying. Kay (Granny) Roath
        has the Clip Language Programming for beginners as well for $5
        that you might try. I believe this will get you there:
        http://www.kay.net

        Happy HTMLin'!
        Jody

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16 2:23 AM
          Hi Mary,

          > Would it be feasible to make myself a clip...

          I got to thinking that you may not know what to do with the
          sections of the page when it is done. I suspect you will do it
          by sections, a table for each of the different tables you have.
          What you would do it take one of the tables and add the prompts
          like I said in a new document. Select it, right click over the
          Library where you want it added, and choose "Add from Document."
          You may also ricght click over the Library where you want to put
          the Clip and choose "New clip..." When the Clip Editor opens put
          your source in there and add your prompts.

          Happy HTMLin'!
          Jody

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...