Re: [NH] Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
      Eric Fookes wrote:
      > You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
      > the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
      > Page field.

      Yes. I can't reproduce it right now, but I have ended up with a
      read-only uneditable test that way. "Open as" sometimes seems not work.
      Also after running my UTF-8 to ANSI conversion script the text with
      correct ANSI characters was shown as if it were DOS encoded and I
      couldn't make the correct characters appear except by making a new empty
      document and copying the contents into it. In all, whenever there are
      UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
      loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
      replace them by warning messages.

      N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
      In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

      > Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
      > funding issues.

      Don't give away so many free updates. I mean it, I expect a lot but I am
      prepared to pay your very reasonable prices for it.

      > I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
      > PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
      > over the years.

      Mouse is evil and page up loses everything in sight instead of just
      adding one more line. Also keyboard shortcuts for Clipbar items would be
      nice.

      > That is already on the to-do list.

      Thanks.

      Axel
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        Thanks for your latest comments.

        > ... In all, whenever there are
        > UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
        > loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
        > replace them by warning messages.

        I think such a change would upset a lot of users that appreciate the way
        NoteTab handles UTF-8 files. With all due respect, I don't think you
        represent a typical user in the way you deal with such data.

        > N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
        > In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

        I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
        to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
        them in alphabetical order.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
          Eric Fookes wrote:
          > I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
          > to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
          > them in alphabetical order.

          No, no, I said TAB sequence. After <Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
          name" field. Pressing <Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
          as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
          come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
          finally back to "file name".
          Logically "code page" ought to belong between "file type" and "read
          only", not beween "cancel" and "look in", don't you agree?
          I rarely use the code page choice, but when I do I find it a lot of
          hassle to reach.

          Axel
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
            On 21/03/2012 19:47, Axel Berger wrote:
            > No, no, I said TAB sequence. After<Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
            > name" field. Pressing<Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
            > as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
            > come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
            > finally back to "file name".

            Oh, okay. Now I see. I was not aware of that issue. I'm not sure if
            there is a way to control the tab sequence in the Windows File dialog
            box, but I will investigate this.

            Thanks Axel.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/