RE: [NH] Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
      As I installed Pro Trial on my Win7-64 computer, Norton antivirus blocked an 'stb' file. I can uninstall and reinstall,
      if further testing is needed.

      ?Category: Resolved Security Risks
      Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
      3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
      Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

      Category: Quarantine
      Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
      3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
      Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

      If there is a different location at which to post these issues, please note it.
      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
        > the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
        > Page field.

        Yes. I can't reproduce it right now, but I have ended up with a
        read-only uneditable test that way. "Open as" sometimes seems not work.
        Also after running my UTF-8 to ANSI conversion script the text with
        correct ANSI characters was shown as if it were DOS encoded and I
        couldn't make the correct characters appear except by making a new empty
        document and copying the contents into it. In all, whenever there are
        UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
        loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
        replace them by warning messages.

        N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
        In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

        > Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
        > funding issues.

        Don't give away so many free updates. I mean it, I expect a lot but I am
        prepared to pay your very reasonable prices for it.

        > I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
        > PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
        > over the years.

        Mouse is evil and page up loses everything in sight instead of just
        adding one more line. Also keyboard shortcuts for Clipbar items would be
        nice.

        > That is already on the to-do list.

        Thanks.

        Axel
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
          Hi Axel,

          Thanks for your latest comments.

          > ... In all, whenever there are
          > UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
          > loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
          > replace them by warning messages.

          I think such a change would upset a lot of users that appreciate the way
          NoteTab handles UTF-8 files. With all due respect, I don't think you
          represent a typical user in the way you deal with such data.

          > N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
          > In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

          I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
          to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
          them in alphabetical order.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
            Eric Fookes wrote:
            > I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
            > to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
            > them in alphabetical order.

            No, no, I said TAB sequence. After <Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
            name" field. Pressing <Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
            as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
            come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
            finally back to "file name".
            Logically "code page" ought to belong between "file type" and "read
            only", not beween "cancel" and "look in", don't you agree?
            I rarely use the code page choice, but when I do I find it a lot of
            hassle to reach.

            Axel
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
              On 21/03/2012 19:47, Axel Berger wrote:
              > No, no, I said TAB sequence. After<Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
              > name" field. Pressing<Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
              > as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
              > come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
              > finally back to "file name".

              Oh, okay. Now I see. I was not aware of that issue. I'm not sure if
              there is a way to control the tab sequence in the Windows File dialog
              box, but I will investigate this.

              Thanks Axel.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/