Re: [NH] Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
      Eric Fookes wrote:
      > Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

      I'm not going to denigrate the worthwhile additions but do want to list
      what's missing:

      1) I need to disable the terrible second guessing introduced with UTF-8.
      I need to be able to tell NoteTab "treat all text as standard ANSI
      encoded and editable unless explicitly told otherwise". Warnings are
      fine, crippling me is not.
      2) Flexible highlighting for e.g. LaTeX.
      3) Scrolling the text window up and down by lines through a key
      sequence. Waiting until the cursor reaches the top or bottom before
      scrolling commences is a bore.

      A very nice thing would be Regex capability with ^$StrReplace()$ as well
      as with ^!Replace. Whenever I need both, Regex in the Find and functions
      in the Replace, things tend to get rather complicated.

      Axel
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        Thanks for your speedy feedback. See my comments below...

        > 1) I need to disable the terrible second guessing introduced with UTF-8.
        > I need to be able to tell NoteTab "treat all text as standard ANSI
        > encoded and editable unless explicitly told otherwise". Warnings are
        > fine, crippling me is not.

        You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
        the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
        Page field.

        > 2) Flexible highlighting for e.g. LaTeX.

        Customizable syntax highlighting is not going to be implemented in the
        current editions of NoteTab because such a feature is not supported by
        the input control. However, we do have such a feature in a completely
        rewritten Unicode version of NoteTab that uses a different input
        control. Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
        funding issues.

        > 3) Scrolling the text window up and down by lines through a key
        > sequence. Waiting until the cursor reaches the top or bottom before
        > scrolling commences is a bore.

        I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
        PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
        over the years.

        > A very nice thing would be Regex capability with ^$StrReplace()$ as well
        > as with ^!Replace. Whenever I need both, Regex in the Find and functions
        > in the Replace, things tend to get rather complicated.

        That is already on the to-do list. Just haven't had time to implement it
        as other features were a higher priority.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
          As I installed Pro Trial on my Win7-64 computer, Norton antivirus blocked an 'stb' file. I can uninstall and reinstall,
          if further testing is needed.

          ?Category: Resolved Security Risks
          Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
          3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
          Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

          Category: Quarantine
          Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
          3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
          Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

          If there is a different location at which to post these issues, please note it.
          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
            Eric Fookes wrote:
            > You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
            > the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
            > Page field.

            Yes. I can't reproduce it right now, but I have ended up with a
            read-only uneditable test that way. "Open as" sometimes seems not work.
            Also after running my UTF-8 to ANSI conversion script the text with
            correct ANSI characters was shown as if it were DOS encoded and I
            couldn't make the correct characters appear except by making a new empty
            document and copying the contents into it. In all, whenever there are
            UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
            loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
            replace them by warning messages.

            N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
            In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

            > Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
            > funding issues.

            Don't give away so many free updates. I mean it, I expect a lot but I am
            prepared to pay your very reasonable prices for it.

            > I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
            > PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
            > over the years.

            Mouse is evil and page up loses everything in sight instead of just
            adding one more line. Also keyboard shortcuts for Clipbar items would be
            nice.

            > That is already on the to-do list.

            Thanks.

            Axel
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
              Hi Axel,

              Thanks for your latest comments.

              > ... In all, whenever there are
              > UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
              > loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
              > replace them by warning messages.

              I think such a change would upset a lot of users that appreciate the way
              NoteTab handles UTF-8 files. With all due respect, I don't think you
              represent a typical user in the way you deal with such data.

              > N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
              > In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

              I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
              to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
              them in alphabetical order.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
                Eric Fookes wrote:
                > I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
                > to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
                > them in alphabetical order.

                No, no, I said TAB sequence. After <Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
                name" field. Pressing <Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
                as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
                come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
                finally back to "file name".
                Logically "code page" ought to belong between "file type" and "read
                only", not beween "cancel" and "look in", don't you agree?
                I rarely use the code page choice, but when I do I find it a lot of
                hassle to reach.

                Axel
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
                  On 21/03/2012 19:47, Axel Berger wrote:
                  > No, no, I said TAB sequence. After<Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
                  > name" field. Pressing<Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
                  > as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
                  > come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
                  > finally back to "file name".

                  Oh, okay. Now I see. I was not aware of that issue. I'm not sure if
                  there is a way to control the tab sequence in the Windows File dialog
                  box, but I will investigate this.

                  Thanks Axel.

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/