Pre-release of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of a pre-release version
      of NoteTab 7.0 -- at last! :)

      Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

      * Under Windows 32-bit with the /3GB option and Windows x64, NoteTab can
      now allocate resources past the 2GB address limit when needed (up to 4 GB).

      * Added support for wildcard searching in find/replace tools. This
      feature is not available in NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial
      mode). The following tokens are provided:

      * = matches 0 or more word characters. Example: "jo*" matches "JO",
      "John", "Jody", "joint", "join_leave".

      # = matches 0 or more word characters, including HTML entity
      characters. Example: "na#" matches "naïve", "naïve", and "naïve".

      ** = matches 0 or more characters and can span across words within a
      line. Example: "click**link" matches "click link", "click on link",
      "clicking on link", "Click on this link", but not "click on links".

      ? = matches exactly one word character. Example: "jo?" matches "Job"
      and "jot", but not "JO", "John", "Jody", and "joint".

      ~ = matches 0 or one word characters. Example: "jo~" matches "JO",
      "Job", and "jot", but not "John", "Jody", and "joint".

      & = matches exactly one word character or one HTML entity. Example:
      "caf&" matches "café", "café", and "café".
      Word characters include alphanumeric characters, all extended ANSI
      characters, as well as "_".

      To search with wildcard tokens, select the Wildcards option in the
      Search drop-down list. Choose Standard for literal searching and
      "Regular Exp." for searching with regular expressions.

      The ^!Find and ^!Replace Clip commands also support wildcard searching.
      Use "*" as an option parameter. The following example searches for words
      that end in "tab":
      ^!FIND "*tab" C*

      * Added new HTML-CSS and HTML-AutoReplace libraries and Clipbar, which
      include support for HTML5 and CSS3. They replace the following outdated
      files (note that these are not uninstalled by NoteTab):
      HTML.clb
      HTML-ar.clb
      CSS1.clb
      HTML-1.ctb
      HTML-2.ctb
      CSS1.ctb

      * Added two new web page templates (Web page.tpl and Web page HTML5.tpl)
      to replace the following outdated files (note that these are not
      uninstalled by NoteTab):
      HTML.tpl
      CSS1.tpl

      * Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest release, which is
      based on PCRE 8.30.

      * A confirmation dialog box is now displayed when the Close All menu
      command is used.

      * The Find and Replace dialog boxes now show search results in a balloon
      (unless you are using Blind-User mode) instead of a message box. This
      speeds up you work as you no longer need to click on the message box OK
      button to close it.

      * The "Search Disk.fvr" Favorites file created after a Search Disk
      operation now removes the maximum limit of 65 files.

      * Program file is now code signed to reduce the risk of anti-virus false
      positives.

      * Fixed printing issue whereby last page or pages failed to print.

      * Fixed issue with "Save Directory" setting being ignored under the "Use
      Default Directories" option.

      * Fixed issue with "Disk Files" option in "Quick List" when "Show Full
      Names" option is turned off.

      * Fixed issue when pasting text with non-Windows line breaks into
      NoteTab Pro.

      * Partially fixed issue with disappearing Clip wizard labels under
      Windows 7 (though the problem does reappear if you hit the Alt key).

      * Fixed issue when comparing negative integer values in Clips.

      * Fixed issue in ^$GetDate(Date Mask;+/-days)$ function when using the
      "+/-days" parameter.

      * Some other minor improvements and issues fixed.

      * Updated documentation.

      There are still a couple of features missing from the pre-release
      copies. I'll save them as a surprise for later... <g>

      The price for NoteTab Pro 7 will be increased to $39.95 (sorry about
      that). The new pricing is necessary to make NoteTab financially viable
      again. Registered users will benefit from a 50% upgrade discount.
      Customers who purchased NoteTab this year will be entitled to a free
      upgrade.

      NoteTab Std will no longer be sold as a separate product, but will be
      included with NoteTab Pro. However, it will be available for free as a
      single product through TrialPay.

      If you would like to try NoteTab 7 and provide feedback before the final
      version is released, use the download links below:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      You can safely install the trial version of NoteTab Pro 7 alongside your
      paid version of NoteTab Pro 6. Just make sure you don't install it in
      the same folder!

      I do hope you will like this new release, even though the program
      interface hasn't changed. A lot of work has gone into it, and as I said
      earlier, there are still a couple of surprises to come...

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
        Eric Fookes wrote:
        > Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

        I'm not going to denigrate the worthwhile additions but do want to list
        what's missing:

        1) I need to disable the terrible second guessing introduced with UTF-8.
        I need to be able to tell NoteTab "treat all text as standard ANSI
        encoded and editable unless explicitly told otherwise". Warnings are
        fine, crippling me is not.
        2) Flexible highlighting for e.g. LaTeX.
        3) Scrolling the text window up and down by lines through a key
        sequence. Waiting until the cursor reaches the top or bottom before
        scrolling commences is a bore.

        A very nice thing would be Regex capability with ^$StrReplace()$ as well
        as with ^!Replace. Whenever I need both, Regex in the Find and functions
        in the Replace, things tend to get rather complicated.

        Axel
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
          Hi Axel,

          Thanks for your speedy feedback. See my comments below...

          > 1) I need to disable the terrible second guessing introduced with UTF-8.
          > I need to be able to tell NoteTab "treat all text as standard ANSI
          > encoded and editable unless explicitly told otherwise". Warnings are
          > fine, crippling me is not.

          You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
          the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
          Page field.

          > 2) Flexible highlighting for e.g. LaTeX.

          Customizable syntax highlighting is not going to be implemented in the
          current editions of NoteTab because such a feature is not supported by
          the input control. However, we do have such a feature in a completely
          rewritten Unicode version of NoteTab that uses a different input
          control. Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
          funding issues.

          > 3) Scrolling the text window up and down by lines through a key
          > sequence. Waiting until the cursor reaches the top or bottom before
          > scrolling commences is a bore.

          I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
          PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
          over the years.

          > A very nice thing would be Regex capability with ^$StrReplace()$ as well
          > as with ^!Replace. Whenever I need both, Regex in the Find and functions
          > in the Replace, things tend to get rather complicated.

          That is already on the to-do list. Just haven't had time to implement it
          as other features were a higher priority.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
            As I installed Pro Trial on my Win7-64 computer, Norton antivirus blocked an 'stb' file. I can uninstall and reinstall,
            if further testing is needed.

            ?Category: Resolved Security Risks
            Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
            3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
            Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

            Category: Quarantine
            Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Path - Filename
            3/21/2012 09:01,High,notepad.stb (Suspicious.MH690.A) detected by Auto-Protect,Quarantined,Resolved - No Action
            Required,c:\programs\notetabpro 7\notepad.stb

            If there is a different location at which to post these issues, please note it.
            Regards,
            John

            I'm pleased to announce to you the availability of a pre-release version
            of NoteTab 7.0 -- at last! :)

            Here's a list of the main changes since version 6.2:

            * Under Windows 32-bit with the /3GB option and Windows x64, NoteTab can
            now allocate resources past the 2GB address limit when needed (up to 4 GB).

            * Added support for wildcard searching in find/replace tools. This
            feature is not available in NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial
            mode). The following tokens are provided:

            * = matches 0 or more word characters. Example: "jo*" matches "JO",
            "John", "Jody", "joint", "join_leave".

            # = matches 0 or more word characters, including HTML entity
            characters. Example: "na#" matches "na�ve", "naïve", and "naïve".

            ** = matches 0 or more characters and can span across words within a
            line. Example: "click**link" matches "click link", "click on link",
            "clicking on link", "Click on this link", but not "click on links".

            ? = matches exactly one word character. Example: "jo?" matches "Job"
            and "jot", but not "JO", "John", "Jody", and "joint".

            ~ = matches 0 or one word characters. Example: "jo~" matches "JO",
            "Job", and "jot", but not "John", "Jody", and "joint".

            & = matches exactly one word character or one HTML entity. Example:
            "caf&" matches "caf�", "café", and "café".

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
              Eric Fookes wrote:
              > You do realize that such an option is already available? For example, in
              > the Open File dialog box you select "UTF-8 (no conversion)" in the Code
              > Page field.

              Yes. I can't reproduce it right now, but I have ended up with a
              read-only uneditable test that way. "Open as" sometimes seems not work.
              Also after running my UTF-8 to ANSI conversion script the text with
              correct ANSI characters was shown as if it were DOS encoded and I
              couldn't make the correct characters appear except by making a new empty
              document and copying the contents into it. In all, whenever there are
              UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
              loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
              replace them by warning messages.

              N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
              In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

              > Unfortunately we've had to put its development on hold due to
              > funding issues.

              Don't give away so many free updates. I mean it, I expect a lot but I am
              prepared to pay your very reasonable prices for it.

              > I think most users do this through the mouse scroll wheel or using
              > PgUp/PgDown. We've received very few requests for a keyboard shortcut
              > over the years.

              Mouse is evil and page up loses everything in sight instead of just
              adding one more line. Also keyboard shortcuts for Clipbar items would be
              nice.

              > That is already on the to-do list.

              Thanks.

              Axel
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
                Hi Axel,

                Thanks for your latest comments.

                > ... In all, whenever there are
                > UTF characters and NoteTab's recognition kicks in, I always end up with
                > loads of hassle and aggravation. Please take away all automatisms and
                > replace them by warning messages.

                I think such a change would upset a lot of users that appreciate the way
                NoteTab handles UTF-8 files. With all due respect, I don't think you
                represent a typical user in the way you deal with such data.

                > N.B: I hope the Tab sequence in the file open selectbox is repaired now.
                > In 6.2 it's totally illogical.

                I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
                to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
                them in alphabetical order.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Eric Fookes wrote:
                  > I'm not aware of anything being broken in that feature. When you select
                  > to open multiple files through the File Open dialog box, NoteTab opens
                  > them in alphabetical order.

                  No, no, I said TAB sequence. After <Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
                  name" field. Pressing <Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
                  as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
                  come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
                  finally back to "file name".
                  Logically "code page" ought to belong between "file type" and "read
                  only", not beween "cancel" and "look in", don't you agree?
                  I rarely use the code page choice, but when I do I find it a lot of
                  hassle to reach.

                  Axel
                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 21, 2012
                    On 21/03/2012 19:47, Axel Berger wrote:
                    > No, no, I said TAB sequence. After<Ctl><O> the cursor is in the "file
                    > name" field. Pressing<Tab> repeatedly moves it to "file type" and "open
                    > as read-only", jumping over the "code page" field between. Continuing we
                    > come to "open", "cancel", "code page", "look in", the list area, and
                    > finally back to "file name".

                    Oh, okay. Now I see. I was not aware of that issue. I'm not sure if
                    there is a way to control the tab sequence in the Windows File dialog
                    box, but I will investigate this.

                    Thanks Axel.

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/