RE: [NH] Re: Need help with path for PHP incude

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
      Seems I also remember that some servers need to have an 'include' directory where the includes are kept?

      John Wallace
      Pontiac Power Rules !!!
      www.wallaceracing.com <http://www.wallaceracing.com/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
        On 3/7/2012 4:57 AM, John Wallace wrote:
        > Seems I also remember that some servers need to have an 'include' directory where the includes are kept?

        I think this is just a user preference.
        I put my includes wherever needed.

        But, in this instance, poor planning caused a problem with my being able
        to figure out how to access the files from another directory.

        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
          Rudi,
          Thanks for your elaboration and details below.
          But, I admit it strained my pea sized brain!
          -Mike
          ====================

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
            I'm back again with the same need but a different situation.

            I want to use an include within and include.

            I would like to use a master menu as an include for each of my pages.
            The master is here:
            http://epicroadtrips.us/master_menu.php

            I want to use the master include in this include:
            <?php include("w1navigation.php"); ?>

            This would be the file w1navigation.php with the "master_menu.php" include.
            I am hoping for this result for each page menu:
            http://epicroadtrips.us/2012/escape/
            The above link uses a copy and paste to include the master menu.

            ~~~~~~~~w1navigation.php~~~~~~~~~
            <h4>Mike Breiding's Epic Road Trips<br /> Spain: 10 Days in Segovia</h4>

            <ul>
            <li class="week">Week 1</li>
            <li<?php if ($thisPage=="day1-03september2010") echo "
            id=\"currentpage\""; ?>><a href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/spain/d1/'
            title="Day 1: My First Flight East - Pittsburgh, DC, Madrid,
            Segovia">Day 1: My First Flight East - Pittsburgh, DC, Madrid,
            Segovia</a></li>

            <?php include("master_menu.php"); ?>

            li style="font-size: 100%; margin-left: 15px; margin-top:
            15px"><strong><a href="http://EpicRoadTrips.us" target="_blank"
            title="Mike Breiding's Epic Road Trips">
            </ul>

            dad's web site ">This site is dedicated to my father:<br />
            Read more...</a></p>
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            The question is the same as before.
            How to direct each current page menu to the same master_menu.php file so
            it is added to the current page menu.

            I am not sure this is clear or not.

            Thanks,
            -Mike

            On 3/6/2012 6:49 PM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
            > Mick Housel wrote:
            >
            >> include("http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
            >> (long line above)
            >>
            >> You can't get any more straightforward than completely defining the
            >> path, my preference.
            >
            > Yes, you can. Not only will this fail in certain configs
            > (allow_url_fopen, allow_url_include): There's no point using a slow http
            > request via the network when the file is on the same disk.
            > Use an absolute path instead, and prepend it with the server var
            > DOCUMENT_ROOT:
            >
            > <?php
            > include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
            > '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
            > ?>
            >
            > Rudi

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
              I've never tried that, but if not supported, I would break the master include into two parts, then call the first one,
              then the 'sub' include, then the second part of the master include.

              Regards,
              John

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                On 7/28/2012 1:21 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                > I've never tried that, but if not supported, I would break the master include into two parts, then call the first one,
                > then the 'sub' include, then the second part of the master include. Regards, John

                Hi John,
                My main brain twister is how to point all the pages to one include file.
                In other words - figuring out the path to use for each one.

                If the include within an include is not supported I think I can work
                with that. But the path question is my concern.

                Thanks,
                -Mike
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                  > But the path question is my concern.

                  Not sure if I've got it, but could you write is as an absolute path
                  beginning with a slash "/" to make it work from everywhere?

                  Axel
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 29, 2012
                    On 7/28/2012 7:22 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >> But the path question is my concern.
                    >
                    > Not sure if I've got it, but could you write is as an absolute path
                    > beginning with a slash "/" to make it work from everywhere?

                    I will see what I can do with that.
                    Thanks,
                    -Mike

                  • rhorbas@gmx.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 30, 2012
                      the following is failsafe:

                      $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/path/to/your/include.php'

                      Rudi

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 30, 2012
                        On 7/30/2012 11:07 AM, rhorbas@... wrote:
                        > the following is failsafe:
                        >
                        > $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/path/to/your/include.php'

                        Thanks.
                        I will play with this.
                        -Mike