Re: [NH] Need help with path for PHP incude

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
      This is getting weird...

      On 3/6/2012 1:05 PM, Mick Housel wrote:
      > There's two ways to do this :
      > include("../../mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
      > each ../ takes you up a level from where you started. This works fairly
      > easy but can get complicated. Above we climbed up to the 2011 directory
      > and then told it where to drop into from there.

      Yep, "complicated" is why I have been scratching my head on this.
      Your path above is correct! But, when I use it I loose the styling for
      the bottom menu for http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/fossil_creek/index1.php

      <?php include("../w1bot_nav.php"); ?>
      <?php include("../../mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php"); ?>

      If you look at the page you will see the first include keeps the
      styling, the second one does not. Why?
      I tried using only "../../mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php" and it
      still happens.
      I then included both paths to illustrate the problem.

      > or
      > include("http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
      > (long line above)

      Again, I tried this for the top, sidebar navigation. Does not work:

      <?php
      include_once("http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
      ?>

      > You can't get any more straightforward than completely defining the
      > path, my preference.

      Yes, that would be best. But, I cannot get it to work.
      Thanks,Mick
      -Mike

      > HTH.
      >
      > Mick
      >

      > ±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±
      >
      > All politicians should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can
      > identify their corporate sponsor.
      >
      > On 3/6/2012 9:34 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      >> Greetings,
      >> I seem to have forgotten something very basic.
      >>
      >> I cannot seem to get the path correct for this:
      >> I need http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/fossil_creek/ to use the PHP menu
      >> from here:
      >> http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php
      >>
      >> How would the path be written to do that?
      >> <?php include("path to PHP menu"); ?>
      >>
      >> I have tried and tried but I cant seem to get it.
      >> Thanks,
      >> -Mike
    • Rudolf Horbas
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
        <?php
        include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
        '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
        ?>

        should do it.

        HTH,
        Rudi

        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schrieb am 06.03.2012 18:34:
        > Greetings,
        > I seem to have forgotten something very basic.
        >
        > I cannot seem to get the path correct for this:
        > I need http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/fossil_creek/ to use the PHP menu
        > from here:
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php
        >
        > How would the path be written to do that?
        > <?php include("path to PHP menu"); ?>
        >
        > I have tried and tried but I cant seem to get it.
        > Thanks,
        > -Mike
      • Rudolf Horbas
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
          Mick Housel wrote:

          > include("http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
          > (long line above)
          >
          > You can't get any more straightforward than completely defining the
          > path, my preference.

          Yes, you can. Not only will this fail in certain configs
          (allow_url_fopen, allow_url_include): There's no point using a slow http
          request via the network when the file is on the same disk.
          Use an absolute path instead, and prepend it with the server var
          DOCUMENT_ROOT:

          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
            On 3/6/2012 4:42 PM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
            > <?php
            > include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
            > '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
            > ?>
            > should do it.
            > HTH, Rudi

            That did it!
            Have you any input on the use of a specific path:

            ====================

          • rhorbas@gmx.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schrieb am 07.03.2012 00:54:
              > On 3/6/2012 4:42 PM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
              >> <?php
              >> include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
              >> '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
              >> ?>
              >> should do it.
              >> HTH, Rudi
              >
              > That did it!

              Great!

              > Have you any input on the use of a specific path:
              > http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php

              What exactly do you mean?

              Rudi (off to bed now)
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
                On 3/6/2012 5:01 PM, rhorbas@... wrote:
                > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schrieb am 07.03.2012 00:54:
                >> On 3/6/2012 4:42 PM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
                >>> <?php include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
                >>> '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php'; ?>
                >>> should do it. HTH, Rudi

                >> That did it!
                > Great!
                >
                >> Have you any input on the use of a specific path:
                >> http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php
                >
                > What exactly do you mean?

                You answered that here:

                > Yes, you can. Not only will this fail in certain configs
                > (allow_url_fopen, allow_url_include): There's no point using a slow http
                > request via the network when the file is on the same disk.
                > Use an absolute path instead, and prepend it with the server var
                > DOCUMENT_ROOT:
                >
                > <?php
                > include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
                > '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
                > ?>

                > Rudi (off to bed now)

                Sleep tight!
                -Mike
              • rhorbas@gmx.net
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                  > On 3/6/2012 5:01 PM, rhorbas@... wrote:
                  >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schrieb am 07.03.2012 00:54:
                  >
                  >>> That did it!
                  >> Great!
                  >>
                  >>> Have you any input on the use of a specific path:
                  >>> http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php
                  >>
                  >> What exactly do you mean?
                  >
                  > You answered that here:
                  >
                  >> Yes, you can. Not only will this fail in certain configs
                  >> (allow_url_fopen, allow_url_include): There's no point using a slow http
                  >> request via the network when the file is on the same disk.
                  >> Use an absolute path instead, and prepend it with the server var
                  >> DOCUMENT_ROOT:
                  >>
                  >> <?php
                  >> include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
                  >> '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
                  >> ?>

                  That's basically the same -- I'm just elaborating on this specific
                  method of inclusion, because it's rather failsafe.

                  Inclusion of files via http is definitely slower and completely
                  unnecessary here, because php is allowed to get the file via it's own
                  disk system.
                  Getting the file via http has other disadvantages: It's being processed
                  by php first, so any *php* code in the file is not available to the
                  files including it, unless it generates php code itself, which would be
                  really awkward.
                  In other contexts, where you don't have complete control over the
                  included file's contents, it's even a dangerous idea: Any generated php
                  code in the file is being executed in the server's context, so it would
                  be easy to insert malicious code. That's why many server configurations
                  will have disabled it by default.

                  So in a nutshell:

                  Never use this method, unless you have very specific reasons to do so.

                  Relative paths ("../../path/to/include.php") will get you there, albeit
                  it takes some experience to find the correct path.

                  Absolute paths with the server's document root (that's where the files
                  are stored that are accessible via a browser) as a variable will almost
                  always work.

                  Rudi
                • John Wallace
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Seems I also remember that some servers need to have an 'include' directory where the includes are kept?

                    John Wallace
                    Pontiac Power Rules !!!
                    www.wallaceracing.com <http://www.wallaceracing.com/>

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                      On 3/7/2012 4:57 AM, John Wallace wrote:
                      > Seems I also remember that some servers need to have an 'include' directory where the includes are kept?

                      I think this is just a user preference.
                      I put my includes wherever needed.

                      But, in this instance, poor planning caused a problem with my being able
                      to figure out how to access the files from another directory.

                      Thanks,
                      -Mike
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Rudi,
                        Thanks for your elaboration and details below.
                        But, I admit it strained my pea sized brain!
                        -Mike
                        ====================

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                          I'm back again with the same need but a different situation.

                          I want to use an include within and include.

                          I would like to use a master menu as an include for each of my pages.
                          The master is here:
                          http://epicroadtrips.us/master_menu.php

                          I want to use the master include in this include:
                          <?php include("w1navigation.php"); ?>

                          This would be the file w1navigation.php with the "master_menu.php" include.
                          I am hoping for this result for each page menu:
                          http://epicroadtrips.us/2012/escape/
                          The above link uses a copy and paste to include the master menu.

                          ~~~~~~~~w1navigation.php~~~~~~~~~
                          <h4>Mike Breiding's Epic Road Trips<br /> Spain: 10 Days in Segovia</h4>

                          <ul>
                          <li class="week">Week 1</li>
                          <li<?php if ($thisPage=="day1-03september2010") echo "
                          id=\"currentpage\""; ?>><a href='http://epicroadtrips.us/2010/spain/d1/'
                          title="Day 1: My First Flight East - Pittsburgh, DC, Madrid,
                          Segovia">Day 1: My First Flight East - Pittsburgh, DC, Madrid,
                          Segovia</a></li>

                          <?php include("master_menu.php"); ?>

                          li style="font-size: 100%; margin-left: 15px; margin-top:
                          15px"><strong><a href="http://EpicRoadTrips.us" target="_blank"
                          title="Mike Breiding's Epic Road Trips">
                          </ul>

                          dad's web site ">This site is dedicated to my father:<br />
                          Read more...</a></p>
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                          The question is the same as before.
                          How to direct each current page menu to the same master_menu.php file so
                          it is added to the current page menu.

                          I am not sure this is clear or not.

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike

                          On 3/6/2012 6:49 PM, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
                          > Mick Housel wrote:
                          >
                          >> include("http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php");
                          >> (long line above)
                          >>
                          >> You can't get any more straightforward than completely defining the
                          >> path, my preference.
                          >
                          > Yes, you can. Not only will this fail in certain configs
                          > (allow_url_fopen, allow_url_include): There's no point using a slow http
                          > request via the network when the file is on the same disk.
                          > Use an absolute path instead, and prepend it with the server var
                          > DOCUMENT_ROOT:
                          >
                          > <?php
                          > include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] .
                          > '/2011/mtown2gv_nov_2011_p1/w1navigation.php';
                          > ?>
                          >
                          > Rudi

                        • John Shotsky
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                            I've never tried that, but if not supported, I would break the master include into two parts, then call the first one,
                            then the 'sub' include, then the second part of the master include.

                            Regards,
                            John

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                              On 7/28/2012 1:21 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                              > I've never tried that, but if not supported, I would break the master include into two parts, then call the first one,
                              > then the 'sub' include, then the second part of the master include. Regards, John

                              Hi John,
                              My main brain twister is how to point all the pages to one include file.
                              In other words - figuring out the path to use for each one.

                              If the include within an include is not supported I think I can work
                              with that. But the path question is my concern.

                              Thanks,
                              -Mike
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 28, 2012
                                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                > But the path question is my concern.

                                Not sure if I've got it, but could you write is as an absolute path
                                beginning with a slash "/" to make it work from everywhere?

                                Axel
                              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 29, 2012
                                  On 7/28/2012 7:22 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                  > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                  >> But the path question is my concern.
                                  >
                                  > Not sure if I've got it, but could you write is as an absolute path
                                  > beginning with a slash "/" to make it work from everywhere?

                                  I will see what I can do with that.
                                  Thanks,
                                  -Mike

                                • rhorbas@gmx.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 30, 2012
                                    the following is failsafe:

                                    $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/path/to/your/include.php'

                                    Rudi

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 30, 2012
                                      On 7/30/2012 11:07 AM, rhorbas@... wrote:
                                      > the following is failsafe:
                                      >
                                      > $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/path/to/your/include.php'

                                      Thanks.
                                      I will play with this.
                                      -Mike