Re: [NH] Missing body border

  • M Peloquin
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24 9:37 AM
      A trick I use when using divisions is that I always name them and then
      put a comment when I close them similar to this. I'll use brackets here
      but imagine the LessThan GreaterThan symbols. Has saved me lots of time
      when trouble-shooting code. It's easy to miss an error with divisions.

      [div id="one" style"...;"]
      stuff stuff
      stuff stuff
      stuff stuff
      [div id="other" style"...;"]
      other stuff other stuff
      [/div] [!-- end of one --]
      stuff stuff
      stuff stuff
      [/div] [!-- end of other --]

      On 2/24/2012 11:07 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

      > I have looked at this until I am blue in the face and cannot see the
      > problem.
      > Should appear as here: http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/welcome/
      >
      > When I do a count for "<div" and "</div" I get an even number.
      > If there is an "improper nesting of elements" I can't see it.
      >
      > This is driving me nuts!
      > -Mike
      > ===================================
      >
      > http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes
      > <http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes>
      >
      > Document Checked

      > Character encoding: US-ASCII
      > Level of HTML: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
      >
      > Errors and Warnings
      >
      > Line 453, character 6:

      > ^
      > Error: end tag for element div which is not open; try removing the
      > end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

      The shortest distance between two points in always
      under construction.
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24 9:59 AM
        Great idea.
        Some are named, some not.
        The page I am using is a template and I have used it 100s of times.
        I have screwed it up before with various slips of the mouse and keyboard.
        But, until now, I was always able to find the culprit.
        Thanks,
        -Mike
        ````````````````````````````````````

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24 10:00 AM
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > This is driving me nuts!

          Right. The w3c validator refuses to validate because line 372 contains a
          non-us-ascii character. Overriding with cp-1252 I get the same unmatched
          /DIV in line 470 you do.

          My Firefox plugin tells me more:
          a) "This content cannot be displayed in a frame"
          This is probaly due to my not allowing scripts from Google.

          b) The noscript part of the frame has 37 errors

          Using another editor with one feature NoteTab lacks - a hierarchy test
          for arbitrary begin and end tags I can confirm your <DIV> and </DIV> do
          inedeed match. There may still be a wrong embedding there somewhere.
          Hint: I write <DIV>s with this clip:

          ^!Set %varCLS%=^?[&Class]; %varID%=^?[&ID]; %varALN%=^?[(T=L)&Align
          (transitional)=center|_|justify|left|right]; %varSTL%=""
          ^!IfEmpty "^%varALN%" leer
          ^!Set %varSTL%="text-align: ^%varALN%"
          :leer
          ^!InsertWizardHtml <DIV ID="^$StrLower("^%varID%")$"
          CLASS="^$StrLower("^%varCLS%")$" STYLE="^%varSTL%"
          ALIGN="^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$">^P^&^P</DIV><!-- end
          #^$StrUpper("^%varID%")$ .^$StrUpper("^%varCLS%")$
          ^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$ -->

          (First and last lines are long) The comments after all the </DIV>s help
          me not to lose track.

          My suggestion: Try it without that frame and Google script.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24 10:07 AM
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > This is driving me nuts!

            I think I found it. You have placed an <IFRAME> inside a <P>. <P>s may
            only contain inline, no block elements.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24 10:09 AM
              I found the problem.
              There was an errant </div> in a header PHP include.
              Border is back now but I am getting the error Axel reports below in the
              w3c validator.
              The WDG validator gives it the OK.
              http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes

              Curious..
              -Mike
              ================

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24 10:34 AM
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > I found the problem.
                > There was an errant </div> in a header PHP include.

                Funny that, but you seem to be right. The remaining error reported here
                is a doubly defined ID. I'm not sure what the purpose of an ID inside a
                LI is. You might use TITLE.

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24 10:36 AM
                  On 2/24/2012 10:32 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > Download EditPadPro trial. The trial never actually expires, it just nags you to purchase it each time you run it.
                  > Besides a lot of other cool features, it matches up tags. Click on a div, it shows you what it thinks are both ends. If
                  > you see a single div between its highlighted ones, that is a nesting error. I use this all the time in complex pages.
                  > http://www.editpadpro.com/

                  I did as you suggested. But, I could not see any problems.
                  EditPadPro found each div opening and ending and I just could not see
                  anything out of whack.
                  I can't wait too see what the is causing this!
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike
                  ``````````````````````````

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24 2:17 PM
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    >I can't wait too see what the is causing this!

                    Causing what? The DIV thing is solved, right? What's the new problem?
                    You have 4 errors now but I'm afraid got lost somewhere along the
                    road and don't know which of them you want help with.

                    Lotta
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26 6:35 AM
                      Sorry for the delayed reply.