Missing body border

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
      I have looked at this until I am blue in the face and cannot see the
      problem.
      Should appear as here: http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/welcome/

      When I do a count for "<div" and "</div" I get an even number.
      If there is an "improper nesting of elements" I can't see it.

      This is driving me nuts!
      -Mike
      ===================================

      http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes

      Document Checked

      Character encoding: US-ASCII
      Level of HTML: XHTML 1.0 Transitional

      Errors and Warnings

      Line 453, character 6:

      ^
      Error: end tag for element div which is not open; try removing the
      end tag or check for improper nesting of elements
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
        Download EditPadPro trial. The trial never actually expires, it just nags you to purchase it each time you run it.
        Besides a lot of other cool features, it matches up tags. Click on a div, it shows you what it thinks are both ends. If
        you see a single div between its highlighted ones, that is a nesting error. I use this all the time in complex pages.
        http://www.editpadpro.com/

        There are many other cases where it is better than NoteTab for certain tasks. It is full Unicode, so you can see things
        that you can't see in NoteTab.

        Regards,
        John

        I have looked at this until I am blue in the face and cannot see the
        problem.
        Should appear as here: http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/welcome/

        When I do a count for "<div" and "</div" I get an even number.
        If there is an "improper nesting of elements" I can't see it.

        This is driving me nuts!
        -Mike
        ===================================

        http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F
        <http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes
        > &warnings=yes

        Document Checked

        Character encoding: US-ASCII
        Level of HTML: XHTML 1.0 Transitional

        Errors and Warnings

        Line 453, character 6:

        ^
        Error: end tag for element div which is not open; try removing the
        end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

      • M Peloquin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
          A trick I use when using divisions is that I always name them and then
          put a comment when I close them similar to this. I'll use brackets here
          but imagine the LessThan GreaterThan symbols. Has saved me lots of time
          when trouble-shooting code. It's easy to miss an error with divisions.

          [div id="one" style"...;"]
          stuff stuff
          stuff stuff
          stuff stuff
          [div id="other" style"...;"]
          other stuff other stuff
          [/div] [!-- end of one --]
          stuff stuff
          stuff stuff
          [/div] [!-- end of other --]

          On 2/24/2012 11:07 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

          > I have looked at this until I am blue in the face and cannot see the
          > problem.
          > Should appear as here: http://epicroadtrips.us/2011/az/welcome/
          >
          > When I do a count for "<div" and "</div" I get an even number.
          > If there is an "improper nesting of elements" I can't see it.
          >
          > This is driving me nuts!
          > -Mike
          > ===================================
          >
          > http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes
          > <http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes>
          >
          > Document Checked

          > Character encoding: US-ASCII
          > Level of HTML: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
          >
          > Errors and Warnings
          >
          > Line 453, character 6:

          > ^
          > Error: end tag for element div which is not open; try removing the
          > end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

          The shortest distance between two points in always
          under construction.
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
            Great idea.
            Some are named, some not.
            The page I am using is a template and I have used it 100s of times.
            I have screwed it up before with various slips of the mouse and keyboard.
            But, until now, I was always able to find the culprit.
            Thanks,
            -Mike
            ````````````````````````````````````

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              > This is driving me nuts!

              Right. The w3c validator refuses to validate because line 372 contains a
              non-us-ascii character. Overriding with cp-1252 I get the same unmatched
              /DIV in line 470 you do.

              My Firefox plugin tells me more:
              a) "This content cannot be displayed in a frame"
              This is probaly due to my not allowing scripts from Google.

              b) The noscript part of the frame has 37 errors

              Using another editor with one feature NoteTab lacks - a hierarchy test
              for arbitrary begin and end tags I can confirm your <DIV> and </DIV> do
              inedeed match. There may still be a wrong embedding there somewhere.
              Hint: I write <DIV>s with this clip:

              ^!Set %varCLS%=^?[&Class]; %varID%=^?[&ID]; %varALN%=^?[(T=L)&Align
              (transitional)=center|_|justify|left|right]; %varSTL%=""
              ^!IfEmpty "^%varALN%" leer
              ^!Set %varSTL%="text-align: ^%varALN%"
              :leer
              ^!InsertWizardHtml <DIV ID="^$StrLower("^%varID%")$"
              CLASS="^$StrLower("^%varCLS%")$" STYLE="^%varSTL%"
              ALIGN="^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$">^P^&^P</DIV><!-- end
              #^$StrUpper("^%varID%")$ .^$StrUpper("^%varCLS%")$
              ^$StrUpper("^%varALN%")$ -->

              (First and last lines are long) The comments after all the </DIV>s help
              me not to lose track.

              My suggestion: Try it without that frame and Google script.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > This is driving me nuts!

                I think I found it. You have placed an <IFRAME> inside a <P>. <P>s may
                only contain inline, no block elements.

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                  I found the problem.
                  There was an errant </div> in a header PHP include.
                  Border is back now but I am getting the error Axel reports below in the
                  w3c validator.
                  The WDG validator gives it the OK.
                  http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fepicroadtrips.us%2F2011%2Faz%2Fbrown_mountain%2F&warnings=yes

                  Curious..
                  -Mike
                  ================

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > I found the problem.
                    > There was an errant </div> in a header PHP include.

                    Funny that, but you seem to be right. The remaining error reported here
                    is a doubly defined ID. I'm not sure what the purpose of an ID inside a
                    LI is. You might use TITLE.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                      On 2/24/2012 10:32 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
                      > Download EditPadPro trial. The trial never actually expires, it just nags you to purchase it each time you run it.
                      > Besides a lot of other cool features, it matches up tags. Click on a div, it shows you what it thinks are both ends. If
                      > you see a single div between its highlighted ones, that is a nesting error. I use this all the time in complex pages.
                      > http://www.editpadpro.com/

                      I did as you suggested. But, I could not see any problems.
                      EditPadPro found each div opening and ending and I just could not see
                      anything out of whack.
                      I can't wait too see what the is causing this!
                      Thanks,
                      -Mike
                      ``````````````````````````

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                        >I can't wait too see what the is causing this!

                        Causing what? The DIV thing is solved, right? What's the new problem?
                        You have 4 errors now but I'm afraid got lost somewhere along the
                        road and don't know which of them you want help with.

                        Lotta
                      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 26, 2012
                          Sorry for the delayed reply.