Re: [NH] An annoying 'feature'

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012

      Axel-Berger@... wrote
      > It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
      > all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
      > everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
      > in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

      How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page in the Open-dialog without effect.

      But now, I have discovered  Format:Mac  on the status line, when this file is open, instead of  DOS/Windows. How can that come about?

      Bruce
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012
        bruce.somers@... wrote:
        > How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
        > in the Open-dialog without effect.

        It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
        idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
        and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
        and remove the read-only setting.

        > Format:Mac How can that come about?

        Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
        is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
        have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
        somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
        used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Rick Mitchell
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 12, 2012
          Unfortunately I can add two real-world examples of how strange key
          combinations can mysteriously happen.

          1). A drop of soda or food that ends up under or next to a Ctrl, Alt
          or other key and only makes the key stick for a second or two.

          2). I had a second keyboard and rollerball mouse hooked up to my
          system for use at an alternative chair and monitor. The keyboard and
          mouse were moved onto the chair for some reason. Now add a curious
          Jack Russell puppy. The mouse rollerball quickly became a chew toy
          while his paws randomly hit the mouse buttons and pressed various
          letters on the nearby keyboard.

          Basic lesson learned: soda and/or puppies can only lead to trouble
          when allowed access to parts of your computer designed only for your
          fingers.

          On 2012-02-01, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
          > bruce.somers@... wrote:
          >> How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
          >> in the Open-dialog without effect.
          >
          > It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
          > idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
          > and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
          > and remove the read-only setting.
          >
          >> Format:Mac How can that come about?
          >
          > Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
          > is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
          > have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
          > somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
          > used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.
          >
          > Axel
          >
          > --
          > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

          RICK MITCHELL - Atlanta - USA
          404 964 2069