Re: [NH] An annoying 'feature'

  • john041650
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

      > Thanks, but Undo is grayed out. No clip library open.  And the damned codes are already in the backup version.
      >
      > Bruce

      Are you sure NoteTab didn't make a copy of your original file with the same name but an extension of html? Depending what you did that can happen, and it would explain why undo is not available to you.

      john
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
        >> Are you sure NoteTab didn't make a copy of your original file with the same name but an extension of html? Depending what you did that can happen, and it would explain why undo is not available to you.
        >> john

        No, there is only the .txt-file .

        But things have gotten worse. The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night, but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable. The .bak-file is also corrupted.

        Too much occurs without a request for user confirmation!

        Bruce
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
          I never work on the master copy of a file. I always copy it and paste it into a new document, which has the effect of saving the document in the exact form you have selected for saving files. That means my process fixes some problems like incorrect CR's in the file. It also means I always have my master document, in case I want/need to start over. I have the pro version, with unlimited backups, but sometimes, it is just necessary to start over. The .bak file often has a usable backup, but the original is ALWAYS correct.

          I would NOT want any confirmation on any commands. I HATE confirmations, and defeat them whenever possible. My reasoning is simple – if I give a command, I expect it to do what I tell it to do without asking me if I'm sure. I do, however, have the undo set to undo past saves, so I can backstep through saved changes, if necessary. Usually, that's just so I can see the order in which things happened.

          All that said, there appears to be something else going on here. It would be nearly impossible to hit some of those shortcuts accidentally. I would look at your document saving setup, code pages, and anything else that can affect your 'plain text' files.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
            bruce.somers@... wrote:
            > The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night,
            > but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable.
            > The .bak-file is also corrupted.

            It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
            all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
            everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
            in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
              The EditPad Pro trial is perfect for this, as it's full Unicode AND has a hex mode. It can tell you what the encoding
              is. It also has highlighting for html files that shows the matching tags at both ends. Very useful, and free.
              http://www.editpadpro.com/

              Regards,
              John

              > The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night,
              > but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable.
              > The .bak-file is also corrupted.

              It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
              all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
              everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
              in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

              Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
              D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@... <mailto:Axel-Berger%40Nexgo.De>

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012

                Axel-Berger@... wrote
                > It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
                > all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
                > everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
                > in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

                How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page in the Open-dialog without effect.

                But now, I have discovered  Format:Mac  on the status line, when this file is open, instead of  DOS/Windows. How can that come about?

                Bruce
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012
                  bruce.somers@... wrote:
                  > How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
                  > in the Open-dialog without effect.

                  It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
                  idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
                  and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
                  and remove the read-only setting.

                  > Format:Mac How can that come about?

                  Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
                  is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
                  have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
                  somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
                  used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                • Rick Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 12, 2012
                    Unfortunately I can add two real-world examples of how strange key
                    combinations can mysteriously happen.

                    1). A drop of soda or food that ends up under or next to a Ctrl, Alt
                    or other key and only makes the key stick for a second or two.

                    2). I had a second keyboard and rollerball mouse hooked up to my
                    system for use at an alternative chair and monitor. The keyboard and
                    mouse were moved onto the chair for some reason. Now add a curious
                    Jack Russell puppy. The mouse rollerball quickly became a chew toy
                    while his paws randomly hit the mouse buttons and pressed various
                    letters on the nearby keyboard.

                    Basic lesson learned: soda and/or puppies can only lead to trouble
                    when allowed access to parts of your computer designed only for your
                    fingers.

                    On 2012-02-01, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                    > bruce.somers@... wrote:
                    >> How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
                    >> in the Open-dialog without effect.
                    >
                    > It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
                    > idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
                    > and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
                    > and remove the read-only setting.
                    >
                    >> Format:Mac How can that come about?
                    >
                    > Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
                    > is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
                    > have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
                    > somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
                    > used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.
                    >
                    > Axel
                    >
                    > --
                    > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                    RICK MITCHELL - Atlanta - USA
                    404 964 2069