Re: [NH] An annoying 'feature'

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
      Hi
      untick show html features in options under view.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
        Well in pro one would hit undo. I assume you have some clip library
        running. Otherwise it's probably a search and replace.

        Did you have a backup? I turn on automatic backup so I can often revert.

      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
           Don <don@...>

          On 1/30/2012 7:00 AM, bruce.somers@...[mailto:bruce.somers%40web.de] wrote:
          > I've done it again! Inadvertantly pressing some key or key-combination has changed all special characters in a file to the corresponding so-called html-entities. Can that 'feature' be disabled?
          >
          > Can they be changed back as readily, with some key combination? I find nothing in the Help-facility. What to look for?
          >
          > Many thanks for any assistance.
          >
          > Bruce

          Thanks, but Undo is grayed out. No clip library open.  And the damned codes are already in the backup version.

          Bruce
        • Don
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
            I assume that you somehow triggered:
            modify > characters to html > all special characters

            assuming there are no other ampersands you can find any codes with this
            regex find:
            \&[a-zA-Z]{1,4};

            Then write a replace routine to replace each of them.

            There are others that will not be found ... but they are not that common
            for most folks:
            http://ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm for example

            Here is a list of replaces that can be run in a clip I think:
            ^!Replace """ >> """ ACIWS
            ^!Replace "&" >> "&" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "<" >> "<" ACIWS
            ^!Replace ">" >> ">" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "˜" >> "~" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "‚" >> "‚" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "&dbquo;" >> "„" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "†" >> "†" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "‡" >> "‡" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "‰" >> "‰" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "‹" >> "‹" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "‘" >> "‘" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "’" >> "’" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "“" >> "“" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "”" >> "”" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "–" >> "–" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "—" >> "—" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "&tilde" >> "˜" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "™" >> "™" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ÿ" >> "Ÿ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace " " >> " " ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¡" >> "¡" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¢" >> "¢" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "£" >> "£" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¤" >> "¤" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¥" >> "¥" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¦" >> "¦" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "§" >> "§" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¨" >> "¨" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "©" >> "©" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ª" >> "ª" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "«" >> "«" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¬" >> "¬" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "­" >> "­ " ACIWS
            ^!Replace "®" >> "®" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¯" >> "¯" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "°" >> "°" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "±" >> "±" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "²" >> "²" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "³" >> "³" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "µ" >> "µ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¶" >> "¶" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "·" >> "·" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¸" >> "¸" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¹" >> "¹" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "º" >> "º" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¼" >> "¼" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "½" >> "½" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¾" >> "¾" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "¿" >> "¿" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "À" >> "À" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Á" >> "Á" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Â" >> "Â" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ã" >> "Ã" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ä" >> "Ä" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Å" >> "Å" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Æ" >> "Æ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ç" >> "Ç" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "È" >> "È" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "É" >> "É" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ê" >> "Ê" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ë" >> "Ë" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ì" >> "Ì" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Í" >> "Í" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Î" >> "Î" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ï" >> "Ï" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ð" >> "Ð" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ñ" >> "Ñ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ò" >> "Ò" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ó" >> "Ó" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ô" >> "Ô" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Õ" >> "Õ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ö" >> "Ö" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "×" >> "×" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ø" >> "Ø" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ù" >> "Ù" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ú" >> "Ú" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Û" >> "Û" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ü" >> "Ü" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Ý" >> "Ý" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Þ" >> "Þ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ß" >> "ß" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "à" >> "à" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "á" >> "á" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "â" >> "â" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ã" >> "ã" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ä" >> "ä" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "å" >> "å" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "æ" >> "æ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ç" >> "ç" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "è" >> "è" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "é" >> "é" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ê" >> "ê" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ë" >> "ë" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ì" >> "ì" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "í" >> "í" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "î" >> "î" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ï" >> "ï" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ð" >> "ð" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ñ" >> "ñ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ò" >> "ò" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ó" >> "ó" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ô" >> "ô" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "õ" >> "õ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ö" >> "ö" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "÷" >> "÷" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ø" >> "ø" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ù" >> "ù" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ú" >> "ú" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "û" >> "û" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ü" >> "ü" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ý" >> "ý" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "þ" >> "þ" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "ÿ" >> "ÿ" ACIWS
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
              bruce.somers@... wrote:
              > Can that 'feature' be disabled?

              Yes, and in fact I agree with you, having more keyboard shortcuts than
              one can remember and thus use sensibly is a bane not a boon. The
              combination in question is:

              HTML
              Shift+Ctrl+H Characters to HTML: Extended Characters

              In shortcuts.dat you can reassign that sequence. I'm not sure you can
              assign <nothing> to a key sequence, but you can choose something
              innocuous.

              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2012
                << HTML
                << Shift+Ctrl+H Characters to HTML: Extended Characters

                I suppose I might possibly have hit such a combination by accident. To do it intentionally requires a certain agility! Such a thing should request confirmation from the user.

                It would be nice if it were a toggle and the changes could be reversed easily.

                I can change them back 'by hand', but it is annoying.

                Bruce
              • john041650
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
                  --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                  > Thanks, but Undo is grayed out. No clip library open.  And the damned codes are already in the backup version.
                  >
                  > Bruce

                  Are you sure NoteTab didn't make a copy of your original file with the same name but an extension of html? Depending what you did that can happen, and it would explain why undo is not available to you.

                  john
                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
                    >> Are you sure NoteTab didn't make a copy of your original file with the same name but an extension of html? Depending what you did that can happen, and it would explain why undo is not available to you.
                    >> john

                    No, there is only the .txt-file .

                    But things have gotten worse. The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night, but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable. The .bak-file is also corrupted.

                    Too much occurs without a request for user confirmation!

                    Bruce
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
                      I never work on the master copy of a file. I always copy it and paste it into a new document, which has the effect of saving the document in the exact form you have selected for saving files. That means my process fixes some problems like incorrect CR's in the file. It also means I always have my master document, in case I want/need to start over. I have the pro version, with unlimited backups, but sometimes, it is just necessary to start over. The .bak file often has a usable backup, but the original is ALWAYS correct.

                      I would NOT want any confirmation on any commands. I HATE confirmations, and defeat them whenever possible. My reasoning is simple – if I give a command, I expect it to do what I tell it to do without asking me if I'm sure. I do, however, have the undo set to undo past saves, so I can backstep through saved changes, if necessary. Usually, that's just so I can see the order in which things happened.

                      All that said, there appears to be something else going on here. It would be nearly impossible to hit some of those shortcuts accidentally. I would look at your document saving setup, code pages, and anything else that can affect your 'plain text' files.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
                        bruce.somers@... wrote:
                        > The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night,
                        > but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable.
                        > The .bak-file is also corrupted.

                        It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
                        all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
                        everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
                        in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2012
                          The EditPad Pro trial is perfect for this, as it's full Unicode AND has a hex mode. It can tell you what the encoding
                          is. It also has highlighting for html files that shows the matching tags at both ends. Very useful, and free.
                          http://www.editpadpro.com/

                          Regards,
                          John

                          > The txt-file was ok when I terminated Notetab last night,
                          > but now it has some peculiar encoding. Nothing is readable.
                          > The .bak-file is also corrupted.

                          It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
                          all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
                          everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
                          in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

                          Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                          D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@... <mailto:Axel-Berger%40Nexgo.De>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012

                            Axel-Berger@... wrote
                            > It probably hasn't, but on opening NoteTab assumes it has and reads it
                            > all wrong. Try first looking into it with something showing you
                            > everything as it really is, a hex editor perhaps and second when opening
                            > in Notetab tell the program exactly what encoding to use.

                            How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page in the Open-dialog without effect.

                            But now, I have discovered  Format:Mac  on the status line, when this file is open, instead of  DOS/Windows. How can that come about?

                            Bruce
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 1, 2012
                              bruce.somers@... wrote:
                              > How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
                              > in the Open-dialog without effect.

                              It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
                              idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
                              and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
                              and remove the read-only setting.

                              > Format:Mac How can that come about?

                              Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
                              is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
                              have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
                              somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
                              used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.

                              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                            • Rick Mitchell
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 12, 2012
                                Unfortunately I can add two real-world examples of how strange key
                                combinations can mysteriously happen.

                                1). A drop of soda or food that ends up under or next to a Ctrl, Alt
                                or other key and only makes the key stick for a second or two.

                                2). I had a second keyboard and rollerball mouse hooked up to my
                                system for use at an alternative chair and monitor. The keyboard and
                                mouse were moved onto the chair for some reason. Now add a curious
                                Jack Russell puppy. The mouse rollerball quickly became a chew toy
                                while his paws randomly hit the mouse buttons and pressed various
                                letters on the nearby keyboard.

                                Basic lesson learned: soda and/or puppies can only lead to trouble
                                when allowed access to parts of your computer designed only for your
                                fingers.

                                On 2012-02-01, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:
                                > bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                >> How do I do that? I tried specifying a Western European Code Page
                                >> in the Open-dialog without effect.
                                >
                                > It ought to work just like that. However I too found NoteTab to behave
                                > idiosyncratically since the introduction of its limited UTF capabilities
                                > and it often does not do what I expect it to. Try "UTF-8 no conversion"
                                > and remove the read-only setting.
                                >
                                >> Format:Mac How can that come about?
                                >
                                > Easy. All text files consist of bytes 32 to 255 plus some extra. There
                                > is no way to find out what the bytes above 128 are supposed to mean, you
                                > have to guess. As ever it's easy to guess wrong. I'd guess you've
                                > somehow inserted one byte, that's very rare in ANSI but a frequently
                                > used character in Mac and that toggled NoteTab's heuristic.
                                >
                                > Axel
                                >
                                > --
                                > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

                                RICK MITCHELL - Atlanta - USA
                                404 964 2069